Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with my Stewart Warner tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Feb 18, 2008.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I have a Stewart Warner half-sweep electric tachometer measuring rpm in hundreds, with just two leads coming from the back.

They are marked:

K + (assuming positive lead)

2 - (assuming ground lead)

I know it needs to be connected to the distributor, but where do the leads actually connect? Where have you connected yours?

Any help would be appreciated. Almost finished with the wiring - this is one of the last steps. Then it's on to EVERYTHING else...

Thanks

dv

2. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

do you know what model it is? that may help since a lot of Stewart Warner electric tachs used a seperate sender.

3. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I'd assume that the tach is old enough to need a sender. A newer one would have 3 leads- pos, ground, & dist.
    I'm waiting for a manual (eBay) for the tachs with senders so I could trouble shoot mine.

4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I do not know the model number as there are no external markings and I'd hate to screw it up by attempting to take it apart.

If it needs a sender, that's something else I'll have to buy....

ah well, maybe next payday I'll shop around for one - just in case.

dv

5. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Ok, bumping my own thread....

I've got the SW tach. out of the dash now, looking at the back, in addition to the K + and the 2 -, there is a serial number, or something similar on the bottom of the casing.

in silver paint that matches the K + 2 - marks.

then, printed with what looks like gloss black paint or an ink stamp is a three digit number.

96(obscured by the silver painted +). it may be a 5 but it's impossible to tell.

can anyone offer any easy advice on what model this may be, and what model sender I may need?

thanks,

dv

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

My Green Line 8000rpm tach has the same number and it needs a sender. The 965? might be the date (Sept. 65)

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Theres two types of senders that should work with it, the big red can type which is what I've got p.n. 429373 (8 cyl. 4 cycles 12 volts) and the smaller gold colored one that attaches directly to the back of the tach.

8. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

cool, do you know if there is a specific number or model sender I should be searching for?

there's an identical - except for the K and 2 markings - tach on eBay with a sender attached, but I can't get any info off the picture except 8cyl 4 cycle...

thanks,

dv

9. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

drat!! you type faster than me!!!!

dv

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'm not sure if the part numbers matter or not. I know I've seen the big red senders with different numbers even though they are still marked 8cyl., 4cycle, 12v. Maybe they made revisions to it? Another thing, my sender has 3 connections and one I just spotted on the bay has 4, weird.

11. Silverado85

Silverado85

Hey guys. I have a similar green line and 0410171600.jpg a red box sender. Do you have any wiring diagrams? 0410171600a.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Silverado85

Silverado85

13. thought I would toss up a photo or two of an old SW green stripe I have showing the wiring and how the gold box connects, click on the pictures to see em bigger
    IMG_20170410_163139_880.jpg

IMG_20170410_163159_314.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The post just below yours shows the + and - connection points between sender and tach. Somehow yours must have been worn or wiped away. Bad thing is that sender most likely an early version with obsolete batteries. At least all the ones I've seen without the removable adjuster plug on top did.

15. Silverado85

Silverado85