Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The T of Indecision - A '27 Touring Body on a Model A Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will Kimble, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Over the last few years I have pursued or started a half dozen projects with nothing to show for it. Bought a Last Refuge RPU body and frame from a friend, and sold it. Bought all the parts to build an original-style '32 chassis, then sold them, then bought them all again. Tried to buy a '28-29 phaeton body & failed. Tried to buy a '33 chassis with a Model B engine and blew it. Thought I bought a beautiful '29 special coupe chassis with fenders, and it didn't work out.

All this time I have been restoring early Ford transmissions and have met some really neat people. Had a couple friends give me some nice Model A and early Ford parts when I was getting discouraged with the cost of the hobby. Finally had some pieces fall into place and have a vision for something I can actually complete.

After much soul searching I decided what I really wanted was a Model A/B engine and a '39 transmission. Something light, small and topless to put it in. Hadn't really been thinking about a T, but a good friend offered me a really nice '27 touring body that I had been eyeing for a while and I decided to go for it. Many thanks to hotrodfil for sharing his T touring build here on the HAMB, it gave me confidence to proceed. I plan to use his '27 Mercury as a template but will probably end up more in the late forties era than the late twenties, maybe a little more hotrod and a little less British. And I am creating a build thread in hopes I can help someone the way he helped me.

So Model A frame, engine & rearend. '39 transmission. '28-29 fenders on a '27 touring body. I bought a bunch of nice '40 parts and would like to use them - wheels, brakes, steering wheel & box. Plan to chop the windshield some, put the top in the attic and a tonneau over the back seat. 90% sure I am going to use a '32 grille shell and cut the bottom off, but I am getting the T radiator and grille and may try those out first. Also thinking about assembling it as a highboy with bobbed rear T fenders initially and adding the A fenders later, we'll see...

2. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Finally armed with a plan, I can get to work. I had a decent Model A frame I had bought cheap, it was nice & square and not pitted but had a cracked rear crossmember, a poorly repaired frame horn and a bolted in front crossmember. I wanted to run a T rear spring and had a nice T rear crossmember, so I took the pile over to my friend Mike Wagner at Cornfield Customs and asked for help. He replaced the bad frame horn with an original chunk I had squirreled away and grafted the T rear crossmember into the Model A rear crossmember - beautiful work! Next up for the frame is to rivet in the front crossmember.

IMG_0354.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice looking frame there. Keep up the good work!

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's on here now so everyone is anticipating a finished build. Looking forward to watch it come together.

6. JC55

JC55
    from Ohio

I'll be following along as well. I appreciate the honesty on your indecisiveness...I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a bunch of T stuff including a body and a model A chassis. Lookin' good, keep up the posts!

7. Wow! story sounds way to familiar. Here is where I'm at on the same road. Notice the Fan is turning. That means it runs and drives as you see it. Same basic parts list but with a Truck bed.
    20161101_125339.jpg
    The Wizzard

48fordnut, bct and MO_JUNK like this.
  8. Sounds like a fun build. Subscribed.

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

The t touring rear body mount holes almost line up perfect with the model a rear crossmember. That is how I aligned mine up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

IMG_0361.JPG

Wheels turned out nice.

brEad, slv63 and Mild Mitch like this.
  11. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

IMG_0372.JPG So here's my touring body, sort of a "pick-n-pull" scenario... Job today was to get it uncovered, will work on getting it off the frame next.

12. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0374.JPG

Apparently the engine is a bad customer, I am not fluent in T stuff so I don't know. But I trust the guys who say it is... My deal is for the body only.

brEad, Dannerr and spurgeonforge like this.