Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Two-toned Gold/White "40" pk-up @ LSRU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Does anyone know the back story or current owner of this truck? Picture by Tom T from the "Round-up". As an 11 yr. old kid in August of 1962 I marveled at the craftsmanship it took to turn a '37 Ford Sedan into this beautiful custom truck when I saw it in R&C. Now I see that the truck miraculously survives. Wow, when so many customs from that era were lost to time and/or crushers it's a joy to see this one again in all of its' glory. Kudos to whoever the current owner is for keeping it alive........Don. IMG_20170408_121853228.jpg 04102017_0003.jpg

2. Apparently the truck had a 1957 Lincoln 368 ci when built. Wonder if it still does. Did anyone at the LSRU talk with the owner?

Stogy, kiwijeff and lothianwilly71 like this.
  3. Really cool old custom although it would appear there was considerable indecision when originally painted. Good on the current owner to resist changing it at this point

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. have that mag too.......bump

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Thanks for the bump.:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. The cab kind of reminds of a Hudson truck cab.

7. ....................It does kinda have that same profile.

8. I wouldn't dream of painting anything like that today, but it fits the era very well.
    Cool old custom truck.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The awe and splendor of that truck is hidden without the shared feature. Gotta admit, with that single pic I was less than stoked. Now, seeing how 'engineered' it is, wow. Still don't like the paint but mamma did so I'll give it a pass there. Ok, wow again...;)

10. ..............Always good to have someone in the house with fine taste.:D;)

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  11. Wow, good eye spotting that from the LSRU Don. Obviously that truck did stick in your mind all theses years.
    I'll 3rd or 4th the paint scheme, but it must have been right for its day. Great documentation on that truck, glad it survives to this day.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  12. Yeah, I surely get what everyone is saying about the paint. It certainly wouldn't be my choice if I were fortunate enough to be the owner. That said, I guess it worked in 1962 and it may be part of the reason its' image was locked away somewhere in my brain.:)

lothianwilly71 and i.rant like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Another one here not attracted to the paint but the engineering is A+.
    The shortened frame swap screams dedication to this project over 50 years ago using the available tools of the era. Most impressive in my opinion.

14. Great looking truck with IMO an awful paint scheme. Pretty cool though that the current owner stuck with the original colour scheme don't think I could have done it.:D

15. what surprises me is the `56 Mercury frame swap....who knew frame swaps were traditional?

Stogy, scotty t and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. the-rodster

the-rodster

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing it in the magazine and probably still have that issue or what's left of it in the shed.
    I'd agree not everyone's favorite paint scheme but one that flat sticks in a guys mind all these years.
    It's one of those rigs that I am glad to see that no one decided to "update" or "make their own" too.

18. ............................Well said.:)

19. Who owns the truck now? Is he on the HAMB?

20. cracker head

cracker head

It was sold a few years ago at an auction in Ft Worth TX. It’s a real neat rig. I love it too

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I saw it at GG’s Texas Motor Speedway event a few years ago. As I remember it remains as originally built.

22. ..............................Thanks guys for the info. Cool truck for sure.