Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Soldering brackets to radiator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TBonez, Apr 8, 2017.

1. TBonez

TBonez

IMG_5770.jpg Well got the radiator mounted and no surprise I need to run an electric fan due to 1 3/4 clearance between the water pump pulley n radiator. Im going with a 12" SPAL slim fan mounted high mainly because of the taper towards the edges. My radiator is made by US Radiator and I had it shortened to keep everything in line with the cowl. There are no flanges to mount the fan and I'm not going to use those zipp-tie ones. The edges are steel and was thinking of soldering brackets to not only mount the fan but a shroud I'll build later. Question is will soldering on flanges be fine as long as I don't get the metal too hot

2. bct

bct

I've welded brackets and soldered them too. Keep an air hose and cold wet rag near when you do it. I was worried too but it went well.

3. I welded up a mounting bracket and bolted it to our 32 grill shell. Used half inch angle iron and etc. Bolted our salvage yard elec. fan to it. Nothing contacting or connected to the radiator itself..................

4. 1932tub

1932tub

If you solder the brackets make sure you rivet them as well, or why not just rivet them?
    If you drill into the radiator brackets make sure your drill bit is well back into the chuck so you don't
    drill into the radiator tube.

5. Why not make brackets to grill shell?

Hot Rod Grampa likes this.
  6. TBonez

TBonez

Was looking at the way the shell sits and that's the way I'm going. Fan's supposed to show up next week so will start fading up my brackets then

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

100_3550.JPG I've run the black plastic fan blades before and the blades go back and are flat at the front and the unit only adds about a 1/4".. Cooling was great and you don't have to mess with those silly electric fans... You can just barely see it in this photo....**Clic pic for larger image**

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Some radiators have Silver Soldered brackets......................................

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think you have room to run a metal fan on the pump. I have 2" between the pully and the radiator on mine, and at the closest the fan is about 5/8" from the radiator. It's just a simple 4 blade metal fan, and it cools the radiator just fine, I have zero overheating issues, even idling on a hot day.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Can anyone chime in thats running a zips riser? That could be an option.

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The sixties Fords', and possibly other radiators, had stamped sheet metal brackets soft soldered to the radiator. They had a fairly large area of contact.

12. If you are planning to solder the metal brackets to the brass radiator. Clean bracket of all paint , rust and grease. You need to wash the area on the brackets with muratic acid , Then with solder flux paste apply to bracket area to be soldered. Then apply little heat to bracket and apply some solder. This tins the metal to be soldered when soldered to the radiator . Now you are ready to solder the bracket to the radiator.
    Vic

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. TBonez

TBonez

Thanx Vic.

14. TBonez

TBonez

This radiator has steel on the ends with brackets but they aren't functional. Working from the shell is my best option

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

On most new radiators, the vertical sides are "hollow" for a small bit, perhaps 3/8"? I've drilled holes in them carefully for brackets and either used pop rivets or short sheet metal screws with no problems for simple fan shrouds / brackets. But drill too far, and you got a big leak. A talk with your local radiator shop for advice might help (or just let them do the welding / soldering / brazing) if you want to go that way. Gary

16. TBonez

TBonez

Thanx for the reply Gary. Ive settled on using a 12" SPRAL slim fan that will work great with a shroud. For the mounting Im going to weld brackets to the inside of the shell and avoid touching the radiator. The bracket will also accommodate the shroud.