Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Denver Heads ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dechrome, Apr 9, 2017.

1. dechrome

dechrome

I just bought a set of Ford 24 bolt aluminum heads at a swapmeet in Altamont, Il.
    I have seen Ford Denver heads and my recollection is that there were cast similar to cast iron heads externally.
    These are rather square shaped and flat across the head surface. The plugs are 18 mm.
    I have done a search in HAMB files and read about variations of Ford, Canadian and other cheater heads.
    These seem to have no marking. Any knowledge of this style or of history of these particular heads would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    dechrome IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1350.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 42merc

42merc

Kind of looks like a Thickston head.
    Appears to have bosses for the finned covers.

3. 22 track

22 track

4. I second them as being Thickstun, they would have a finned cover held on with one bolt which threads into that center boss cast into the head. The Thickston logo appears to be missing however.

[​IMG]

5. dechrome

dechrome

Thanks for the replies. These do look like Thickstun heads. A further look appears that a logo may have been removed.
    Thanks
    dechrome

6. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Hope you don't have trouble getting those old plugs out of there!

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. dechrome

dechrome

An update on the Thickstun heads that I recently purchased. The plugs did come out and threads cleaned with a 18 mm tap. the gasket surface cleaned up on surface grinder and the corrosion cleaned with a plastic bristle rotary brush.
    This came from HF and is one product that worked. Surface corrosion was quickly cleaned without marking the aluminum, including plug pockets and valve pockets.
    dechrome IMG_1362.JPG

biggeorge likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

They look like they've been milled a lot. Not much dome left.