Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Beach Hop, Whangamata NZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendlives, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Legendlives

Legendlives

I've just got back from this year's Beach Hop, and to anyone planning to come to NZ next year this really is a not-to-be-missed week.

Although it's billed as a rock'n'roll festival (and there are live bands everywhere all of the time) it's acknowledged as the biggest Hot Rod/Musclecar/Classic meeting in NZ and probably in the southern hemisphere.
    Based around the town of Whangamata on the East coast of NZ's north island, the Car Culture takes over the town and surrounding area for the week. What appears to happen is if you live there and own a Rod/Musclecar/Classic then that's OK, but if you don't you move away for the week and rent your house out to a rodder. Every road is like a car show, every supermarket carpark is a sea of gleaming paintjobs and shiny wheels, every available parking space is taken.
    Each day there is a cruise to another (local) town with a car show at the end of the cruise, and every night there is a massive cruise along the main drag which lasts until the early hours of the morning.
    The quality of some of the cars is truly world-class, the equal of anything you would see in Europe or the US. The NZ hot-rod industry is booming at the moment, and importing talent from Europe, the UK and US to help make it happen (myself included).
    All of the local businesses are friendly and welcoming, it's a shame the cops operate a 'zero tolerance' regime for the week, making sure everyone there is abiding to the letter of the law, with tickets being handed out for 'missing' front license plates and noisy exhausts. Didn't stop us firing up our supercharged alcohol altered on it's trailer and then towing it through the town (there may have been alcohol involved.....)

Without a doubt it is the best gearhead event I have ever been to. The only thing that would improve it (IMHO) is a swap meet.

Get to NZ at the end of March next year, and tell them that Legend sent you!

Cooon and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. Its an event I hope to get to one year, still a bit of a trip from the bottom of the Island. Are you bringing the Altered to Masterton this week? JW

3. Legendlives

Legendlives

Nah, all tucked up for the winter now!

4. Most likely will rain anyway:( JW

5. clem

clem

No pics then ?????

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Legendlives

Legendlives

7. spanners

spanners

Went over there from Australia a couple of years ago. Definite optical overload. If you can get there , do it. You won't be disappointed.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Whatever the next apocalypse may be, rest assured the best of metal-smithing and hot rodding will be alive and well in NZ! Gary

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Legendlives - Thanks for link but, hope someone will post some pics here too

10. clem

clem

Link is not to beach hop, but pics from all round the world with those key words.

3banjos likes this.
  11. Legendlives

Legendlives

12. Kume

Kume

Is there a thread covering the 2017 Whangamata Beach Hop? Or were there no Hamb friendly cars there?

deadbeat and Cooon like this.
  13. I heard from someone that went that there were very few early cars. JW

14. Kume

Kume

Thought that might be the case. Saw acres of fake patina fresh out of US shipping containers heading down that way last week.

Cooon and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. Mrs W wants to take her 65 Mustang to it to say she's been, I don't feel like going at all. It appears too large for NZ and seems ''Fake''to me. :( JW

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were a distinct lack of HAMB friendly early cars at the hop which is normal. My wife is the wheel police and I think she would have run out of bad taste violations . I think a lot of the later pre 72 cars are owned by folk from the city who are not necessarily car people and have a cheque book and want to be part of the scene . Whangamata is a picturesque sleepy seaside village of under 4000 people and reportedly it swells to 100000 for the hop weekend. 1200 registered cars plus 1500 unregistered and all the lookers. Cruising is like a slow moving car park at times.
    It can be considered fake , but we really enjoy catching up with good buddies from NZ and the USA Australia etc. makes it worthwhile, enjoying it for what it is ,not what it once was ,or could be in a perfect HAMB world.
    See y'all there next year for sure. Catching up with cool buddies again .
    We were lucky in that our shoebox received the favourite ford award. And our good buddies ( Jimmy and Kerry Keeys) with the very very cool custom chopped merc also invited us to be on Gene Winfields stand at the event. Memories to treasure.
    Apparently FB has some picture worth checking out.
    Note to self , suck it in next time ,ha.
    image.jpeg image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    clem, kiwijeff, Cooon and 3 others like this.
  17. Lucky bugga Brian, how cool is that to hang with Gene.........CooooooooooLLLL. JW

18. I tried bumping an old beach hop thread the other night for pics, but I guess most end up on fake book.
    I've had two cars returning home through my town, toot to me while out in the Hot Rod, one was a blue 56 Plymouth wagon.
    Our local club hosted Chuck Miller last night, who was in the country for the hop.
    For those who don't know who he is, he's the fella who built the Red Baron, and other cool show cars.

@Kiwi 4d I got a smile outer you saying your wife is the wheel police. That's priceless.
    Nice to see you guys hanging with Gene.

Kume and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife's wheel police infringement notice.
    20170331_121559.jpg

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. Pronounced" Fonga Ma tar" I believe ,got me the first time,I thought it was
    " Wang ga matter"
    Went there and had a ball a few years back with some mates,met some good people,was a good place to go on the way to the Blowout.Now that was cool!!
    NZ rules

kiwijeff, clem and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. Kiwi Can Do

Kiwi Can Do

Hey guys I'm a newbie on here. I had my camera at Beach Hop as I do at most events I attend
    and I've done my best to sort the H.A.M.B approved rides from the rest, apologies if a few accidentally slip by. More to follow...
    Ivan
    0U1A4492.JPG 0U1A4574.JPG 0U1A4575.JPG 0U1A4607.JPG 0U1A4628.JPG 0U1A4677.JPG 0U1A4681.JPG 0U1A4684.JPG 0U1A4712.JPG 0U1A4738.JPG 0U1A4885.JPG 0U1A4887.JPG 0U1A4894.JPG 0U1A4895.JPG 0U1A4909.JPG 0U1A4910.JPG 0U1A4912.JPG 0U1A4913.JPG 0U1A4921.JPG 0U1A4928.JPG 0U1A4930.JPG 0U1A4936.JPG 0U1A4938.JPG 0U1A4940.JPG 0U1A4941.JPG 0U1A4942.JPG 0U1A4943.JPG 0U1A4948.JPG 0U1A4949.JPG 0U1A4951.JPG

22. Kiwi Can Do

Kiwi Can Do

23. Kiwi Can Do

Kiwi Can Do

24. Great pics Ivan and a big thanks for posting.
    Welcome to the HAMB. JW

Kiwi Can Do likes this.
  25. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Brian you are way to modest!didnt you also win that clown award last year?
    I was also under the impression that the Ford was Wendy's car,but we didn't see her up on stage receiving the cash.

deadbeat and prez like this.
  26. Kiwi Can Do

Kiwi Can Do

Cheers . I've also added some photos in the Nostalgia drags thread from last weekend for anyone that's interested. I'm keen to share future local event coverage from down here with our fellow H.A.M.Bers as well as uploading a few from past shows as I go.

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. Good to see some life in this Group, go for it.:D JW

28. Kiwi Can Do

Kiwi Can Do

Done and dusted!

29. Thanks Ivan, nice work.