Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods carlisle is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Apr 3, 2017.

1. 27Tudor

27Tudor

I know it starts on Wednesday so I was curious if the weekdays are better or is Saturday the best day?

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. In my opinion Thursday is the best day although I always go on Friday so I don't have to get out of bed the next day to go to work. 8 hours of driving and miles of walking catch up with me I can't wait! I have never been on Saturday but I have heard it's really crowded on Sunday most of the vendors are gone. Hobo Jim

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thursday is the best day IMHO. No not as good as it once was. By Saturday it's a zoo.
    As others have said, it's really good for picking up large parts from vendors to save shipping. Having said that, it's still better than mowing the lawn

4. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

of course it's not what it used to be. NOTHING is what it used to be. we're not what we used to be. is it a good day out where you have a good chance of finding something, yeah. will you go home with everything you ever dreamed of, no. stay away on saturday, anything good is gone already and it's by far the most crowded. "the good old days" are gone, make the most of the present day.

Dino 64, pat59 and wraymen like this.
  5. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I dont go to Carlisle because it gets too hard for me to walk that hilly stuff. And if the grass is wet then its even more of a challenge.Pulling a cart can be a hard too.But its a swapmeet and you never know what you will find or the contacts and lead you will get. Last time I went there resulted in getting my Edmunds valve covers for my 303 as well as a NOS aluminum flywheel.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Saturday is definitely busy but by the end of the day some of the vendors are packing up to travel home on Sunday and a lot of times they don't want to drag the stuff back they didn't sell and there willing to deal. Sunday is the same. Last year Sunday was real quiet. Had the opportunity to buy a set of new A rails really cheap. Wished now I grabbed them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Is there ANY swap that IS what it used to be?

We're dealing with a finite resource. I had a big ol' jar of jelly beans once, but after I ate about 95% of them, that jar wasn't what it used to be. No great mystery.

I've pre-ordered some stuff that I'll pick up at Carlisle in a few weeks. Haven't been in 25 years or more. I don't expect to see the same stuff I saw back then, but I can guarantee it'll be a better swap than the meager few I get to up here in Canada.

bscc50 likes this.
  8. What about one of those electric scooters? Don't know how much they are to rent but it's a thought. I've seen some crazy set ups with guys pulling wagons, carts and home made contraptions. Might be a problem on Saturday but earlier in the week it's not as crowded. A couple of years ago I saw a guy pulling a generator that was hooked up to his electric trike and he had a cooler behind that. Didn't have much room for parts but he seemed to be enjoying himself. (probably from what was in the cooler)

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. arincee

arincee

After attending Hershey for over fifty years I would say it is as good as it used to be. Maybe better. There are still parts for cars back into the early part of the last century. I quit Carlisle when the spaces went over 100.00. There are pleanty of empty spaces at Carlisle. That's not the case with Hershey.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Takes me 1 1/2 days to get through Carlisle. Always something different to see. The car corral has however degraded to a used car lot. Filled with 10 year old or less cars.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

If I get to the stroller point ,Iam done. I really dont like those things like at Hershey.Those and electric carts. Been hit by them,had my parts cart backed into and you cant hear them coming.I dont want to say others should stay home but there are too many running around to a point.Iam looking for parts,not where they are going. Different topic for another day. Sorry to piss off some here.

12. .........................Yummmmmmmm, Jelly Beans.:D;)

Dino 64 likes this.
  13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Get in to these on setup day.Best selection and no crowds

14. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

wraymen, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  15. Yes..... All swap meets are worth it.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Me too, those pretzels are the best!!!