Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CAN I USE STOCK MODEL A SPINDLES FOR the DRUM BRAKE CONVERSION???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I have a stock model a chassis that I want to convert to drum brakes in the front. The whole setup through Speedway is about $1500 to include the drop axle, backing plate kit, early for hubs, drums, bearings, and spindle kit. I know you can part one together using F1 parts, but those seem to be hard to come by. Being that I am trying to save money as I can, is there a way to reuse my stock 28 model a spindles? Thank you all for the help, and I apologize if this is an amateur question.

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

early ford store in California.

3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I do have my stock front suspension though, would those spindles work?

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I steered you wrong, hopefully someone will chime in. yes you can run A spindles theres a place in socal that makes parts so you can run hyrolics on A spindle.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Early v8 store i think. do a search on Dennis Lacy.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know they used to make a kit to use later brakes on early V8 mechanical spindles, but I don't know about Model A's. I used to get the kits from JC Whitney. Keep looking, you'll find something. Google is your friend.

7. The is a kit for about $30 to accomplish what you are trying to do. You need to elongate the holes in the backing plates to match the holes in the spindles. Some people like to plug and redrill the backing plates. Check the archives there is a ton of data on this. Check this guy: Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202.

Charlie Stephens

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep...Early V8 Garage. Richard or Dennis Lacey. 626 338-2282

10. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

I put 50 ford F-1 brakes on my 30 model A spindles. Takes some work but totally doable. Be carful if you get the spacer kit from speedway. The rings are carbon and break easily.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been using 53-56 Ford pickup brakes on all my Fords for 40 years and the cost is the same as usual, wheel cylinders, shoes, small parts kit, self adjusters. The cost of the backing plates and drums is usually a low cost at swap meets.
    I usually go to Pate on Wednesday and I got 4 dropped axles one year. This one was $40.

On my avatar,I bought Bob Wilsons backing plates (only) everything else came from the auto parts chains. I also bought new 1940 drums and used the original Model A spindles shown here. The shoes and cylinders cost what they cost but the total including Bob Wilson is still getting out cheap. $1500 is insane and I bet you dont get the self adjusters. lincfront1.jpg