Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Desoto Airflow Tail lights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HopUp, Apr 5, 2017.

1. HopUp

HopUp
    from Denmark

I have these NOS tail lights parts and are looking for the jewelry lenses anyone that can help [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If your not stuck on purestock,make them. There just red 1/2 ball stock,but ya could make blue,look around for some plastic light cover with shaped part ya can cut out.

3. Cool-ass tailights by the way. What are they going on?:)

lothianwilly71 and HopUp like this.

4. HopUp

HopUp
    from Denmark

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Really liked those lights for some time.
    Finally picked up a pair at Chickasha Swap meet last year. Just have the lenses and not the buckets. Will have to fab something. Hope to use them on a 34 coupe were collecting parts for. I'm thinking you could find something for the center. Plastic (?) or glass blue dot might even work...
    If you use these, will you mount them flush or use a bucket????

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Something like these centre jewels? Airflow tail lamp assemblies are not cheap
    [​IMG]

PS. HITCHIKER here on the HAMB had a pair in 2011 with jewels.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    kiwijeff and Hitchhiker like this.
  7. Still got em. Been offered 800 for them a few times. Probably ahould have pulled the trigger. But can't bring myself to sell them. I put two singles together for about 125.00 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  8. HopUp likes this.
  9. Elrod

Elrod

I love mine. Sorry that I don't have any spare jewels.

[​IMG]

10. HopUp

HopUp
    from Denmark

Thanks guys I got NOS buckets as well but don't know if I will use them - how did you guys mount them flush ? thank you

11. HopUp

HopUp
    from Denmark

12. Elrod

Elrod

Mine are not flush. Mine have the full buckets behind the panel and the bezel is perpendicular to the ground. You see some of the bucket at the top, but none at the bottom.

But you can cut the ring off the bucket and weld that to the panel and put small backing buckets from any car behind the panel.

HopUp likes this.
  13. HopUp

HopUp
    from Denmark

Then are going on a 32 roadster with out much space behind the panel so I must cut the nice buckets :) if you here of any jewels for sale let me know - consider to put glass blue dots until I find the right lenses

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

the jewels that hitch hiker showed look like the same ones used in old road signs. you can find them on ebay. most have a brand name in the cast pot metal housing

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

They look to be about 1" diameter, memory says i have seen those jeweled lights in 50's and 60's box van dashboards...

16. I have been down this road. Send me a PM, I have some spares and also know where to find more. Here are just a few pairs I have had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    oliver westlund, HopUp and Hitchhiker like this.
  17. For information there are two different types of the reflectors. There are ones with a spring and washer and a threaded style. There are also 2 different diameters. see pictures below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

HopUp likes this.
  18. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, they sure look like the old sign reflectors. more common than you would think. search marble reflectors, glass reflectors, etc. keep in mind, they are reflectors, and do not pass light thru due to the cast body, meaning if you want blue dots you need a different plan

HopUp likes this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I use "dy-kem" red to turn clear, harley, soft tail, front, fender lights red...[3rd brake]
    wonder how "dy-kem" blue would work making blue dots ?

20. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Dont cut them buckets... I have some you can cut up that are good donors... I think i have some centers.. PM me..

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like these type tail lights but lets be honest how many can afford them? Wonder if you could find a Stainless cup as the "grill" bezel, have it water jet any of the styles and find a glass lens of some sort?

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I watched these for a long time when they were in the classifieds.

Items like these set one car apart from another. When people talk about parts that are on a car more than a car itself. You know you did a good job.

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"Items like these set one car apart from another. When people talk about parts that are on a car more than a car itself. You know you did a good job.[/QUOTE]"
    If it only takes a set of rare tail lights to set my car apart from others I have failed the build! They certainly make a great build better but IMO it's the sum of the parts as hole. Will be heading down to the local Water Jet wizards on Monday to "Brainstorm".........................................

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That's what I was trying to say, as I said in parts. The famous painter (Hollenbeck) had them on his Oakland Roadster winning 32. The door handles were a standout as well. There was a set on the Hamb classified a few weeks prior to him winning the big prize.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

yeah sure id like to have some too, but realisticly speaking nobody in the 50's was looking for art deco tail lights. thats a current fad, i like em, but who cares

27. desotot

desotot

Wow, I just realized I need some Desoto taillights . They are cool.

46international likes this.
  28. I like the hell out of them also, but could never swing the big $$ out lay for a set. So I just made some that are not the same style, but give that look. IMG_2101.JPG

Hamtown Al, telekenfun and i.rant like this.
  29. 4woody

4woody

Every time I park my '38 Chrysler somewhere I worry about somebody stealing my tail lights.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

stanlow69 and telekenfun like this.