Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Yeah I saw where Rusty was struggling to drive last night

Here's some corny stuff to pass the time

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, hendelec, powrshftr and 9 others like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

That is FRIGGEN AWESOME!! And hilarious. You missed your calling you should be making videos. GREAT STUFF!!

Hang'emHigh, enloe and Finn Jensen like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony, you have outdone yourself:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p Fuckin' brilliant!!!!! I couldn't even drink my coffee for laughing! YEEHAWW!!!!!!!

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and enloe like this.
  4. That was great! One question though, who are the Sock Folks?

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jophus, you gotta remember, that video was composed for use and viewing by other than HAMB members, and I, for one, understand completely:)

loudbang likes this.
  6. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Jesus I needed a good laugh after a very long week! Absolutely falcon hilarious!

402BOSSMAN and loudbang like this.
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not going to make it to Montgomery, Tony. Good luck and when you get back and have a minute to spare, let us know how things went. If Quain's staff takes their usual video, posting a link would be nice.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Been watching some live feeds from someone at the track. Tony was staging, then Quain shut him down. Looked like some smoke out of the right header, hope its not a major problem. I think Competition Plus is putting a live feed up tomorrow?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Thanks for the acting compliments! Better keep my day job though!
    Yeah I was creating a giant oil smoke cloud at the starting line- I had moved the crank case evac tubes to the bottom of the valve cover. Instant fog machine after the burn out .... fix it in the morning and try again

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sure do wonder why I keep losing my subscription to this thread:mad:

11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Looks even BETTER in person.. Enjoyed the show. Loved your last run, Snortin, growlin, blowing fire out the pipes and stood it way up !! Hope to see you guys at Shadyside.

12. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Inquiring minds ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

loudbang likes this.
  13. We lost a sprint car race one night for less than 10! Now every time the cars go out for a feature, I make sure they have an extra 2 gallons of fuel in them!

loudbang likes this.
  14. I'm at work and trying to not get fired - long weekend - had a damn good time! Didn't really break anything that sip ties and wire couldn't fix :D ran 2 rounds of finals on zip ties - fuel pump stripped out the holes in the timing cover - major oil fog issue going on on right bank - investigating - but ran 5.80 smoke and all
    DSB_4173.JPG

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...utheast-gassers-2017-season-opener-montgomery

catdad49, quick85, lawman and 13 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Brings back memories of "you best get that flack jacket Zipped and that helmet strapped down NOW MARINE"

[​IMG]

catdad49, Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You said earlier that you had oil getting into exhaust via crankcase evap tube being on lower side of rt. valve cover. Did that prove to not being the case?
    Wait till you're off work to answer this:rolleyes:
    On edit: Just looked at the still pics, in some Q&D is smoking, some not?????????

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Tony, I'm subscribed as always, looks like a pretty successful season opener for you, bugs and all. I won't be getting down South in person but I'll be getting that wheelstand shot printed and mounted next to all those SEG posters you sent me, love em, finally got them mounted on my shop wall.
    Thanks again, Doug.

20170410_110410.jpg

18. It was early before any SBC rods could fly out and hit anything - but I know that's when they hit ya .....

Man those look good! You have one of the few complete sets - they went out kind of random so a complete set is a tough thing to find o_O my set is missing a few I found out after trying to hang them LOL

DOM - its under investigation - it might have been residual in the headers - but the last pass there was no evac tube at all - would'nt have thought it would smoke. Will dig into it tonight.

Blownfuel and loudbang like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You know, I didn't think past the "oh my gawd he sent me how many SEG posters".
    I hardly turned a wrench in my shop this winter and when the sun finally made an appearance, I was quite motivated to get out there and put the posters up.
    It wasn't until I got them all up and looked at them did I fully appreciate them.
    I spotted your posters all nicely framed and plan on ultimately doing the same thing.
    You will like this Tony, my wife came out and saw how I lined them all up so nice and straight and exclaimed.......................
    "You reeeely have an illness".
    I replied, it took you 35 years to discover that!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

BTW Tony
    I still have that shipping tube with your address, let me know which posters are missing.
    I will gladly contribute them back where they really belong.
    I know how I would feel if my set was incomplete.
    Doug

loudbang likes this.
  21. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Tony, that beautiful wheelstand start should make it on to a SGA poster this year ! How bout it Stephen ?

22. No way man! You keep that set! I'm bad about collecting stuff - lose track of it too easy. I was trying to collect Garage Magazine when it came out - but after they ended up in random places it didn't make sense. I think its cool if you keep a set safe - I'll lose them o_O

:D :D :D I was hoping that would stand up and not hit the Southern Flyer - he cut an 002 light. I knew he was going to win so, turned up the wheelie bar 2 turns and hoped it would go straight - :):):) I lowered the whole car 2 inches this year so I didn't know what it would do.

Leakdown test shows 10 - 13% on all 8 cylinders. Those plugs on the passenger side look dark and oily - not soaked but oily. All 4 on the driver side are spot on Cafe Latte dry. Wondering if the 20W/50W oil is too much for the low tension rings to wipe ? Johnny Thomas wanted me to run 20/50 because of the 1000 pound spring pressure.

Need to do some research - maybe go back to 20W/40W

17663186_227679244380537_3094688730368180224_n(1).jpg

Damn check that smoke ....

montgomery_a.JPG

23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I think everyone was admiring the new paint scheme! The fans didn't even notice!!

loudbang, powrshftr and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. After much study - looks like the steel spud is not right. Its a stamped part. The aluminum is square. The spud has a ridge that goes in the aluminum. You can feel about a 5 thousands offset on the edge of the aluminum where the spud is not centered. Probably what killed my pump last year ....

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yup, sorta outta kilter and prolly is a pump killer, but what about all the smoke?

26. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

Well it took 2 weeks but I made it through all 110 pages videos and all! Awesome build Tony! Enjoyed every second of it. SE Gassers has it going on and so do the Sock Folks. I'm up in Cleveland, Ga just up the road a bit. My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday.... answer to go watch the gassers at SIM. We'll be there Friday and until the smoke clears on Saturday. Hope to see you score your first win! Now off to read Cabbages build... then Tims!

27. Well the leakdown tests are very good and pretty equal, so talked to Ric and Nick and the plan is to go back to 10W-40W oil. That was working last year so lets get back to where it was ok. The light tension rings might not like the 20W-50W ? Not sure yet.

cs39ford and loudbang like this.
  28. Cleveland? You know Randy Sands? There's another cool dude up there with a 32 Ford barn find car that he drives everywhere. Steel In Motion should be good this year for sure!

PBRmeASAP and loudbang like this.
  29. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

There is a big car community up here. If Randy owns a Heating and Air business then I used to run into him on the construction sites. Don Allison might be the guy with the 32. I'm a real estate appraiser up here so I see inside all the buildings and lots have classic cars. I was into motorcycles for the past 20 years but just sold the last Harley. Your build and the people on here have got me excited to get into the car scene. Your 39 has got to be a wild ride!