Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please Shed Some Light On TROG Speed Parts & Mods Rules & Requirements

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 4, 2017.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. This is probably a stupid question & & mainly informational for me right now, but based on a lot of the threads I've been reading about TROG I know I'm not the only one with some of these questions & I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this topic for myself & others with the same questions. I've read the rules page for entrants, but they don't cover anything about speed parts & modification rules. So here's my question. I know they say the cars need speed parts, but can they be speed parts that are made today to modify an original 4 banger motor for example Lion cylinder heads or Red's Headers or do the have to be original Speed Parts? Don't get me wrong. Original speed equipment is really cool, but the cost of a lot of this stuff is astronomical. Any & all info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Josh

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  2. New speed parts are allowed.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  3. Never2low

Never2low

I thought any commercially available speed parts had to be made circa '53-'54 or before.
    Reproductions are OK.

4. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Newer reprodutions are allowed, Lions heads , reds headers are good , l will be running them on my banger when I'm there in June.

waxhead and GreaserJosh13 like this.

5. banjorear

banjorear

Hey, how do you like that Lion head? I've been thinking of getting one for my pop's banger.

6. I will say it like this. They can only have a number of cars around 150-200. There has been a big rush from everyone around the world to built a car for "TROG". You have to send in a video and pictures of you and the car, engine front end ect.ect. They go through those entries and hand pick the cars to run. The hole idea is to take you back to the early days of racing and so they only want cars and parts made back in the 20's30s'and 40's. Yes there are some cars with a few new speed parts but the rest of the car is spot on so they might allow a new reproduction head. Things like non braded cloth wires might get a car rejected. Alternators, newer gauges. Anything made from billet and not sand casted. Basically if bobby and Mel like your car your in and if not your there to watch. Best thing to do is email the guys and ask if what you are using is on. Both guys are cool so just ask.

7. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

l haven't installed mine yet , a friend has installed one on his A truck , loves it , brought the truck to life , keeps up with traffic.

8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. What you have said is basically correct. I emailed the TROG website & this is what the event coordinator responded back:

"Hi Josh,

I ran this by the guys and they said; no Buick Nailhead V8. New speed parts are ok, and home made intakes are ok. We'll need pics for final approval.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Sabrina Fay Pierce
    Event Coordinator
    www.theraceofgentlemen.com"

So I guess new Speed Parts are ok. I'm sure original is better, but sometimes their unavailability & cost creates an issue I'm guessing. I know it does for me. I like the suggestion on the cloth wiring.

9. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I'd also like to thank you all for the responses & feedback.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to ask yourself "does this look right and correct for a hot rod that was built and run in the time frame they specify"?
    In that you have = were ALL of the parts available then? Yes=OK No=NOT OK.
    Repro that looks like what was produced back in the required time frame is ok Some of the cool heads and intakes and small hot rod pieces weren't produced in high volume back when and the "collectors" may have the only sets known in their "collections" .

As the guys said above the glaring obvious will get the car booted out. Alternators, carbs that weren't even designed yet in that time frame. obviously modern electronic distributors. Shiny plastic wires. Transmissions that weren't made until the 80's same with rear axles or even a later quick change.

The whole idea centers around building or reviving a car that totally represents that era. and that is the challenge and the fun as much as racing. Being around the cars at Pismo Beach and listening to some of the real old timers point out things on a few of the cars that really represented the concept was interesting and fun.

Personally I'd like to see more and maybe smaller scale events like this around the country. They don't have to be on a beach but renting some sand drag club's track and getting the sand good and wet and packing it down smooth would make a viable racing surface even if the course might be a bit shorter. Most of these cars would race just as good for 100 yards as they would for 220 yards. Pick an interesting town with some stuff going on that has plenty of rooms or camping area and a place to race on some sand even if you have to haul in the sand and let the fun begin. A lot of places have fairgrounds with horse tracks that only get used a few weeks a year and sit idle the rest of the time. One local (70 miles away) such fairgrounds hosts sand drags on the horse track at least one weekend a year so the sand pile is already there waiting to be spread and picked up again. Lots of camping room and car show room and pit room too.

Blues4U, waxhead, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  11. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Luther99 let's see some pics of your car & any other cars that belong to you guys.

12. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I'm still very new to all of this vintage stuff but I've quickly become addicted to it all. I love the idea of it all. I also wish there were more events like TROG.

Blues4U likes this.
  13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

What about headers. Were headers being used prior to 1948 or would it be better to run a regular exhaust? I really think the look of this Lake Header is cool, but I'm not sure if it fits the TROG bill? Also how loud/exhaust smell in car would something like this be. Would I be better off with a header to an exhaust? Thanks again fellas.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Check out pictures of other cars that have run the race and see what they had, that's probably the best indicator of what they do and don't want to see.

When they can only take a limited amount of participants, they can afford to be picky, so a car with a couple of catalog speed parts is likely to be bumped if there's something running a full house of early rare parts on it.

I would like to see more events like this too, instead of the let in anything, park and drink beer events that seem to be around. Lake Michigan has a lot of beach...

GreaserJosh13 and spurgeonforge like this.
  15. Elrod

Elrod

This is a good reference book for how cars were built back then. Yes. They built headers in their garages. Reds Headers are just fine because they are just tubing welded to a metal flange. The same way it's been done since the 30s.

Go get this book "The Birth of Hotrodding - Story of the Dry Lakes era." by Robert Genat.
    The Birth of Hot Rodding: The Story of the Dry Lakes Era

Most of the color photos and quite a few of the black and white photos were taken by original Oilers car club member Don Cox. This book will give you some ideas.

paper back
    [​IMG]

hard cover
    https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Hot-Rodding-Robert-Genat/dp/0760313032/ref=sr_1_2
    (has preview of pages)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Oops. Forgot the picture of the lake headers that I like. Here it is.

[​IMG]

17. Elrod

Elrod

Order some lakester headers from Matt at Geardrive. He's a HAMB alliance vendor. Awesome guy. Tell him "Elrod" had nothing to do with this. ;)

Gear Drive Speed & Custom – Long time H.A.M.B. guy that makes some cool stuff! Get free domestic shipping if you are a HAMB Alliance Member (international orders get upto a $35 credit on shipping charges) on u-fab intakes, lake headers, all kinds of flathead and other traditional hot rod parts.

https://www.lakeheaders.com/

https://www.instagram.com/geardrive/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Elrod

Elrod

19. patterg2003

patterg2003

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are a lot of events around the country for the four banger hot rods put on by FAST. On of the larger events will be the Speedster Reunion hosted by the Speedway museum in June.

21. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Hey GreaserJosh here are some pics of mine so far[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Luther that's awesome. I really like the look. Looks like a 3 carb intake with some bitchin headers. What else have you done to it. Any suspension/frame mods? Transmission or rear end mods? How much faster does it go with the engine mods? Feel good on the freeway? You've got yourself a sweet ride.

23. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Yup home made three carb intake , reds headers , Lion head to come ,.060 over banger, juice brakes , 4 inch drop axle front , T spring in the back, have not got it runnin yet , soon.

24. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Oh man. It looks like it's already good to go. I'd be happy to drive it around just like that.

25. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

26. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Denis. It's funny you bring that up. I'm going to be in Nebraska for a wedding, but will be leaving the day before it starts. Maybe I can talk my wife into staying a couple more days.

27. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

28. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Yes l have submitted my vehicle , I hope it gets accepted, if not l'm going to take it down and rip around on the beach anyways .

29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Pretty sure white wall tires are a no go for TROG.......

Runnin shine and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  30. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Ya l know , l put that in my submission, l have no probs turnin them in , but l have seen some running white walls ?