Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "official" Lonestar Roundup Garage Crawl

Discussion in 'The 2024 Lone Star Round Up' started by hot-rod-1958, Mar 8, 2017.

1. The Lonestar Roundup Garage Crawl will be Friday April 7th.

We will meet in Southwest Austin at the intersection of US Highway 290 West and US Hwy 71 West (AKA the “Y” in Oak Hill). For location reference use the address of 7100 West US Highway 290. We will be in the parking lot of Planet Fitness and Goodwill. Local Car Club members will be there to assist in lining everyone up.

We will have a driver’s meeting at 7:45 AM where several lovely ladies will pass out directions and information for the crawl. We will head west on Highway 290 right after the meeting.

This year we will drop by a favorite (and much requested) shop that has undergone expansion since our last visit. The remainder of the stops will be new places the crawl has never been in the past. The final stop of our morning will be at Dell Children’s Hospital. The kids always have a good time seeing the cars and meeting the drivers.

I have arranged to have a food truck for us and they will begin serving fantastic breakfast Tacos at 6:30 AM. There is also a Jim’s Restaurant next door for those who want a sit down breakfast. FYI…the food truck will be leaving for another gig as soon as we conclude the drivers meeting.

For first timers and our out of town/state/country guests…EVERYONE is welcome to come along on the crawl even if you are in a rental car. There is no charge for participation in the crawl. No need to ask ahead of time where we are going since that is always a secret and revealed at the meeting.

Be there early, come hungry and we will see you Friday morning April 7th!

Mark Gustafson

2. 46stude

46stude

AWESOME. This is the highlight of our LSRU trip every year. Thank you for getting this organized once again, Mark.

RGV OldCars and CherryDeuce like this.
  3. YES!!!!! One of the best parts of Roundup, well worth the money!!!! Marks the Man!

I will say if you never been, 3 things: fill your tank, empty your bladder and try your hardest to get a map!
    Oh yeah and have patience cause traffic can be brutal.
    Thanks again Mark! Can't wait to see you and the misses again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

That about sums it up! Can't wait !

5. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Our plan is to get a map, break off and take littlest one to daycare, then find the group in route. #suburbanrebels #thosediapersdontchangethemselves

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Always look forward to this. Thanks for all the work this takes.

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Hey quick thought, maybe you could post a map of the route online the morning of the crawl? Save you from having to print so many?

8. I think that is a GREAT idea since it seems no matter how many I print, we always run short. I really appreciate the suggestion. Everyone knows that the stops are a secret until the driver's meeting but I'll see what I can do to post it at dark thirty that morning before we leave the house. I'll get my lovely bride to give me a hand as I am quite the techno-tard when it comes to most things related to the inter-web.
    FYI boys and girls...If the route isn't posted that Friday morning ... blame Brenda. Just kidding.

HunterYJ and Jpeg1971 like this.
  9. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Since I never know when to leave well enough alone (1 good idea a month is above my norm) you could also ask people who show up at the crawl who have smartphones to please photograph the map instead of take a physical copy?

*feeling snappy and full of self congratulations due to good idea suggestions*

10. 46stude

46stude

Both really good suggestions. Heck, lots of folks have a tablet they carry on trips- that'd be a good device to take a pic of the route with. I think I'll do that myself.

11. I've received several questions about toys and gifts for the kids at Dell Children's Hospital. The hospital staff says that toys are accepted but must be new in the package. Food items and things such as balloons are not allowed. If you choose to bring something may I suggest a Hot Wheels car or one of the character vehicles from the movie "Cars". They are inexpensive, small and easy to pack for the trip.

12. tred

tred

i'll be there and i'm bringing a couple of younger-generation types, y'know those kids that are into those new fangled 1960's cars.
    we'll learn 'em!

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Is there a list of stops? I'm not one to blindly follow. Thanks, Chris. My neighbor texted me and said he's part of the garage crawl.

14. MJVAUGHANS

MJVAUGHANS

Nope, route map is a surprise until the morning meet-up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. We are running late due to ignition issues. Can anyone upload the map or directions this morning or send me a text pic? 214-803-3288

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  16. MJVAUGHANS

MJVAUGHANS

Can someone upload a pic of the stops please? Kid business at the school this morning, could not make it to the Y-OAK HILL. Pease.

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Having a great time. Stopped at pie-e-tea, off 290, for coffee and sweets...

18. guthriesmith likes this.
  19. This was our first time and we definitely had fun! So glad we were able to participate.

Ron Combs likes this.
  20. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

What a great time with great people! Thanks to all who put this together and to all our gracious hosts.

21. By the numbers I think this one was the biggest yet. Looks like over 200 cars and at least 400 people at the start of the Garage Crawl. We had a huge number of first timers with us this year. A big tip of the hat to Gerald and the "Red White and Que" food trailer. If you got a taco you know they were fantastic. If you didn't, my apologies as I asked him to plan on about 300 participants.
    I'd like to send out a big Thank You to the Travis County Pct. 3 Constables office for having a deputy there for traffic control which made getting on the road a breeze. I'd also like to send a very sincere thanks all of the friends and businesses who cleaned their shops and opened their doors for all of y'all. There was a lot of cool stuff to see and a lot of ground to cover and I hope each of you had a blast on the crawl.
    Due to a brake issue on my 35 Ford coupe (at stop number two) we had to peel off, drop it at a shop around the corner and continued on in their shop truck. Thanks to Bobby at Hohmann Automotive in Oak Hill for the vehicle loan and for having us back on the road shortly after lunch. Unfortunately we didn't make it to the hospital so I hope there was a good turn out of cars for the kids.
    Plans are already in the works for the 2018 Garage Crawl. FYI...two new private shops are currently under construction along the planned route and a third one was just completed.
    See y'all next year!
    Mark

guthriesmith, 4oldfords and HunterYJ like this.
  22. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

Was very surprised to see how many first timers were on the crawl at the drivers meeting. Awesome event!!

23. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

Best Crawl ever! Thanks Mark.

24. FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE! Thank you for all the hard work Mark... your '35 is killer!

25. Prostock15T

Prostock15T
    from western ok

Was another great crawl Mark great job! Got to admit I was a little disapointed by the turn out at the children's hospital there was only 10 or so cars there this year was the lowest i have seen in 3 years hopefully next year there will be more !

26. mgermca

mgermca

Phew!..... back home now after a killer weekend in Texas!
    Still snow in my back yard, I figure another two to three weeks 'til spring springs here.
    Thanks again Mark for another great crawl. I was very happy Rex Rods was on the tour this year after you had said in our email exchange that it may not be.
    I said 'hi' to you just after you gave us all our marching orders but you were in a HURRY to get goin' and we never saw you again!
    Only my second run to the LSRU but the crawl is definitely a highlight of the weekend.
    My amateurish shakey record of it all, I hope I noted the stops correctly and it gives everyone who couldn't be there a taste...........we only missed one stop!

Cheers!
    Mark

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    40two likes this.
  27. Thanks for the video, Mark, seems it has been a blast!

28. 46stude

46stude

Sorry to hear there was a low turn-out at Dell. We got behind schedule due to a leaking fuel line on my T-Bird & weren't able to make it to a couple of the stops, or to the hospital.

29. Guys,
    I really appreciate all the thanks and praise about the crawl. Wish I had time to visit with everyone that shows up but it is a wee bit hectic for me as we count down to launch. My apologies if I was in a rush. As you can probably tell I have a blast putting the crawl together and just knowing that y'all enjoy the stops that I select makes all the preparation and planning worth every second.

See y'all on the 2018 crawl,
    Mark G.