Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone have BB motor falcon build pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justadream, Apr 6, 2017.

1. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I was wondering if anybody on here has slapped a BB motor into a falcon and if so, any build pics? Would love to see how the motor mounts were made or used, how much of the trans tunnel was cut out if any and what was used for a motor and trans. Please post some builds and pics if you have them, thanks.

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on what year Falcon, and whether it was a V8 car or a 6-cylinder car.

While I don't have a big-block, or even a V8, I do have a late V8 6-speed, and the car is lowered. My 6-cylinder 1960 Falcon had none of its original tunnel, from firewall, to trunk bulkhead. It all had to go.

4. morac41

morac41

Hi....Mustang had FE Big block in 1968 dont see why it wouldn't fit you falcon...remember working on one.. had to change several spark plugs through special holes pressed out in the inner fenders....

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

BBF or BBC?

6. If you sub frame it and run a straight axle it will work just fine. Aside from that, the spring towers will be in the way.

When I was a kid I had s '65 Mustang, and that skinny 289 seemed a tight fit, especially with headers. A Falcon is basically the same thing under the hood.

justadream likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You could eliminate the shock towers with a MII front suspension. Creates an acre of room for a FORD BB. Don't do it if you are thinking Chevy.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  8. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Caddy 500ci. :)

9. Okay then. Now you're talkin.

justadream likes this.
  10. I didn't know that. I like it.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 66 Fairlane had a BBF (FE). The frame mounts are readilly available but what year aFalcon are you referring to? These fit 66-69 OEM engine cradles and are a direct bolt in. If you refer to an early Falcon an FE will fit with some massaging to towers as per below.
    [​IMG]
    These are OEM style for SBC (Windsor) to 66 Falcon / Fairlane, note the difference.
    [​IMG]

These are 385 (460) series into a OEM 71-73 Mustang. Different again.
    [​IMG]

http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...ord-falcon-legendary-history-and-performance/ Apparently there were two (2) factory 427FE Falcons! Here is one by Dearborn Steel who did the Thunderbolt conversions.
    [​IMG]
    During the mid-1960s, Dick Brannan was the head guy for Ford's performance car R&D, and one of the company's leading factory drivers. His burgundy '64 427 Falcon was one of two such cars assembled by Dearborn Steel Tubing, primarily as a development car for the A/FX Mustang fastbacks that would follow. Today, this Falcon has been restored and rests in a private collection.

The following is courtesy of LOUDBANG and posts at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/stock-s-s-f-x-1959-1966.247089/page-83
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You still need to tell us what year Falcon you are talking about, and if it is an early one, if it is/was a V8 car, or not.

13. morac41

morac41

Hi ...You will need to reinforce the towers ...they will crack with the torque....I can remember replacing cracked falcon towers with a Cougar towers and inner fenders ...Build a 500ci Windsor.....will be lighter and still turn the car inside-out with torque..and fit in the hole without much trouble......

14. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

The car is actually a 60 comet, pretty much the same platform.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are going to be in for a world of hurt if you think that you are putting a 500-inch Cadillac engine in a 1960 Comet, even if it somehow fits between highly modified shock towers.

The front rails are 1" closer together than any Mustang model.

The 1960 models are 6-cylinder, only. That does not mean that they just have smaller brakes, four-lug wheels, and lighter steering.

They also have: no torque boxes, a tunnel that is too small to install much of anything V8 class, tiny upper ball joints, a body that IS NOT 18ga. (it's 20ga!), smaller and thinner subframe rails, and a whole lot fewer reinforcement layers throughout the chassis. Ever weld a razor blade, upside-down?

While they appear to be the same car as later V8 models, they are NOT. You simply cannot compare these to later V8 Falcons, Mustangs, or Cougars.

I drive a 1960 Falcon, and had to put about 240lbs of extra metal to keep it from breaking side glass on the autocross course, with a 100-hp 6-cylinder. It will likely get a 6-point roll bar, just to triangulate the body (it already has subframe connectors), and additional torque boxes, because it is still unseating the front tires in corners due to chassis flex. You can see (and measure) the chassis bend on jackstands, and all of the metal is sound and intact.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't take this tooo personal, hoping others will read this and put more effort into their requests.
    Why is it people open a thread with a generic question asking if anyone has done.................
    Not giving specifics until people drag it out of them when ultimately, they the OP knew the specifics from the start, how do they expect any semblance of useable responses.
    Such as saying Falcon and giving no model year, then it's actually a Comet, not that they are much different. Then saying BB engine, couldn't be more generic.
    For instance if someone asks for photos of how they built their BB motor mounts, how is the response gonna be of any use if the respondents BB was a Ford, a Chevy, a Chrysler etc.
    Most everyone likes to be of help, but it's kinda frustrating with requests like this.