Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for Ford & Chevy guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

chevy57dude and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. I actually own a Model A, and it will have a Ford rear end. :D

But if I had a '57 olds posi in good shape I would ditch my ford. LOL

I prefer to mix and match my drivetrain stuff, if I had a good 302 short block and a good pair of Cleveland heads I would run a Ford in my A. I am just not a purest. I use what I got and try to make it go faster than the factory intended.

oldsjoe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I grew up in a staunch GM family, with the occasional Studebaker. No Fords allowed. As such, I always considered myself a Chevy guy.

Fast forward a few years, and I got big into pre war cars, and since I don't like splinters and termites, I ended up with a Model A Ford.

Now, I own three prewar Fords and only one Chevy. I still consider myself a Chevy diehard, but one that is willing to dip into the dark side every now and again...

4. LOL my A bone still has lots of wood in it.:D

5. Unfortunately, the purists would scold me...mine would have to be set up as a roadrace clone! Those are supa-bad!!!

Rolleiflex, flyboy89 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

I've only ever owned Fords and Ford powered of coarse but I would really like to have a 65 Belvedere/ Coronet A990 car. There's nothing from GM that really stands out that I would own/drive.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Yeah Beano ,but it pales in comparison to the Termite smorgasbord offered by the early Chevy's. :D HRP

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. They would hate me also,I jacked mine up and put a straight axle and stuffed a 428 in it,,I had no idea how rare they were. HRP

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like all makes of The classics and muscle cars that make up this hobby. When it comes to late models you couldn't pay me to take a Ford.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I own 4 Hamb friendly rides,all of them are Fords and admit that 2 of them are powered by sbc engines. HRP

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm very much a chevy guy, a little dabbling with pontiacs here and there, but i'm a diehard tri five and 58-59 chevy guy. That being said, I'd love to have a 55-60 ford. Especially a 55. I'd also really like to have a 59 Plymouth. Will i ever own those cars? Probably not, i'll probably stick to chevys and pontiacs but if i did have the chance to own one for cheap, i'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. I grew up as a hard core Chevy guy, had a GMC and a Buick in my 20's and a Cadillac in my 30's. All of a sudden in my 30's I started ending up with a few Fords. Now that I'm in my 60's I have 4 Chevys and 6 Fords..........wha happened???? Fords '54 and earlier, Chevys '55 and later.

13. I'm a GM guy, more Pontiac and Olds than Chevy, but it really depends on the year which way the needle swings.
    '48 - '51, and Mercury gets the nod. But in '52, they lost me. If you're a student of human nature, you could spot me looking at some pre-war Fords, too. I guess you would have a hard time stuffing me into either pigeonhole.

14. els

els

Chevy guy all the way, C1 corvettes for sure. . BUT Ford had the ANGLIA and the SUNBEAM TIGER. Both very cool cars. I have driven them both and will give my 1962 CORVETTE for any of those.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. I am or was a Ford Guy until I built my Race Car
    when I found out the Price of Hypo parts for a Ford in 69
    I built a Chevy, 64 Chevelle SS\427=L88
    If I would have Built a Ford it would have Cost 20 times the Amount
    than the Chevy.
    the Merc. in my Avatar has a 327 in it.with a Auto.
    I have had all kinds of Cars but I am Down to 2 Cars The Merc & the Lincoln Mark3

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I am a chevy guy but the significant other is a diehard ford fan. I actually prefer the 57 ford to the 57 chevy so I guess one of those would make both of us happy.

jeffd1988 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. that's funny my wife likes Fords too. she will say "that's cute what is it" . my reply " a Ford"
    she like me so there is just no understanding her tastes.

jetnow1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Ted,sounds like your better half has Champagne taste but realized early on she had to live with a beer budget! :D HRP

oldsjoe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Johnny G- That's tough looking!
    Ford had their act together with the Ford Racing Program. Something the ''General'' goofed with the ''back door'' program.

21. I have a lot of each Ford & chevy. Don't care much for Dodge Plymouth Chrysler products. but there are three pilot house dodge pickups in the collection. I like the 53 thru 56 ford trucks better than the chevys from 55 thru 59. The 63 thru 66 chevy trucks are lots better than the straight axle 57 thru 64 fords. The Twin I beam and FE engine 65 thru 72 are pretty good. Had a 59 Ranchero. Never liked it. Wasn't a good truck. Couldn't haul a heavy load and wasn't a good car. Three people filled it seat.. Ive got some 64 fairlanes We like pretty good. Every mustang I ever owned was a disappointment. Im of the opinion that if Ford had came out with the FE in 1955 the Tri Five Chevys would not be as popular are they are. I have three 56 chevy cars and six 55 chevy cars. And would buy another if the opportunity came along. I never liked the 57 chevy cars.

22. I'm a die hard Chevy guy that currently has a model T, 41 Chevy truck and a Kaiser. Although all different looking but the one thing they all have in common are Chevy engines/transmissions and Ford rear ends, hope that clears it up...lol

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I fell for Fords off the bat for one simple reason....they were cheap! I say WERE but that's another topic lol.....I didn't grow up in the '50's but we all know the fact that old Fords were light relatively fast but mostly CHEAP is what made them good fodder for the dirt track, and hot rod guys. We talk about $85k deuce roadsters like it's good deal now, but the fact is in 1948 you could buy one for $40-50.! an equivalent Chev or plymouth would be $10-15 more so no brainer lets hack it up and go faster! and it was the same in the '70,'80's & '90's with later o/t cars I could buy a $200. 6 banger M*&%^@ and convert it to V8,p/s, disc for under $500.! but I wasn't really into muscle cars
    I dreamt only of Hot Rods not even street rods just Traditional Rods so even though I was a died in the wool Ford guy the second I found a '57 Chev I could afford I snapped it up lickety split (only after I finally had my first "real" Ford Hot Rod a model A) but I also really dig Hemi's lol....current list is: 3 Model A's , 2 Model T's, 2 '57 Chevs, F-1, 63 Falcon... so now it would be interesting to see if I would ever flip for an X brand....closest so far I'm thinking was a Hupp

24. barber41'

barber41'

I'm a chevy guy, owned many 67-72 chevy trucks.. currently own a 1941 and a 1996, both chevy trucks. But I have to say that the 1994-1997 FORD F150 is the 'smoothes' and easiest truck I've driven!! ALL chevy trucks are bit a rough off-road..

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

FATHFUL soldier of General Motors... But I LUST for my late sister's '65 Mustang ( 1st car, never sold it. ), and Miliner's piss-yellow coupe. :)

26. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

I'm a Ford guy, and currently own a '30 and a '36 Tudor sedan

Sent from my SM-N915V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

....but I always wanted a '59 Chevy Apache, shorted stepside

Sent from my SM-N915V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeffd1988 likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am fiercely loyal to whatever manufacturer gives me sponsorship money, parts, and promotion.

Blues4U likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I grew up a die hard Chevy guy, but I've grown to like Fords, a lot. Especially early Fords, , T's, A's, 30's - mid 60's, I like Ford's style. To be honest I like just about all makes, depending on the model, and I could see myself buying any brand, if the deal was right. I'm actually in the market, and I'm not limiting my search to any particular brand, but I do give most Fords an extra point just for being a Ford.

I do have to say that I think Chevy's are easier and cheaper to make 'em go fast. But maybe that's just cause I'm more familiar with them. Ford's are easier (not cheaper) to make cool.

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny that you bring that up. As a kid that would be the time I got a hanker'n for a Galaxie. [​IMG]