Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Opinions wanted, '63 Dart headlight bezel modification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brad2v, Apr 5, 2017.

?
  1. The Pontiac bezels are cool as is

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. They suck, bite the bullet and spend the $$ for the stockers

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Don't be a pussy, mold 'em in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brad2v

brad2v

So, 1st off, I know this is in the customs forum, and IMHO, a '63 Dart wagon is pretty fuckin far from a traditional custom. But, it has to go somewhere, and it's even further from being a hot rod.
    That said, I have a pretty clean Dart wagon that I bought in San Diego (and chronicled in a thread the 1200 odd mile drive back to western Canada) 6 years ago. Since my '57 Poncho is finally nearing completion, my intention is to run the wagon in the garage and paint it during the summer, before I embark on my channeled rpu project.
    One of my conundrums is headlight bezels. The bloody things are rare as hen's teeth, and absolutely BEAT ones are getting 3-500 bucks on fleabay, which is approximately 3 bajillion Canadian pesos. Given the fact that the entire car will be worth $5000 AFTER paint, and I'm cheap, and broke, and would prefer to spend the $$ on the hot rod, I've been considering other options. I have a set of F1 bezels lying around. Yeah, no. Then, it struck me, I have a spare for the Pontiac. I hung it on there to eyeball. The fit is decent, probably nearly as well as the OE Dart ring from a "flush" standpoint. The screw holes line up. And Poncho ones are cheap, I can likely score a 2nd one for under $50.
    I think it looks kinda neat. A buddy suggested that it'd look better molded in, and I agree, but then I have to do the molding, plus the mods necessary to change the headlight. My repaint is intended to be a fairly quick project (I said summer, and it ain't long here), so that isn't really a consideration, plus, it's not reversible.
    I value so many opinions here, so what say the masses?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Surfcityrocker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

3. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Go for it, the Pontiac bezels give it a neat look thats different

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  4. gas & guns

gas & guns

Not a good look. Just my 2¢

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Go ahead and do it, it would be hard to make it look any worse than the stock ones.

brad2v likes this.
  6. Why not... although to do it right, you should do something 'matching' at the taillights. Might I suggest frenching in a set of '52-55 ford taillight housings, and extend that vestigial 'fin' out onto the new housing. Lots of choices for a lens, say maybe a repo '50 Pontiac?

brad2v likes this.
  7. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

I like it, so I say use the Poncho ones.

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Be careful, next thing you know, it will be all apart in the garage.

brad2v likes this.
  9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I have at least one headlight bezel, maybe two and a bunch of other spare parts for a dart, most of it wagon stuff. I believe I have all the side trim, push button shifter assembly, windshield gasket, wiring harness, etc...
    Let me know what you need and I'll dig thru the shop attic.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I didn't vote the poll because of mixed feelings about the options. The Pontiac rings solve the issue but look super funky. (See photo attached) But I feel ya, paying almost 10% of what the car will be worth is a bitter pill to swallow.
    Get with coolbreeze1340 above and beg/buy/trade/steal the Dart pieces if he has them.

tapir.jpg

11. I like them! I can't believe they mate up that well....
    I do think that if you're going to use them they should be molded.

Are you planning any other custom mods or just replacing the headlight bezels?

12. brad2v

brad2v

This is precisely what I'm trying to avoid, cuz yeah, these things can snowball FAST

I'll send you a PM

It's just gonna get the trim holes filled, the thing's just a beater/parts chaser, so I REALLY don't want this to turn into a splattered all over the garage multi-year project. Long term it'll get some custom type attention, but for now I just want to get it all one color.

13. I say use them then. Just bolt them on......

If you don't mold them, you can always change them later.
    I think they look cool. Still can't believe how well they line up!

brad2v likes this.
  14. brad2v

brad2v

I know, it's bizarre, they line up as well as the OE ones. And agreed, if I bolt 'em on, and decide it does in fact look like this[​IMG]
    I can unbolt 'em

15. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Run those noses, I mean trim rings. Pretty cool as is.

16. The Poncho bezel looks pretty droopy compared to the style of the rest of the car

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Big time droopy. Search out some used but decent originals. I think others are too quick to say go for it cause they don't have to look at it again everyday.

brad2v likes this.
  18. brad2v

brad2v

Coolbreeze might have me hooked up on a stock ring. Nonetheless, I think I'll get another Pontiac one as well and paint em with the car. I can throw them on now and then when I want it to look even weirder than it does stock. The ol girl aint exactly the height of of automotive styling anyway. She's no jag xke

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Sancho likes this.
  19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

What he said. They take away from the appearance of the car. Lose 'em.

EDIT: They might work if you lay them back so that the top line of the fender is straight across the top of the bezels.

20. brad2v

brad2v

Gotta give a big thanks to coolbreeze. He made me a GREAT deal on an OE one. Good dude. Kudos

coolbreeze1340 and Flowmeister like this.