Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Young folks in the world of cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Victory99, Apr 3, 2017.

1. I was just wondering if there are any other teens or young adults interested in the nostalgia car scene. I grew up around old cars, going to the races, and hanging out at car shows. The first car I drove was a ’40 Willys sedan at six years old. Around eight, I started getting really into it, so my dad and me picked out my ’65 Plymouth and built it together over the years; with a 440ci engine. I’m graduating this year, and can’t wait to hit the races. I’d be cool to meet other “millennials” that dig vintage car stuff…so as I can have a conversation with them that isn’t about Nintendo…Playstation or Twitter-tweeter…SnapChat-snapthis-snapthat…or whatever the heck people my age are into today, yada yada yada. lol Come out of the woodwork, and let us try to keep the hot rod scene around a couple more decades!

41 C28, jeffd1988, birdog and 2 others like this.
  2. They are out there,some have posted here.

Victory99 likes this.
  3. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

My son grew up in my world of cars. Learned to work on our '53 flathead when he was about 6 years old. Learned to drive stick shift on the same 3 on a tree(legally) once he turned 16. Likes older cars and trucks. Hope he keeps that passion.

4. That's cool!

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Here's my 6 year old grandson helping shine the 49
    He loves going with me IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0382.JPG

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Four year old grandson driving my 1912 Ford in Low gear. Bob IMG_5152.JPG

7. odell13

odell13

[​IMG]
    I'm 17 and currently building my 57 Chevy 3200 up the way they did it back in the day! Much easier to work on than the new plastic junk they use now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Wurger

Wurger

I'm 30 with a '29 Oakland, '29Hudson Super Six and a '31 Ford pick-up. All projects but hey, I'm here!
    IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3226.JPG

9. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I am 29 grew up around this stuff been a steel junkie for as far back as I can remember! There is a few out there not many. And in all honesty you have to be really motivated to get into the scene cars prices have climbed pretty high even compared to when I was a kid. Not an excuse to not build cars just puts kids off they would rather buy cheap shit and bolt it on with little to no labor. Most of the younger generation seems to think that they get a project and someone should come donate their time and labor on it. Instead of how it really is they should be donating their time and labor on the teachers car and then later apply that to there own build. I actually feel bad saying it but it's the truth. I have sanded countless firewalls and louvers lol tell my fingers bleed and it was never on my car lol. Not trying to derail your thread or rant. Just saying their are a few out there don't get fraustrated just push on and maybe get a couple friends into it!!!!!

Nailhead A-V8, Texas36 and Victory99 like this.
  10. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

I'm 29. I've had tons of old iron.

'53 Chevy 210, '54 Desoto Powermaster, '65 and '66 Chevy C10 and C20, '67 Bel Air, two '66 Valiants, '65 Dart GT, '69 Valiant, '70 Scamp, '70 Checker Marathon Limo, '71 Dart and a bunch of other 70s stuff.

Below is my current. '61 International Travelall 1/2 ton.

[​IMG]

Sent from a Glade Air Freshener

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an old fart hot rodder but love to see the young folks show up and appreciate the traditional rods and customs or hot rods in general . Truth be known I like being around people in their 20's more than people my own age most of the time.

12. I helped a young man (early 20s) shove a hotted up 235 in his '49 Chebby last year. it was his first car, he bought it when he was a freshman in high school. Had been driving it with the 216 until the old motor finally gave up the ghost. he's a kind of an oddball kid, he's into late '40s early '50s style customs and late '30s early '40s style hot rods. he's just starting on a flatty powered T tudor on an A chassis. its gonna be tits.

13. topher5150

topher5150

I'm 33, and I guess I still fit into that category, and this is the first car older that I've owned older than I am. I have more childhood memories tuning carburetors, and changing brakes then I do of staying up all night playing video games.

Victory99 likes this.
  14. CA. 280

CA. 280

17 year old Grandson just started his first after school job as a lot boy (sorry, lot porter) at the local Ford Dealership.
    Full time during the summer. More into Mustangs unfortunately but I'm hoping to turn him to the dark side.

15. 46dodgewc

46dodgewc

I'm 27, currently restoring a 1946 dodge truck. Looking forward to digging into that more as the weather gets warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. Thanks for posting, guys. I’m actually happy to see some young-ish people into hot rods. There’s light at the end of the tunnel after all! ;)

I started riding my Honda 50 at like 4 years old, I have pictures of when I was about 7 covered in grease scraping an old frame, and sanding and polishing wheels and…eh whatever, I can spend hours talking about stuff I did in the garage as a little girl, but it’s cooler to listen to other people’s stories, ha ha.

@odelll3-
    That’s really cool. Glad to see someone my age that digs old cars! Modern cars basically take people’s independence away from them (‘cause you’d need all the computer programming junk just to tune it, and heck, to do anything to ‘em), and they’re practically made disposable. Good luck with your Chevy! Sure you can’t wait ‘til it’s done. :)

@Wurger-
    Cool rides! Good luck with all of ‘em! The pickup's boss. :cool:

@birdog-
    Yep, I agree. I think it’s hard for most young adults to appreciate and understand a car you really put your time into to make it into something really cool…’cause, well, most of them don’t put time into their cars, and frankly, I’m not sure most have enough focus or desire to. Most of my acquaintances like hot rods, just not enough to work on them. Beings I did a lot (not all, though) of the sanding on my car (door jams, hood, firewall...etc.), I know how it is when you’ve sanded through your hand. lol I could have committed the perfect crime if I had wanted to, my finger prints were sanded off! I think it’s all about perseverance and the end result. Thanks for the post!

@Thrift-King-
    That’s a lot of iron. I think ’65 Darts are awesome, by the way. :)

17. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

28 here not getting younger. but eh we are all one age if we all set time to be into the same old American iron with busted knuckles and stories to tell lol

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I'm 33, going on 15. I've got so many projects going in between work and home. Today I drug a 42 flathead out of the dirt just to tear it down to see if it can be brought back to life. I hate seeing any of the stuff made way before my time sitting and rotting away. If I can save it I will.

Other than a soft spot for the Ford diesel, I'm a hot rodder through and through. I grew up around a shop, drag strip, car shows and junkyards. My pops tried his hardest to keep my in school and stay away from the automotive industry. But now after 16 years in the business I'm very good at what I do and I never stop learning.

Ugh.... long winded. Too much coffee is to blame, gotta go to work!

Victory99 likes this.
  19. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am only 43 but understand the need for younger people in the hobby. I became a step dad a few years ago and for my son's 15th birthday we gave him a 68 Chevy truck. Logan and I built that truck. we both learned a lot about rust repair on that one but learned more about each other. My wife and I intended to give not only a truck but a sense of workmanship and pride in the DIY attitude. I couldn't be happier about how things worked out. He has mooved on to a second generation camero with an LS swap but I am happy he is not building a Honda or worse rotting in front of an XBox. HAHA He and his little sister both helped me finish my coupe once we were done with his Chevy. He is 21 now and I have faith he will come back to older iron eventually.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  20. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

I'm 45 and my late father ruined me. Ever since he gave me some wrenches and cracked open the hood of his non-op'd 46 Ford when I was about 9, I've been hooked. Guys my age are looking at Beemers or a Mercedes. I can't get EFV8s out of my blood. Between hot rods and land speed racing I'm spending every last dime I can dig out of the couch. There's something to be said for paying for your kid's college education and taking your wife on vacation to Hawaii each year.... but I'm addicted and I can't shake it.
    If only he had given me a set of golf clubs instead. If I never knew what I was missing and just looked at them as transportation, I'd be rich and happy! Instead I'm cursed! But I do have a shit-eating grin plastered across my face most of the time.....

jeffd1988, 57Custom300 and 46dodgewc like this.
  21. a bunch of young folks involved in our collision and automotive programs
    and with a visit from Sam Memmolo
    sam and class.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  22. There was a thread/pole a while back about the age of hambers. HRP

23. olredss

olredss

24 and I have a not so H.A.M.B. Friendly 66 impala ss, but love all the old stuff. Love roamin H.A.M.B. For 283 327 know how, lot of experts here![​IMG]

jeffd1988 and Victory99 like this.
  24. Sweet ragtop!!!! I love the color, too!

25. olredss

olredss

It'll do til I can get my hands on a fri five! Fingers crossed

26. olredss

olredss

But thank you!

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

28. blackout78666

blackout78666

IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_2176.JPG IMG_2590.JPG IMG_6251.JPG IMG_6967.JPG My son will be 16 in a couple of months. For 14th bday he got a beat up shell of a 51 Chevy. (52 grille) Was trying to steer him toward 68-72 c10 trucks but he said " I want something cool that has style, like your car" hah. We'll almost exactly 2 years in we're just about finished. Down to body work and a small punch list. He put his time in. Told him it would not magically "appear". Good kid. Fun times . Lots of questions. Wouldn't trade the time together for anything.

29. I think that's way too cool! The car's cool, and I think it's awesome that he's so into it! The '39 Ford teardrop taillights are a nice touch, too.

blackout78666 likes this.