Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to title F1 in Kansas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sprout

Sprout

I have a 1951 Ford F1 with a newer drive train. It has an Arkansas title now. How do I go about getting it titled in Kansas. It won't pass inspection as an antique with the new motor and being from out of state. Do I just file for a lost title? Do I have a buddy sell it to me on a bill of sale?

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. siderbox

siderbox
    from Gardner KS

You can title a 25 plus year old car\truck with a bill of sale.
    Does your truck have the original frame with serial number?

3. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

4. Sprout

Sprout

Yes

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. It is my understanding that they are really just doing a "vin inspection".
    A bill of sale on it will not get you out of an inspection because it's not older than 1950. Refer to #3:

The following are the circumstances when a Motor Vehicle Examination ( MVE-1) will be required before making application for title:
    1. Vehicle or trailer is titled on an out of state or another country’s title, regardless of age;
    2. Vehicle or trailer was purchase out of state on a bill of sale, regardless of age;
    3. 1950 or newer antique auto or truck purchased in Kansas on a bill of sale;
    4. Vehicle is titled as nonhighway for no liability insurance or as salvage due to any reason and the vehicle has been repaired or insurance obtained and the owner wishes to make application for a formerly nonhighway or rebuilt salvage title and registration.
    Here is the link to the Ks MVE inspection page: http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/160/Motor-Vehicle-Enforcement-MVE
    If you read through that, you'll see they are just talking about vin inspection.

Sprout likes this.
  6. rjones35

rjones35

I bought a 63 on a bill of sale and my understanding at the time, a few years ago, was that I had to apply for a lost title. Luckily I knew a guy that was able to help me jump through all the hoops and get a title in my name. A matter of trying to track down the previous listed owner associated with the VIN, then going through his tow company selling it like an towed in vehicle with no title, "selling it to me at auction", then it was all easy after that.

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

I think you are leaving out some information that we need to help you.

If you have a current title from another state, its just a matter of transferring the title to your name. As long as the VIN number on the vehicle matches the one on the title, and you have a bill of sale (as simple as a hand written note on a piece of notebook paper saying that they sell the vehicle to you and their signature) from the person who's name is on the title, the DMV will easily help you transfer the title.

rjones35 likes this.
  8. In KS if you have a title from another state, you have to have the MVE-1 inspection done BEFORE they will issue a KS title for the vehicle.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspections are required in Kansas if:
    • A vehicle has a title from a state other than Kansas or a foreign country
    • A vehicle has been assembled, reconstructed, reconstituted, or restored from 1 or more vehicles
    • The proper identification number of a vehicle is in doubt
    This inspection must be completed before the Kansas Department of Revenue will issue a license tag or title for the vehicle.

9. Requirements of Kansas Law
    Kansas law requires that before an application for a Kansas title and/or registration can be accepted for a vehicle or trailer currently titled in another jurisdiction, the vehicle and the out-of-state title or ownership document must be inspected to ensure that vehicle identification number shown on the foreign title is genuine and agrees with the identification number on the vehicle or trailer. These procedures allow out-of-state inspections in lieu of a Kansas inspection and issuance of an MVE-1 form when the owner and the vehicle or trailer is out-of-state.

Who qualifies for these procedures?
    To qualify for using an out-of-state inspection in lieu of the MVE-1 an individual must meet one of the following requirements:
    1. A Kansas resident who is on active military duty stationed out of state.
    2. A Kansas resident who is attending an out-of-state college or school.
    3. A Kansas resident who is temporarily out of state, such as working on a short-term basis will require Kansas MVE-1 when vehicle is returned to Kansas..
    4. Any out-of-state title application for Kansas apportioned registration that requires a VIN inspection (MVE-1) and the vehicle is not in Kansas.
    5. Kansas Out-of-State VIN Verification Form

10. ^ Those procedures only apply if you are a KS resident that is not currently in the state of KS.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn you have a clear frigging title from another state, you can get a regular title and regular registration in Kansas on your CUSTOM truck with a later motor and you are whining because it won't qualify for a frigging antique plate or title. It isn't an damned antique it's a hot rod or custom.

That stems from a personal WTF of mine every time I see a modern billet street rod with antique or vintage plates or a proper period custom or hot rod with yom plates. And too many mid 70's daily driver beaters with classic or collector plates running around the area where I live.

BigDogSS and Poh like this.
  12. Sprout

Sprout

Will it still be titled as a 51 or will it have a modified title?

13. I think it will still show as a 1951. I personally have not gone through the procedure yet but I have 2 that need it.
    I do have a truck that has a state issued VIN number and it is still titled as a 1964.

14. oldolds

oldolds

I would go to whatever place in Kansas that handles title transfers. IE. DMV, courthouse, Justice of the Peace. ect and ask them what your options are. They usually know their jobs. Maybe even a guy at a local used car lot. They handle titles every day.

15. Jon Fletchall

Jon Fletchall

I'm kind of in the same boat with a 31 Ford i just bought. it"s title in Missouri as a 31. but has a late model 302 Ford v8, and I can"t find any vin numbers anywhere on the car. I'm at a loss. Kansas Highway Patrol says, the previous owner, needs to take the car to the Missouri Highway Patrol, and get new vin plates issues, then a new title with those numbers, then Kansas will look at it. is there another option out there?

16. Jon Fletchall

Jon Fletchall

I just want a Kansas Title and I want to drive my car. No matter what type of title the state gives me.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

They will do an inspection to see is the title matches the truck and if it is reported stolen. No equiptment check if the title is not off road or salvage. In most places any law enforce official can do it off road or salvage title will require an equiptment check by a highway patrolman.