Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Top oilers for flatheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by USMC_RatRod_Grunt, Apr 1, 2017.

1. So I was doing some messing around on google, and I came across a FoMoCo top oiler for flatheads. Now I'm a Mopar guy at heart, and don't know much about pre-65 motors, aside from the basics that make engines run, but does anyone have any input on these? Good, bad, etc? Said the most common thing used in them was good ol' Marvel oil. Is this some sort of perverbial "snake oil", or are there benefits from it?
    Sorry if this is a rehash, looked it up and couldn't find another thread about it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Bought it off that auction site. It came with everything including a T filling to allow me to tap into the PCV hose from the carb. Don't know if its a have to have by with today's gas I figure it can't hurt. IMG_3368.JPG IMG_3368.JPG IMG_3369.JPG IMG_3370.JPG IMG_3371.JPG

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Supposed to double engine life between overhauls. In those days valve piston ring and cylinder wear were a big thing, most prewar cars needed a ring and valve job at 20,000 or 30,000 miles. I should think the dry unleaded fuel you get today would be even harder on them.

Flatheads seem to be more prone to sticking valves than OHV engines although they can all stick if the car sits unused for long periods.

And, cars from the leaded fuel era (1954 - 1970) seem to be prone to valve wear if they haven't been rebuilt with new valves and hardened valve seats.

Late model cars with low tension rings and improved design don't seem to suffer the same way.

The inverse oiler could be a useful addition to an old car built before 1970.

5. I was actually thinking of repurposing my oil filter canister to be a top oiler. I have a relocation kit for the filter now, and a complete filter canister with mount just sitting in a box doing nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Elrod

Elrod

VIVA LA OILERS!!!

[​IMG]

7. 55for65

55for65
    from Michigan