Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Pontiac Ignition switch wiring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fyrffytr1, Apr 3, 2017.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

There are only three wires that hook to the switch but I don't know which one goes where. There are no markings on the back of the switch. I figure one wire is a hot one from the battery and one goes to the starter button maybe and then there's the third wire that is a small gauge one but I don't know where it goes.
    Does anyone here have a schematic for the switch?

2. one connection will be battery feed. Use a meter to determine this. The small gauge wire will connect the accessories .Turn the key to the left power the radio eg. with the engine off. One wire will be to power the ignition to run. The pushbutton is likely powered separately. Key off, the pushbutton will crack the engine over, with the key off

3. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I don't think the key will turn to the left but I will check tomorrow.

4. possibly two positions to the right then,if that's the case. First Acc, second Ignition.

5. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I was able to figure out the switch and it does only have two positions. But, someone on another site said that I should try slowly turning the switch to get the accessories to come on without energizing the coil. I won't be able to tell because none of the accessories work.
    Now, I think the starter button is bad. With the key on I get voltage to both sides of the switch whether I push it in or not. I'll pick up a switch at work tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem. I jumped the starter to turn the motor over and that is all I wanted to accomplish for the time being.
    I do appreciate all the help and I will be seeking more as I get into this project.

6. CLM

CLM

One is the power coming in, then it sends power out to the other two. I believe one then goes to the starter button and coil, while the other goes to all of the dash wiring to somewhat isolate it from the starting circuit. That seemed to be the way mine was wired from the factory and the way I put it back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

OK, the switch will only turn to the right. I took the old starter button out and it fell apart in my hand so I figured that was the culprit. But, I metered the two wires to the button and both have voltage with the switch on. I may need to revisit the ignition switch wiring. The only way I can get the starter to work is by jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. A remote starter switch will not even work. And I know the remote switch is good.

8. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

This thing is kicking my BUTT! I unhooked all the wires from the switch and the solenoid except for the main battery cable to the large lug on the solenoid. There is still voltage to the small lug on the solenoid. That makes me think the solenoid is bad. I don't know what else it could be.
    With all the wires disconnected except for the main battery feed I can jump the small lug to the large one below it and the starter will engage and run. But, if I hook a remote starter switch (known to be good) to the same lugs the starter will not work.

20170412_231255.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

The solenoid has a short in the windings. I ordered a new one that should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix my problem.