Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buying a car using Paypal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRBOB34, Apr 5, 2017.

1. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

A guy want to buy my car using paypal!
    Anyone have any experience with a transaction like this?
    I'm thinking a scam?

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Is he willing to pay the shipping to Nigeria?

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

That's ridiculous! You'll get whacked a HUGE fee, when all he has to do is wire transfer the money to your bank account. You simply provide the routing #, and it's safe and secure.

4. models916

models916

You can only use paypal for the deposit. They won't allow full price purchase after some point. They have been sued in the past for no fault of their own. You basically use pay pal for the online down payment and use other means to finish the deal.

Nailhead Jason, GZ and Poh like this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

There are only two days to get payment. Cash or wire transfer.

da34guy and bobwop like this.
  6. Wire transfer to your bank,it's the only safe way for you to receive payment. HRP

da34guy likes this.
  7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't ever accept Paypal as payment for a vehicle. There is a system that may allow the buyer to get a refund and you will be out that money

Matt@Eastwood likes this.
  8. IronTrap

IronTrap

As others mentioned, there's scams out there for paying for a car via Paypal and filing a claim to get the money back. Paypal does NOT cover the seller for vehicle purchases. Wire transfer is best aside from deposit as others have mentioned.

9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Bank to bank transfer only, it's non reversible. And let your bank handle all the details on what info is released. Way too many scammers out there!

10. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Thanks for the input!
    I'am about 99.9 % sure a scam!

11. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I've bought 2 cars with paypal (one on eBay), however they were both projects and not too expensive. I would be hesitant to sell a car to someone using paypal to pay though! haha I think cash in person is the best way to go.

Poh likes this.
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I wouldn't take more than a small deposit by Paypal...that you are prepared to lose, for a car deal. Suppose he gets it and decided he wants some money back...whether honestly or dishonestly....all he has to do is dispute it with Paypal...and if that doesn't work...he can still dispute it with his credit card company. You'd feel pretty powerless if that happens and the car is in a different state...and you're out your dough. Too risky!

Hudson31 likes this.
  13. I bought one car using PayPal for full amount- others I use PayPal for deposit then other means to pay balance-

bobwop likes this.
  14. I used pay pal for the deposit on my 51 Chevy. Bought it from a real cool guy here on the HAMB up in Jersey. sent hm the deposit via pay pal and then drove up with cash a week later to finish the deal. I would not do the entire payment through pay pal, way to much risk.

15. trailerpark

trailerpark

It's possible he wants to use PayPal so he can by it with a credit card because he doesn't have the cash.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and a good bank and banker can make it work safely for all parties. Talk to your banker,

bobwop likes this.