Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Temp gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Apr 4, 2017.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

I have a issue with the stock tank on my truck, so I am currently using a plastic can and hose untill I can afford to replace it. What I dislike about the can and hose set up is it is always in the way when someone rides with me and it smells. I have several older Jerry cans and I am wondering if I could place one of them in the bed instead of the cab. What would I need to do to connect a fuel line to it so it could stay water tight. Does the outlet need to be welded or is there a mechanical one that can be drilled in?

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You can solder the outlet in. Use a soldering iron and not a torch. you will have to make your can and outlet really clean and use good flux. yes you can set the can in the bed.

or you can use a boat tank inside the cab or in the bed. You can usually find one cheap at a junk store or swap meet/flea market. When I first joined the HAMB boat tanks were really popular. LOL I own several myself and keep them just for that purpose or incase I ever own a boat. :D

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please, either stop driving the truck until you get the plastic tank out of the cab - burned bodies smell terrible and leave an awful emotional burden on First Responders, not to mention family.

Also, if you're going to weld on a gasoline container, either take it to someone who knows what he's doing or up your life insurance.

4. ^^^ yep.

I spent a month in the burn ward in the '70s. Burning people reek and it was several years before I could eat pork after that. :(

5. Put a RIB tank in the bed and strap it down. Don't put it in the cab FFS

6. A gas can in the cab....
    Just the static electricity generated from a sweater could ignite the fumes.

7. i have seen guys use portable boat fuel tanks in the beds of trucks before. temporary only.

8. opinion only here but even the plastic can would work in the bed and be a better idea than in the cab. ;)

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can probably find a six gallon boat tank on Criaigslist pretty cheap or at a yard sale. Most have a hose barb to put a 3/8 hose on or one will screw into the fitting. It's a bit ugly but I/ve strapped a gas tank down in the bed of one or more of my trucks over the years when the regular tank in it wasn't usable. Still safer than having something inside with fumes floating around.
    You might also hunt around for one of those auxiliary tanks that goes in front of the bed. I run my 71 GMC with one that someone had made out of stainless that bolts in and works good. Again craigslist, the little nickle or yard sales.

10. I used a 25 gallon tank out of an old land yaught in an OT truck. Cut the bed and let it sit down on the flanges then made a cover for it so I could throw stuff in the bed if I wanted to. The old tank was free and it gave me better range then the original 15 gallon tank.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. A gas tank should never be "temporary" if driven further than around the shop.

Gimpy could type a more eloquent explanation!!!!!!

13. It's ok , Temporary gas tanks only make temporary fires.

I drove a car 1-1/2 miles with fuel in the windshield washer tank and its pump.

14. There is no way this ends well.

15. henry29

henry29

Pull the tank, shake it around with a chain in it, pressure wash it at the car wash, and seal it with Red-Kote.
    I've used it for years and it works perfect.
    I get it at O'reily's for less than $30.

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

All fires are temporary. They will quit burning when there is nothing left that can burn. Sometimes it just takes longer to burn everything available to it, and it burns up more stuff then we want or expect. Usually we don't want to let a fire burn itself out and we extinguish it. There is a lot of stuff in a car or truck that can burn.

Invest in a gas tank, and mount it like its going to stay there for a long time, preferably not in the cab, there are so many better locations for a gas tank. Gene

17. LOL anything temporary at my house is permanent. So I try to not do anything temporary. ;)

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I am a 25 year retired firefighter and your situation is an accident just waiting to happen. You have no idea how the smallest spark can ignite your gas can. An arc within the headlight switch or other electric part and you are in serious trouble. I can't believe you have people willing to ride with you. Fix it right!!!!!

19. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I bought an o/t monte carlo (enduro racing) 20 years ago that the trans was bad in. I got there to pick it up with the wrecker and the guy asks if its alright if he can keep his gas can from the car. I said sure don't care, he walks up, opens the passenger door and proceeds to pull a plastic gas can out of the rear seat. I hook up to car and get back to the shop with it. The fuel line was run into the back seat, the foam on the rear seat was all disintegrated from the fuel dripping on it and the ashtray was over flowing with butts. I have no clue why the thing didn't go sky high.