Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Did you or your kids grow up riding in the back seat of a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Great pics! Livin the dream.

2. My daughter grew up riding in the back seat of a 65 Mustang,which was our daily driver. Her first car was a 70 Mustang with a 428,which she still has and will be my grandsons first car. She and her husband make a living building Fox body Mustang drag cars. There seems to be a pattern here

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i used to sleep on the package tray of dad's '50 merc, which was a year old at the time. when i got too big, my brother slept there!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

When my daughter was born the only car I had at the time was a humpback 37 Ford 2dr Sedan with dual carbed Flathead. I mounted 1 set of seatbelts in the back to hold her carseat in, she used to run her fingers back and forth through the original mohair fabric. She's almost 33 now and attends the Btt50's yearly with her girls in tow. Her husband isn't into rods or customs. My grand daughters love riding in the rumble seat of the roadster on short jaunts and around the events grounds.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. I remember when I was just a little shaver in the early 60's, my 2 uncles bought a black '40 Ford coupe and put in a 283 out of a wrecked Corvette. Me and my cousin would ride behind the seats and they would be flying 90 mph in second gear! We would all be laughing. Those were the days! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Here's my grandkids. One of my favorite pictures...

[​IMG]

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

My dad had a new '37Ford. I remember going to a dance with him and comming home with my mom. I was born 1938.

enloe, dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Nope Brenda is my age, old for me but way young for her. Danny is a cradle robber. :D

@squirrel you ruint them kids. :D :D

We used to try in the old Merc, mostly out at a place called Lee's Falls. We still laugh about it, I had my own place and we were still trying in the old Merc after we were married. Some how it was just more fun in the car.

I remember once at the drive-in we asked my friend Romaldo if we could use his Torino and he said, "Why don't ju jus wait 'til you're home mang." His girl friend laughed and said, "Oh Romey ju jus don't got no romance" :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

As kids we bounced around in an old 49 Plymouth then a 51 chevy and on to sone station wagons with rear facing back seat. But my kids grew up in my 49 merc custom. Every weekend all weekend we went to shows and cruises . They still talk about how much fun they had in that back seat. My youngest is now just shy of forty years old. It was a great time for all.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Danny,I grew up in the back seat of my dads STOCK 39 Willys sedan,,,,around 1940 call it someones Future hotrod.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

no rod rides here, but us kids would hunker down into the harrow "holes" left at the end of each tractor's pass, from there we would watch the model T and model A tours heading to the Boothbay Railway Museum... Sawlots of black cars in the mid '60's... we also played station wagon duck, ducking into the holes when one went by...
    our biggest worry was to be home in time for supper... didn't even worry about sunburns, skeetoz or ticks...

12. I can only imagine. HRP

13. Danny.
    Somewhere in my photos.I have a pic of my Mom standing beside that Willys..1n 1939 I was only 6 yrs old...

14. When I was small, I remember riding in the back of Dads 1963 340 horse split window Vette. Boy do I miss that one

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. My kids grew up traveling around in my 40. Lots of rod runs and cruise nights.

img036.jpg

pics of pics 021.jpg

img035.jpg

Nats east York, when you could camp.

timonium nats east jalopyrama08 054.jpg

Western Md. Street Rod roundup. Early 90's

av3.jpg boys@cumberland.jpg

My daughter around 1985.

41356_479834969026_420481_n.jpg

My daughters daughter in the same car, 2016.

10273466_10208242348727138_7837261165599829929_n.jpg

11219415_10207855543697254_2791789182695162759_n.jpg

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the 40s my seat in Dad's Chevy was behind him on top of a big wood tool box,oldist thing in my head about riding in that car,is riding home on the box,with my Mom an brand new baby Sister in front with Dad. Dad had rebuilt the 6 in the car an I got to see him doing it @ 4years old,but thats another story of a sandbucket an rasins filling the intake carb hole ! LOL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I think one of my favorite rides was up the coast from San Francisco to Portland in the Ol' Man's roadster. he loaded me up and took me down to the shop on a Friday night. Then he proceeded to freshen the motor, took al night and a bunch of his buddies showed up to get in the way, uh help. I remember sitting on the work bench and *sipping rum with a fella from Oakland. I woke up on the creeper wrapped up in his leather jacket, it smelled funny (mine smells like that today LOL). One of the men handed me a cup of coffee and stuffed a donut in my hand and hollered, "hey the kid's up." The Ol' Man lit the fresh motor off and proceeded to get it dialed in. then he stuffed me in the seat and off up the coast we went.

Funny thing is that I did pretty much the same thing about 20 years later with my '46. A couple of the same guys were there then too. I guess you really do end up the way that you start out. ;)

* lighten the hell up, I wasn't drinking jus tasting out of the man's cup.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. My dad didn't own a hot rod but he had a 56 Chevy sedan delivery and that was the family car,I vividly remember crawling in the back and sleeping on a old mattress when he traveled back & forth to Columbia,S.C. at night during the summer when it was cooler but we still cooked in that car. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  19. Well now it must have been a hot car. :)

20. Hot like a oven or a 4 balled tom cat!,

We didn't know what air conditioning was and I honestly think Hades was patterned after Columbia,South Carolina,HOT,MUGGY,HUMID & UNCOMFORTABLE during the evening ~ UNBEARABLE during the day.

Seriously,Columbia gets hotter than any other place in South Carolina,unless you are drafted and have to report to Fort Jackson on January 6th....I froze my butt off! HRP

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  21. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Well, seeing how I'm 48 and born in 68 most of the cars are off topic. But, all at one time my dad had a 66 fairlane GT which my mom and him bought in 67 as a dealer demo, a 68 GTO convertible(389 tri power 4spd), 66 Mercury Cyclone GT convertible(390 4 spd), 66 Mercury hardtop(390 auto), 68 SS 396 Nova(tunnel ram, 2 4's and 4 spd) and my step mom had a 71 Chevelle SS that she ordered on fall of 1970. I still have the 66 Fairlane GT and the Chevelle SS. So, depending on who you talk to, yes I did end up riding in the back of "Hot Rods" just newer ones.

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

My dad had station wagons when I was a kid...the antithesis of a hot rod, in the 60s-70s

OL 55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I grew up riding to shows in the backseat of a 1948' Anglia and a 1938 Chevy Coupe, maybe that's why my back is jacked up!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

No but I grew up riding between the front seats of this one(working on getting it back on the road now) :)

DSCN5498.JPG
    Ethan when we got it out of storage DSCN5525.JPG How it looks after a bath

25. This has been runnin around in my head ever since I read this.

Maybe this one is more On topic.LOL

26. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

road-12.jpg First car I remember was Dad's '49 Ford, then he had 1 '40/41 Ford pick up, then he had '53 Chevy, '49 Chevy, '49 Chevy pick up. None were hot rods, just the family cars.
    I built the avatar Chevy when daughter was about 7, but then 2 boys came along. So the daughter rode in the seat with wife and I and the boys, well I removed the package tray and just had an opening. The boys would go to car shows and places in small kid's lawn chairs behind the seat. When bigger, updated to a board with bleacher seat clamped to it. Rode that way until the daughter was driving and had lowered Dodge Ram 50 pick up.
    We never got stopped either. Think it was hard to see them in there.
    When we got to a show, it was almost like a clown car when the boys climbed out from behind the seat. I do have seat belts for three in the seat.
    I do have a picture of the daughter in my old roadster, Dodge with a flathead.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I sold my chopped and channeled 32 five window back in the 70's and built a 30 two door sedan. Would take the family out in it to shows etc. Then once they were old enough to not want to be with us anymore I chopped the two door, took bumpers off, louvered the hood and front apron and repainted it black. Trying to go from Resto Rod to Hot Rod!
    32-5window_0007.jpg ModelA.jpg Vaun_0012.jpg

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. That is about the prefect chop on the tudor.

29. Mark, that chopped Tudor sedan looks familiar,especially the old Buick style wires,did you ever go to Gatlingburg in that car? HRP

30. Thanks! 4-1/2" 's
    I remember the night I cut the roof off my finished car.:eek: My wife had no idea I was going to do it. I had been chopping a couple of friends cars and I had the bug. That first cut into the finished paint was like cutting my arm.
    Another shot before bumpers were removed. Also check the stainless steel dropped headlight bar I made. The second bolt came in from underneath. ModelA_0007.jpg
    ModelA_0006.jpg