Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

for racing Spec, you are not allowed to grind/polish the welds, show or restoration it is okay. I would have cut out the entire tube, but thats me, it take a lot of time to finish off a splice so that the paint does not show the repair. But if its your car and you are paying yourself, do it whatevere way pleases you

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  2. 1947knuck

1947knuck

After some time and searching I found the moon tank I was after. Moon makes an exact replica of this tank but I wanted an older one for the duller finish, and not the new look. It came with the original mounting brackets but aftermarket hold down spring straps. I did a lot of searching and passed on a few to get this one. It's a nice tank. IMG_2063.JPG

winr, TBirdGirl26, loner2 and 11 others like this.
    loudbang likes this.
  4. Ditch the springs though......

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yes isn't that how they were held in the car with the two cast brackets bolted to the frame ?

6. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I thought so. I didn't like the clear hose over the springs. The brackets have a red hose that is split to go over the brackets to cushion the tank when it's in place. I used old air hose that matched that color and used it in place of the clear. I think it looks better and kinda vintage. I changed the fuel cap, notice the spinners are cut down from the previous picture. Stay tuned for the cool history on this cap and other parts we found. IMG_2066.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Have you ever felt like this. I do about now. I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks for following and commenting. 1B4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 12 others like this.
  8. pontman

pontman

Sweet Dragmaster! I want one so bad to hang this...
    016.jpg

winr, loner2, Stebo27 and 15 others like this.
  9. If that's not the cutest thing I ever did see. How old is the little dickens?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck likes this.
  10. Springs are a sick bird to NHRA had to go to clamps and ss strap better hold down and legal V8 insigna 01.jpg

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Good going as the red hose looks just right

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cuuute is right.
    And I thought my little buddie could sleep in any position.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. A good friend of mine has this one in his collection. He has met with Dode about it before bringing it to New Zealand. Will be put back on the track for exhibition runs in the future. I just love the look of them. JW
    [​IMG]

14. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Some years back my little girl and I we're looking at pictures of dogs on the internet. This is a picture I saved because he looked so relaxed and worry free. It seemed to fit me last night.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 4 others like this.
  15. pontman

pontman

Yes on the M/T header adapters. It's a 316ci 56 block with 544127 SD heads, vintage roller cam. Cragar timing cover Vertex mag. Just a bunch of cool old speed parts.

1947knuck, 61cad, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  16. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Dode told me that they used early jeep master cylinders for their cars. They are the same from 1942-71. I got an NOS one it fit the original bracket perfect so did the plunger on the brake handle. We cleaned the brake handle and cleaned and painted the rearend. IMG_1863.JPG

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

1947knuck, OahuEli, rjones35 and 2 others like this.
  18. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Dode ask me to look at our front hubs. They used Harley Davidson hubs on their first cars then decided to make their own. Their first hubs we're not correct. Dode said the spoke holes on hubs are supposed to be offset across from each other to line up easier with the rim, he didn't know that at the time so they made theirs straight across. The company lacing the rims told him they would work it just made it harder to lace up. So there we're only a few of that first design made. Our car has the incorrect first design hubs. He thought it was nice that our car still had those original hubs, so do we. IMG_1835.JPG

winr, TBirdGirl26, loner2 and 13 others like this.
  19. 1947knuck

1947knuck

These 2 pictures are of a local racer here in Amarillo that raced in the late 50's early 60's. Jack Moss had two different side by side SBC dragsters. The first car was Paxton supercharged and the 2nd car ran GMC blowers. Jack later ran a single engine dragster. He passed away a few years back. He ran a local garage just down the street and did business with us for years. jack-moss-nhra-nationals.jpg dragster14.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  20. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Just after we started the restoration on our Dragmaster a friend of ours and a good friend of Jack Moss since the 50's told us that a few of the pieces from the two twin engine cars of Jack's were still at his old shop. The current owner of the shop had no interest in them, so we got them. We got the rear end from the Paxton car with the 2 axle tubes that were modified to full floaters. The old slicks still mounted, the Moon Tank. The front axle and one set of valve covers off the red car. Assorted drilled brake backing plates, blower pieces, quick change safety shields, other cool pieces, not all we're photographed. I am using the Moon cap and have put the home made vent back on since the pictures of our tank we're posted. I think it looks cool that way. IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2253.JPG IMG_2258.JPG

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 15 others like this.
  21. rooman

rooman

No need to do that if it does not have to pass tech Carl.

Roo

1947knuck and mad mikey like this.
  22. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Hey Roo; Back in 2015 just after I got this Dragmaster either on this forum or a vintage dragster forum I posted about this car asking a question and it was you that gave me Dode's last known phone number and it was correct. I never thanked you but I really appreciated that. Thanks Charles.

Spoggie, TBirdGirl26, loner2 and 5 others like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

Glad that I was able to help. The car is killer!

Roo

Spoggie and 1947knuck like this.
  24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Knuck to get your front wheels done up right , send them to ' Buchanan's ' frame & wheel in Azusa Ca 626 969 4655

Be sure to tell them about the special hubs and why the holes are like the way they are

They are the best bar none

DND

loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  25. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I've used them in the past for spokes and lacing an old Indian. I agree they are the best. Thanks.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 3 others like this.
  26. Another vote for Buchanan. They did a beautiful job on our Bonneville bike wheels. Their polished stainless spokes and nipples are the way to go.

loudbang likes this.
  27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hey roo, if they run this think down a track, and get her into a wall or upside down, i would worry about that tank smacking you in the head with those springs, or fuel in your face, just thinking safety. if your just firing it up for show its fine.

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Like I was saying just light em up for a 100 feet, that's all he needs and be pretty safe too

A ton better than setting still with a bit of fire coming out of the pipes, boo

DND

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  29. 1947knuck

1947knuck

That's the plan, I don't want to risk hitting anything or flipping this old car. When we got the package from Dode with the friction shocks we also got an invitation to his 90th birthday party, and we decided to go. So we pushed the dragster outside for one last look at it so far then took the front end off to send it to Speed Sport Chrome in Houston. I've seen their work and it is very nice. We're only going to chrome what was originally chromed. IMG_1879.JPG IMG_2011.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  30. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Instead of the chrome rear wheels that are on the car, we decided to go with an American Style wheel that you see on cars from that era. We had the tires mounted and put an old brake drum we painted black on to get the look. We like it. IMG_1998.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017