Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats the best way to flush the cooling system {56 chrysler}

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 2, 2017.

1. My new radiator hoses should be in tomorrow{I had to order them} for the 56 Chrysler Windsor. I want to flush the cooling system 1st. Should I start with the water hose at the heat core box or at the water pump area 1st.Thanks Bruce.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Aftermarket flush systems are worthless.
    Spend some time and do this.
    Remove the RETURN hoses for your heater AND your radiator. Install a small screen into the hose and reattach them.
    Drain your system and fill it with 100% vinegar.
    Run the car for a week. Heated vinegar cleans better than cold.
    Be sure to check your screens during this time for blockage.
    Drain and flush with a hose while running after a week.
    Remove your screens and you will be good to go after you throw in a small amount of baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Bruce Fischer, 302GMC and Texas Webb like this.
  3. Hey, what a neat trick. Im going to try that too on my old Chevelle.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. crossthread

crossthread

Hi. It might sound silly , I have had some success with draining old fluids then adding two table spoons tide laundry soap then fill with water .Run engine till warm and drain repeat till drained water is clear. I have also ran a mixture of vinegar and water , But only in iron blocks with copper radiators.
    But I an sure someone will make fun of this trick taught to me by my dear old grandpa. good luck .

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I barrowed one of these from an old timer and great friend (RIP) once. He got it when a friend of his closed his service station, probably back in the 60's. They still make modern versions, from what I've searched. Extreme care is required, but they work like a charm if you can find one to barrow.
    [​IMG]

38 mopar_fan and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

First thing I do is disconnect the heater core and run water from a garden hose backwards through it. It is amazing how much crap comes out of the heater core when back flushed. Then I disconnect both radiator hoses and back flush the radiator (garden hose in the bottom of radiator). Take the thermostat out of the engine and back flush the engine (garden hose in the top.) Then put it together and put what ever you want in it if you feel it needs more cleaning.

Bruce Fischer and modeleh like this.
  7. 41woodie

41woodie

Petejoe, you seriously run the engine using full strength vinegar as coolant? That would have never occurred to me. Are the water jackets down to bare clean metal? I assume that aluminum heads/intakes etc. would not benefit from this treatment.

8. belair

belair

There should be a silver handle you just push down and it flushes. Maybe that technology hasn't gotten to Tennessee. ;). I like the vinegar on metals that can take it. Be sure to neutralize it. I used it and CLR to get a marginal 55 Chevy radiator to work better. But I only waited about 30 minutes. I was afraid it would damage the radiator.

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Drain system and back flush all with water.
    Re fill with water and a cup of electrosol.
    Go for a nice 50 mile drive get the engine good and warm.
    Drain water and electrosol. Add fresh water and run till warm drain and fill with your favorite coolant.
    Got this recipe from a Lawyer outta Dublin Georgia.

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Bruce also when you drain what ever you use, Pull the bottom radiator hose for a good quick drain! You will be suprized what comes out! Gary

BradinNC and Bruce Fischer like this.
  11. BradinNC

BradinNC

I drained everything out , unhooked bottom hose. Refilled with water, drove 1/2 hr, repeat. Then refill with water, add 1 dishwasher tablet. Drive 1/2 hr, drain,refill with water. Drive 1/2 hr again, drain, and refill with water coolant mix.

Don't forget the puke tank. It can really get nasty. On second thought, doubt if a 56 has a puke tank.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Unless you want to spend a lot of time just remove the upper radiator hose at the radiator put a garden hose in at the radiator cap and run the car until you get clear water coming out the upper hose. Then drain the radiator and add enough antifreeze to give a 50 50 mix. This will get most of the old coolant out that may have become acid. If the block has rust and junk in it removing the core plugs is about the only way to get it out.

Bruce Fischer and Flat Six Fix like this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes I am serious. Lots of info on it here.
    Great results. It's just like cleaning your coffee maker of corrosion and lime deposits. I've done this many times. Ive never seen any effect on aluminum. I run aluminum heads. Never had this happen but if for some reason your radiator springs a leak, then it was soon time for it to happen irregardless.
    It'll clean water jackets and radiator.
    I did this three different times on my 8ba because it was overheating.
    Never had a problem with it since.
    Here are some very good results.
    Read these.
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8724532

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some engines have NPT fittings on the block, if you can remove these there is a lot of accumulated rust and scale in the water jackets that can be flushed out.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cascade dishwasher soap. First flush with clean water to get the old antifreeze out, then put some Cascade in and refill and run a while. I've ran it a week in warm weather before I drained it and reflushed with clear water.
    Caterpillar sends it in the box when you buy a new oil cooler from them to get the oil out of the coolant passages. It will get a lot of the rust out as well.

Bruce Fischer, BradinNC and belair like this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce, lots of good information on this thread and some not so good. Too much pressure can cause all kinds of problems. Be careful, some off that stuff is over sixty years old.

Gary

17. I backed flushed everything today. I just have to remove the thermostate and back flush it again. I was really surprised how clean everything that came out was. Even the heater core was clean. Tomorrow I pick up the radiator and heater hoses and antifreeze for the old girl.Thanks for all your information you all. Bruce.

BradinNC and wraymen like this.
  18. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just used the typical flushing kit from the parts store. I made sure I ran it with flushing liquid in it for at least as long as they recommend and running it hot. It took a very long time to get the water to run clean after I did it.

Attached Files:

19. BJR

BJR

Why would you believe a Lawyer?

20. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Cuz he is a southern Lawyer and a gent that love Mopar flathead 6s.....LOL