Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Post Why you help the *APPRECIATIVE* people that ASK for help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj1951, Mar 31, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I give out what I know to others (witch ain't much) to maybe help someone and most the time I learn something also.

2. ^^^^^ Thats what it is all about!^^^^^

mgtstumpy and henryj1951 like this.
  3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Ya i try to be funny sometimes but (have been told OTHERWISE )...
    When --->Jim ,Pbeaner, 31, hrp, fg, there's ton of REAL good guys say something ,it MOST likely is the correct ANSWER, and it is too Late, for some of us to help (snooze ya lose) NO POINT in just REPEATING the answer....so i just click/push the like button.

4. The better question is why not?
    I help people because I do, I never ever thought that there was a real reason for it.

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

shit!, none of this is real?

clem and henryj1951 like this.
  6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

A few times, I have said WHAT I thought was correct, only to BE corrected by The best , AH yep right here.
    There ARE no BETTER people on the (CAR PEOPLE) planet, than the ones right here.
    I'll say this, it is too bad we are LIMITED to 65-n- older ---->MY wish would be to EXPAND to AMERICAN points fired ---or----1972 ish.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  7. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Its called "passing the torch". In our younger years, we didn't know it all, we looked for help by hanging around the guys older then us who had hot rod and fast cars. Watching and helping them taught us a lot. Now its our turn to help others. Theres no such thing as a stupid question. Lets keep the ball rolling!

henryj1951 likes this.
  8. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^SEE Right there now thats what i'm talking bout...

9. When I read of a problem that I have encountered and worked out, I like to think that if I share my knowledge about the subject, I can save someone else (usually a car nut) some time, money & headaches. I have used other people's wisdom many times, and am always greatful. Its Carma.
    A couple of nights ago I stopped to help this young lad who had broken down in a mid -60's Valiant, middle lane, busy road. Of course everyone in their 2016 black turdbox are too flippin busy to stop, and would just pull up, blast their horn, and then piss off.
    I got him going again, (bad alternator, just enough juice in the battery to power the ignition, but not the lights), drove behind him and followed him home (couple of miles). Turned out I know his dad (early Chev nut as well), caught up with him after 25 years, and the son learnt a bit about alternators and regulators. Everybody happy!

BradinNC, clunker and henryj1951 like this.
  10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ This^ Ya know we should have a PROUD button , as well as the LIKE.
    There Click (1)one for the ---> 36roadster

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It's like we like to hear ourselves talking whether someone is listing or not.
    Me being raised as a army brat I listen a lot.

mad mikey and henryj1951 like this.
  12. :p

BradinNC and henryj1951 like this.
  13. I think that if no one every helped me, i would not know how to help out someone else. so if it starts early, helping others seems like the right thing to do and a way of life.

There's also the golden rule: do unto others as you'd have done unto you.

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

Well, I like to help out because I know everything, and am happy to share my thoughts, as I'm always right. All my friends like to point that out, that's how I know it to be true, trouble is, they don't listen to me, so I'm always looking for fresh meat.
    Really though, if us old guys don't pass it on, who will? When somebody shows you the tricks they know, the easy ways to do things, the I never thought of that stuff, then it gets lost.....forever.

henryj1951 likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

heh...

I have yet to skin a knuckle while helping someone over the internet!

16. I broke a nail once. :D :D :D

@saltflats I talk all the time whether or not anyone is around. I was working on someone's car at MoKan one year, and I guess I was just yammerin' away. Robin was hangin'over the fender and someone asked him how he worked around me and he just said, "You learn to not hear him after a while." :D

saltflats likes this.
  17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you ask i will give all the information that i can to help, or show you how to do it. as my grand dad said the only dumb ? is the one you did not ask

mgtstumpy and henryj1951 like this.
  18. One day my buddy asks me " hey man I noticed you don't talk to much, why is that?" So I said "well, you don't listen because you interrupt me all the time with what you want to say. So if I don't say much the outcome is nearly the same for you, but I ain't so tired because it's just a whole lot less work for me" (Interrupted) "yeah I do listen"

Then I said "it's better for me to just go talk to the garage door, I'm not expecting an interruption, I'm not expecting a thoughtful reply to what I just said, nor am I expecting the garage door to dump its problems on me" interrupted "I have lots of thoughtful replies ".

So then I asked " ok, what did I just say?" He says "I guess that I talk too much " I said nope, I said you don't listen. Your brain is preoccupied with what you want to say, your thoughts are jammed up on the starting line, your tongue is staged and your waiting for the tree to start so can drop the hammer on the word vomit stuck in your throat. No way you have a brain cell available for listening."

Listening is the bigger and more important part of communication. "Listening" doesn't mean to take action on what's been said like following advice or directions, Listening is actually being interested in what someone is saying with some intent on understanding.

TagMan, metlmunchr, wraymen and 6 others like this.
  19. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I think of some of the (in my mind) Auto 'giants' that helped me when I was younger fix, or figure out how to repair things. Unfortunately 2 of them passed just last year. I HOPE that I can help new/younger folks in this "car" hobby that we all seem to love as much as these guys have helped me.
    I volunteer a few days a week at the Museum, and enjoy teaching what I can to others there in the shop.

henryj1951 likes this.
  20. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I lurk a lot, learn a lot, and enjoy the H.A.M.B. I try not to butt in unless it's a topic I know. You learn more that way. I was out of hot rodding for 35 years and have found the learning curve interesting to say the least. I hope I keep my mouth shut most of the time, especially when others are more in the know.........Regardless hot rodding is helping each other to enjoy our passion, i.e., the cars

mad mikey and henryj1951 like this.
  21. 41GASSER

41GASSER

I feel most comfortable around people of similar interests and persons with a desire to learn and improve their skills. When I see an opportunity help out a fellow enthusiast I generally enjoy sharing my experience and it's also good to keep making those deposits into the Karma jar.

19Eddy30, henryj1951 and mad mikey like this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

I just hope it comes back around.

henryj1951 likes this.
  23. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Since the OP said that we could brag on this thread-
    A few weeks ago we got a Cadillac v16 into the shop. It would run, but not very well, and certainly not like it should have. When I showed up, the other guys were like "we are glad you are here to fix this" while I'm saying this is the FIRST V16 car that I have EVER had the chance to work on.
    The Foreman said "Well, you're the multi-cylinder guy" (meaning V12's and NOW V16's) as I asked him isn't a straight eight "Multi- cylinder?";)
    "Here's the book, get to work" was his reply:)

henryj1951 likes this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's why I listen a lot because if I opened my mouth I got the did some one ask you to speak.

henryj1951 likes this.
  25. NAES

NAES

I have gained a ton of knowledge from the HAMB and any time I can share a bit of it I like to. Owning a not-to-oftentimes-seen Mopar at least allows me to have the possibility of offering up some info that maybe a few HAMBers won't know.

This place is an amazing resource for all things hot rod and custom. A Google search will usually have a HAMB post on the first page, if not the first result.

jeffd1988, weps and henryj1951 like this.
  26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

GOT that right....

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And show pictures<------

28. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

IMAG3438  AA.jpg

1930 Cadillac Coupe, V16
    Overhead Valves, awesome valve covers,
    "Waterfall" spark plug wires to make the engine look "Cleaner"
    The "Neck" on the Carburetor is PART OF the carb, and while cool looking,
    makes them (one per side) not much fun to work on.
    hope you like them.
    This IS a very nice car!! we are going to take it this summer to a few shows even though it is not an ACD car

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    jeffd1988 likes this.
  29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

30. carbking

carbking

In the larger scheme of things, whether it be real estate, coin collections, cars, or knowledge; we are caretakers for those who come after us.

How well we do our job says much about ourselves, and reflects on how we will be remembered.

Jon.

oj, hotrodyankee, clunker and 2 others like this.