Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pontiac 389 64

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jeffs64cat, Mar 31, 2017.

1. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Have a chance to get a Edelbrock P-22 2x4 intake cheap. My motor is going to be rebuild with stock pistons a XE268 comp cam and heads done. Don't know my hp after that. All I know is it 267 hp stock. Just wondering if this manifold with dual carb is worth the xtra funds

I know the exhaust is lacking with only a 2" outlet.

Or should I stay with the Pontiac 4bbl intake and carter setup I just picked up. My motor is 2 bbl now.

Looking for ideas and opinions

I worked on my own motors when I was younger. But that been a while back.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BJR

BJR

If you have the low compression dished pistons the 2x4 is a waste of money. I would run the 4bbl until it is broken in anyways. Then go to more carbs after break in if needed.

3. Keep the 4bbl, those heads are small valve anyway. Maybe find an early Edelbrock alum intake EP4B to save weight, those early intakes weigh a ton. You can always find an original Carter Comp series AFB rated 750CFM. As far as cam goes Melling has the SPC7 (double check that number) the old Pontiac 068 cam. Great all round cam with some exhaust sound. You can open up the exhaust to larger pipe diameter. Check the Ames Performance/Performance Years Pontiac Forums. Exhaust tech has some good pics by B-man and 62-64 Big Car tech. Lots of info there.

4. Look for some heads from a GP or Bonneville , 4 bbl engine. I'd look for a GTO tri-power setup, once you get the compression up. 421 long branch manifolds, and bigger exhaust. It'll haul ass and look original.
    Gotta ask..What are we doing about the transmission? I'll hold back on cam recommendation till then.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you can get a Pontiac 2x4 manifold cheap you oughta grab it. The older speed equipment just keeps getting more and more expensive. Period correct speed equipment is always cool. Even if you don't use it right away, you may eventually build up to it. There are several threads on here about running dual quads that can help you if you decide to step up to it at some point.
    Mark is right about heads, since you are rebuilding the engine you should get the best heads you can afford. The exhaust may be a problem, I'm not sure anyone makes a header that will fit your engine/chassis combo and those factory Hi-perf manifolds are pretty pricey. Check with Butler, Ames, Tin Indian, and Rock and Roll engr.
    Great car, good luck...........

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. carbking

carbking

The original 4 barrel Carter, with a very minor modification, would outperform the sexier (and more expensive) tripower.

If you like dual quads (I do), then don't get the Edelbrock intake. Look for an Offenhauser. The carb spacing on the Offy matches that of the factory Pontiac dual quads, while the Edelbrock is closer together (ala Chevy). The Offy will perform better on the Pontiac (several horsepower difference) and use a pair of matched (by tag number) original Pontiac AFB's. Doesn't really matter which ones, although if you have an automatic, then use original automatic carburetors rather than manual carburetors. The original AFB's will significantly outperform the new e-clones on a Pontiac.

And the 267 HP 2 barrel engine had the same 10.5:1 compression heads as the 4-barrel. Not a bad head, although the GTO/421 head was better.

Jon.

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. You are correct on the heads 267 and 283 hp = same head, different cam. My mistake.
    Now ,the original AFB was, what 575 cfm? .I still say the tri-power ( of course, with a few modification too) would perform better , especially if the car is a 4-speed, which we don't know yet.
    Plus it would still look original . 2x4's look stupid in those applications anyway...in MY opinion.

8. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Mark,

I've already started picking up manual parts to convert it to a 4 speed. Been talking with Dave at fabcraft. This is taking most of my coin.

Jon,

I sent you a pm about my Carter stock carb. So hopefully I find out what I have.

All,

My Catalina runs and drives right now. Planning on going to Poci event in Ga. on May 5&6.

It needs body work and rust is bleeding through the paint but in time it'll be right.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. carbking

carbking

Mark - the single minor modification necessary on the stock AFB is simply removing the unnecessary piece that Pontiac paid Carter to put on the AFB to prevent the AFB from outrunning the tripower in stock form. Think how inconvenient that would have been ;) No other modification necessary. If you are interested, call me some time.

As to the looks of the single four, tripower, or dual quads; beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. To me, the tripower is the least appealing of the three, but that is my opinion. It probably shouldn't be, as I have sold, rebuilt, or sold kits for hundreds of tripowers! I really like dual quads, both for looks and functionality. I even have dual quads on my shop truck!

Jeffrey, received, and responded to your PM. And that is a pretty Pontiac!!!

Jon.

mcsfabrication and jeffs64cat like this.
  10. Good looking Poncho.There is some Pontiac parts on craigs list in San Antonio and a 3-2 manifold with carbs.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Carbking how about just posting what the one thing you modify to make an AFB out perform tripower?

das858 likes this.
  12. I listened to Jon and sold off my dual quad Edelbrock intake and found a nice Offenhauser dual quad intake. I've got enough 3300s and 3326s afb carbs to make up a nice pair . BTW, the afb's in those numbers are 625 CFM each.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  13. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Jon,

Searched the carter today and found all the required numbers you need. I'll call Monday. Thanks

If anyone would like to see it I have a video of my car when I got it about two months ago. It looks good from a far. Inside is missing stuff but I think it's a good find.

14. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Pulled the trigger on a 2x4 offenhauser manifold this weekend

Talk to Jon this morning and found out my carter afb on my recently purchased 61-64 4 bbl manifold is a 3326s. Now I'm on the search to find another one to make a matching set and get this started. So if anyone knows where I can grab up one let me know.
    Anyone looking for a single stock 4bbl manifold let me know as it's going up for sale.

15. Jon's shop truck might be okay with 2 fours, ..don't know the year.
    But your car will look like you are trying to make a hot rod out of a tank.
    Why not stick a 6-71 through the hood and get it over with?

16. Your car brings back memories of being 19 and having a 421 tri-power 4 spd posi-traction 64 GP. It was a $50 junker, but OH God, would it go. Tore up the clutch and sold it off for parts. Never looked as good as yours!

jeffs64cat likes this.
  17. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

If everyone liked the same thing this world would be a boring place.

I'm a guy that likes to be different. So in the future I hope you'll enjoy seeing my hot rodded tank. Lol

18. Jeff, Trust me. Putting 2 fours where they don't belong, is not an original idea. ;-)

belair likes this.
  19. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Seems like my post died because some people don't like dual carbs.. I don't understand why dual are any different than have three carbs. Is because it was a factory thing that caused the tri powered to be a favorite?

In my opinion you build your ride the way you want. Letting someone else tell you what to put on your build makes it everyone else's not your own.

Pontiac did do a dual powered from the factory.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  20. belair

belair

Great car, great engine, 2X4 would be my first choice for other than original induction. Get it done, and then let all the nay-sayers be jealous that they didn't do it.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  21. Don't get all het up. :)

If you want to take time to listen to anyone about Carter carbs or Pontiac induction Jon ( @carbking ) is your man. His advice on the offy over the eddy intake is spot on, the offy is way closer to the original 2x4 and will way out perform the trips. The Poncho tri-power looked cool but it will never outperform a properly tuned single 4 or a 2x4.

No one is saying that you should not run multi carbs, just that you already have a running setup and to take your time and find a good setup rather than take whatever is available today.

Enjoy your Poncho they are good old cars.

jeffs64cat and olscrounger like this.
  22. Jeff,
    I , for one, never said I didn't like 2x4's. My point was, if you're trying to build a 62 or 63 Super Duty -looking clone, that would be one thing, but on a 64 big car, they look out of place. Same thing for guys who put Super Duty hood scoops on 64 cars.
    Also, I doubt they will do much ,with that 268 cam, besides make a lot of noise.
    If you're looking for oohs and ahs at the local cruise nights, plus lots of intelligent statements like "I'll bet it passes everything but a gas station" , I'd say go for it .
    It's your world and your reality.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  23. put early 400 heads on a 389 and it really improves performance/

24. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

If I did that then the 61-64 intakes I have would fit.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Dual quads look better than anything else on the market... If you like um .... run um.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  26. No when you add newer heads you have to use a matching intake. All Pontiacs from 55 on up are the same physical size. The heads will interchange. But the intakes and bellhousing are not. 55 thru 1960 pretty much the same. then 61 thru 64. then 65 thru67 389 and 421 interchange. the 400 heads will fit others with the correct intake manifold. Way back in 71 a friend had a 64 bonnieville. It developed a flat crankshaft. So we installed a remanufactured short block. and put later 400 heads and matching Q jet intake manifold. then used a adapter to put the Carter AFB carb on it. And it was a pretty stout running engine.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    jeffs64cat likes this.
  27. I had a few bonnievilles too. 421 , tri-power, 4 speed.
    I think you mean flat camshaft.
    AFB on a Q-jet manifold with adapter? OMG!

jeffs64cat likes this.
  28. Jimmy , Why don't you run the OEM Ford firetrap Holleys?

29. It was a flat crank. he bought the car from a shady used car lot. The crank had been patched sanded and filed on and .010 undersize bearings installed on just the one throw. Of course it very soon started knocking. We pulled the pan and miked the crank. It had a flat spot where someone took off too much metal.

30. Hah..I should have known. I did live in Ft. Smith for a year.