Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical It's 2017,does anyone still use a 6 volt system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 28, 2017.

1. I have two 6V cars and two cars I converted to 12V. Both cars I converted to 12V give me charging problems. Both 6V cars work well.

On my 53 Ford convertible (6V) I took it on a 800 mile round trip last fall and it quite charging half way there. No one had a 6V charger, nor could I find replacement parts...so I had to buy a new battery once the old one was about dead but it did make it no problem.

Nothing wrong with 6V if the system is in good shape.

I think some guys look at 6V the way they look at bias play tires/flatheads/early ford brakes. They may remember having a car equipped with that stuff, but maybe was just a wore out old car that drove horrible, over heated and would barley stop. So they think all that stuff is junk. But on a properly maintained car (or a fresh car)they still function fine.

burnzy37, ClarkH, Hitchhiker and 4 others like this.
  2. Something that no one thinks about, swapping to 12v became popular as soon as 12v cars came about. It was a lot like today, pulling an LT block to swap it for and LS. "real" hot rodders were always about being cutting edge. There were always the low buck guys that ran what was available, like me for instance changing a '53 ford to 12 v because I had everything and the '53 needed a battery or the guy with a 6V car that swapped the engine and left it 6v because he didn't have the stuff. But the guys that were making in happen were swapping to12V as soon as it started happening from the factory.

In '68 I changed a 12V '61 Chebby to an alternator for a guy. Not because there was anything wrong with his generator or because he needed lots of amps, but just because all the cool guys had alternators. I put his old stuff on the shelf. Someone needed it and didn't have the cash for new stuff and it moved on.

We were hot rodders not restorers. We were not building cars in the 30s we were building cars in the '50s and '60s and we used the best stuff that we could afford.

town sedan, Doctorterry, LeoH and 5 others like this.
  3. Your right Beano,I definitely ain't no restorer. HRP

Doctorterry likes this.
  4. My good friend Bob says it sounds like a rooster crowing! :D

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  5. uncle buck

uncle buck

Looks like you've been driving north and south of the equator

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Me either. All the time I was growing up and building hot rods we had to keep it quiet to the restorers or we couldn't get parts or advice, tips etc. from them. They treated hot rodders as the enemy. Sometimes this traditional thing feels the same way. I allways feel like I am somewhere in the middle.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Generators could never really handle being spooled up to 6 grand, could they? Alternators would be the hot setup as soon as they came on the scene , daddyo!

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

upload_2017-3-29_22-2-56.png Wow those are some really STICKY snow tires you're runnin' on that pickup!
    KK

Doctorterry and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I just wired my roadster for six volt had to use heavier gauge wire for the amps. In all honesty it probably cost me more to put it to six volt. Here's why I did it. The sound of that flatty turning slowly over then coming alive makes me feel like I am back in the forties. Plus it makes your butt pucker a little hopping it starts I say 6v on an old hot rod

V8-m, RichieC, Hotrodmyk and 2 others like this.
  10. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

However I will say I have gotten a lot of shot for running 6v from everyone lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me.

6v battery2_1.jpg
    Just bought a new battery, so I'm sorta locked in there for awhile. The clamp-0n battery terminals and cables are on the list to be replaced. No choke on it (yet!) either so there's a little more cranking involved with a cold start and it spins over just fine. Still, I wouldn't rule out a switch to 12-volt someday if I keep the car. Might need a place to plug in those traditional-style auto accessories like the cell phone, GPS, i-Pod..... :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Dang, beaner, I like you more ever time you comment. Voice of reason!

Ben

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. I doubt that was the main reason, but entered into the decision to switch. The big issue with a 6 volt system is it's four times as sensitive to voltage drop/poor connections as an equivalent 12 volt system. As an example, a 60W 12v headlight draws 5 amps. A 60W 6v lamps draws double, or 10 amps. Because voltage drop isn't affected by circuit voltage (you'll get the same drop in any circuit with a given resistance and amp load, whether it's 6v or 6000v), the lower the circuit voltage, the higher the drop percentage becomes. As an example, if you have a resistance present to produce a 1V drop in the 12V circuit above, that's a bit over 8%; enough to notice, but not catastrophic. That same resistance in the above 6V circuit will increase the drop to 2V (because the 6v lamp needs twice as much current) and now your voltage drop is 33%, which you will definitely notice. Most electrical items in the average car will operate satisfactorily if voltage is within +/- 10% of 'nominal' system voltage. Get drops bigger than that and you'll start having issues, so the decision to switch was based more on reliability (and fewer warranty issues) than any cost savings.

Add in the fact that a 30 amp 12v generator (that cost about to same to produce as a 30 amp 6v one) can supply twice the power (12v x 30 amps = 360 watts vs 6v x 30 amps = 180 watts) and the case for 12v becomes even more compelling.

Kan Kustom and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I love how the starter speeds up on my 1939 Dodge just before it starts. The first couple Eeerrs always seem to go so slow before it fires... I really dig it! But then I love the sound of the Chrysler 12v old starters too. The slant six engines always had a cool rhythm to them also. My newer car for work, no excitement whatsoever! But living in the sticks with $3 a gallon for gas, I really need 30 MPG to keep cash flow into my hobby.

To be honest, 6V or 12V, well I love DC and respect the applications equally. I understand and build both ways. I do not prefer one over the other. The biggest advantage of 12V systems is the availability of parts while traveling far from home. People really love it when I travel back and forth between Kansas and the Republic of California. Personally the hum of the engine and shifting gears are my favorite things to listen to while traveling. So I don't need a booming radio to enjoy the ride. In other words, 6V or 12V no preference for me....

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. rfraze

rfraze

Ted Kelly 001.jpg
    Customer Ted Kelly's 48 International. Best thing we did was to freshen up the starter. Since then, I had a 12v battery go bad (2 cells) leaving a consistent 8 volts. I use it for circuit testing around the shop, but wonder if it could work dependably in a 6v rig. Anybody done that?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Higher compression v8 gas engines in evolving in 1955 brought about 12v systems for adequate cranking.

Large engines, diesel and aviation use 28v as they garner multiple batteries. Electronics runs primarily on 5v, LED lighting is happy on 6v battery supply.

Certainly no reason to convert a flathead to 12v.

classiccarjack and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Jesse1952

Jesse1952

I've always converted my cars. I pull a trailer and camper with my cars, I like having a radio (at least in my vehicles that you could hear a radio over the exhaust and wind noise). I have found that repairs while traveling are easier when looking for 12v parts. Also headlights and other lights are brighter with the 12V. I don't care if my hot rods aren't hot rods 'cause they run 12v.
    20170319_164810.jpg

18. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Good looking car and the old Shasta looks nice also. HRP

Jesse1952 likes this.
  20. 6volts fine with me
    <<<<<<<< & 4 others Optima battery spins them over like 12v with its 800cca

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 37 Buick is still a 6-volt system. I did assemble and install a 6-volt Delcotron 10SI alternator on it though. You can convert a 10SI from 12 to 6 volts for less than $20, and if you're not worried about originality I'd recommend it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. What ever floats your boat,I prefer 12 volt and you can replace your battery in Bumfaulk, Egypt if need be,not so sure about a 6 volt. HRP

Kan Kustom and Montana1 like this.
  23. I was under the impression 6 volt s and generators went hand in hand. HRP

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the simplicity and reliability of the 10SI. I have one on my John Deere Model B as well, also still a 6 volt machine.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. VonGhoul

VonGhoul
    from SW Florida

I'm still running 6V in my 49 Desoto just the way it was made in Detroit, but cuz I'm gonna hot rod to with 5 speed NV3500 I reluctantly have to go to 12V. Shoot out with the old in with the new. So long fluid drive

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Wallaby

Wallaby

Electricity is a funny thing; to carry the same power with half the voltage, you need double the amperage. In our shop we find that the major problem comes from owners buying average battery cables from the local chain parts store. If you opt for their biggest cables, you might find a 4 gauge... but 6v systems need something bigger like 0 gauge. Welding cable works well, and big braided ground straps are nice. Can't over do it with ground straps.
    The good news is that converting to 12v is easy, as all the original wiring will then become bigger than required.
    I had to deal with a 6v positive ground system and I feel your pain... finding a radio or figuring out how to adapt one wasn't easy, and changing to 12v wasn't easy either if you want to keep the original gauges and such.
    6v seems to work fine if you can remember to use the giant battery cables and good grounds.

LeoH and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Run whatcha brung! I have a couple of gennies (a '32 5W and a '34 3W) with the original 6V systems and they work fine as fair weather flyers. There is a certain feeling of satisfaction, joy (and relief!) when a good running flat head comes to life on the first revolution of the 6V starter. I also have a '32 5W with a 12V system with the stock 6V starter and it spins over at warp speed, which is kind of fun if you've ever had a hard starting multiple carbed flathead. I grew up in the late 60's in frigid -20 below South Dakota trying to get my '51 Ford flathead started and it isn't to hard to imagine why 6V systems went the way of the dodo bird! Guys that have never lived in extreme cold weather don't know about tank heaters, dipstick heaters, and heat lamp bulbs either!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The alternator is gone now and I have a 12V generator for it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    town sedan, HOTRODPRIMER and Montana1 like this.
  28. cretin

cretin

The T I'm currently building will be 6v. Will be my first.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Jerry,As always your input on this subject is insightful and spot on,especially since you have cars with both 6 & 12 volt cars. HRP

30. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Don't know if its been brought up yet but I decided against 6 volt a year ago when I bought a restored 49 Ford that needed a battery. When I went to buy the battery they told me the price. It cost the same as all the 12 volt batteries I have been buying BUT the warranty was only one year when my 12 volt batteries have a 6 year warranty.

Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.