Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 edsel ranger build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmnm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

10 days ago, I bought this car. Thought this would be a good thread, as my work continues. I have a lot of work to do. But so far I already have the interior stripped and primed, and it running off it's own power. Ice got a long way to go! But I'm excited with the progress I have made.

When I first looked at it [​IMG]

First day home [​IMG]

Interior stripped and primed [​IMG]

Headlights work [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Yesterday I got it running and moving under it's own power! Looking for parts!;) post up some pictures of your edsels!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

That should be a fun project. I Love Edsel's.

Spooky likes this.
  4. philo426

philo426

Yes you have made a wise choice.Solid car that you were able to get running right away.Keeps you motivated and encouraged.Will you stay with the black or go with something else?

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I sure would like to have a front clip off of a 59 in the east Ok, east Tx, La or Ark area

6. squirrel

squirrel

Neat, how far are you from being able to drive it? Brakes? Gas tank? Transmission? How are the seats?

I did one last year, 59 ranger with the 292 and 3 speed manual trans. I got it driving reliable, and left the cosmetics alone. It was a fun car to drive. Not fun in a "comfortable" way, but fun in an "entertaining the observers" way.

If you put a lot of money into it, you'll never see the money again, but it will be a fun experience. If you don't put much money into it, you still won't see that money again, and it will still be a fun experience.

brEad, MMM1693, little red 50 and 3 others like this.
  7. bedwards

bedwards

Yours is like mine. Its been fun and a good experience. Like Squirrel said, no money in it though. It really gets a lot of attention at cruise ins because most people have never seen one. Very easy to get and keep running and uses Ford parts mostly except for a few body parts. Looks like you got the big 361 V8. What tranny do you have? Mine has the 2 speed which is no thriller but very reliable.
    Here is a link to several of my pics when I got mine. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s791.photobucket.com/user/wbedwards/embed/slideshow/59 Edsel"></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  8. "Black Edsels Matter"

I have the shirt.

Oldmics

9. Squablow

Squablow

I got my '59 to this point a few years ago but has not been finished yet, one more project on the list somewhere. I had to make the lower quarter panels, they are not available new. But it's a neat looking car and I'm into it fairly cheap I guess, lots of trading went into this one. Will be very mild custom, lowered with the '58 color keyed caps and Turnpike Cruiser mirrors on the fenders, custom colors, dual exhaust.

What's the plan for yours?

IMG_20140724_093706.jpg

10. bedwards

bedwards

You've got the original Edsel mirror too. They are rare

Spooky likes this.
  11. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I had a '59 Ranger back in the '90s and I have a '60 now and I had four others in between. Here's a pic of my '59 Ranger. If you get a chance could you please post a close-up pic of your data plate (by the driver's door hinges)? There's a guy in California who keeps a registry of them and he may not know about yours. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. Good luck....

PICT0002.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  12. Looks like you got a pretty good deal on her. Good luck with her and keep us update on your work. Thanks Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  13. A lot of '59 Ford parts work on the Edsel. I think Dennis Carpenter has an Edsel section in his printed catalog.

Hotrodmnm likes this.
  14. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG]

I have thought about doing mine red and white, I really wanted to do it turquoise and white. But the edsel look awesome red and white!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    loudbang and Lebowski like this.
  15. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

The tranny is the big 3 speed.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I have no brakes, the gas lines seem to be working, but haven't had much time to really look at them. The transmission is good, and shifts smooth. But I'm sure it needs a service. The seats are rough. I will be getting the re-upholstered, I'm thinking tuck and roll.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I love edsels. I'm a 15 year old girl. And I've always wanted an edsel. When I found this car, I did whatever I could to get it. I am thinking about turquoise and white. But I keep seeing red and white ones, and they look so good. I want to put skirts on it as well. So I just have to wait and see how things go!

18. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Okay guys, here's a question for you. My data play says "AA" for the color. Which translates to "black, black" But this car is black and white. And the white appears to have been on there for a long time. The car came from Idaho. Possible cop car? Any thoughts?

19. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Thanks for the pic of the data plate. I agree with you about the red and white. Also, in case you're interested, the U in the serial number means that your car was built right here in Louisville, Kentucky-same as mine and the 05-A means it was scheduled to be built on January 5, 1959... :)

IMG_0329.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Spooky, loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

Look for signs of holes in the roof or body for lights and antenna or holes in the dash for the two way radio.

The floors look amazingly good for a 50's car, nice score.

21. squirrel

squirrel

not likely to be a cop car....

Red/white would look good, so would turquoise/white. There are lots of nice original color combinations, and also some rather ugly ones (like mine was). And you can paint it whatever color(s) you want, it's your car.

Gas tanks on 59s are a problem...I figured out how to install a cheap, new chevelle tank in mine, but you might get lucky and yours is in good condition? Be sure to clean it out well, or at least inspect the inside.

The brakes usually just need the hydraulic parts rebuilt/replaced. Wheel cylinders and master cylinder, and the rubber hoses. If the steel lines are rusty, then you need to replace them, as well. And get the parking brake working, too, for safety.

22. I suspect that my '59 Ford was a cop car in a former life. It had an extra bulb under the dash on the passenger side, a lot of extra wiring under the dash too and under the hood. Some used light bars that clipped on the rain gutters. So no holes in the roof.

I got most of my brake parts at Rock Auto, but did convert the fronts to disc and used a dual master.

unclescooby, Hotrodmnm and loudbang like this.
  23. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  24. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Yes my gas tank works. But I will definitely clean it out good anyway. My emergency brake does work, but I do need to look further in to my brakes and see why they won't work. Thank you for the tips!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I have looked for holes in the doors, as well as on the rear fenders. I have found nothing. The roof looks like it might have had possible holes for lights, the doors look like they might have had decals on them at one point. I'm hoping to sand the dead paint off the car and paint it soon, so I will know for sure. The floor is in very nice shape. Just one little hole that will need to be patched and that's it!

spurgeonforge and loudbang like this.
  26. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Great to know, thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Here's some inspiration for you. I've had this one since just out of high school in the early 80's and just finished redoing it last summer. 825.JPG

guthriesmith, NHRANUT, Pufff and 8 others like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I know of one local Wisconsin police station that had a '58 Edsel as a squad car, and a green 2 door hardtop to boot! The station bought it really cheap as it was an unsold leftover at a local dealership. It was being restored when I saw it.

What year/model Chevelle was that? I have a '70 Cutlass tank that looked like it will fit in mine pretty easily but it's an old one that had been boiled out and sealed and I'd much rather just buy a new one to avoid issues. If a Chevelle tank fits better (maybe they're the same as the Cutlass?) I'll go that route. A new gas tank really saves a lot of headaches on an old car.

29. squirrel

squirrel

I used a 65 Chevelle tank in my 59. I had to cut the filler neck so I could extend it. Also the sender for it reads backwards from a Chevy, and I added a 10 ohm resistor in series (30 ohm sender) to make it read pretty close. F is E, E is F.

Squablow likes this.
  30. E is for Enough
    F is for Finished

midnightrider78 and brEad like this.