Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Body work help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skinny pedal, Mar 29, 2017.

1. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Hi guys, I'm looking for some wisdom of how to patch these center holes that someone drilled to put in an aftermarket radio. I'm looking to get the dash back to stock. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

3. Squablow

Squablow

Honestly I think I would just weld the drilled holes shut. A few tacks on each side and let them cool off, then a few more, ect until the holes are filled. Grind it down and you're done. Making little tiny patch panels seems like wasted effort and making them bigger to fit a bigger panel sounds like a hassle.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Patch panels are a hassle but it comes out nicer than building up weld blobs and grinding them down. More heat more distortion !

roadstar and Just Gary like this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If what we are seeing is a 50's Chevy truck, they make a great patch panel to 'fix' the radio fix.
    Brothers, LMC I also think

39cdan likes this.
  6. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Patch panel was my first thought but the holes are in the button surrounds so I'll have to try to match the button surround angles and don't really know how I'm gonna do that.

7. i'm not sure how much of that you want to fill, could you highlight the areas?

8. Just cut a circle to fit the hole tack it on the flat part and then from the back use a hammer and dollie to work the metal up into the same shape as the button surround and finish welding.

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Don't you want to use those holes ? They are the original ones. If not you're going to either flatten the area around the holes first. Hope that helps.

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Get a aftermarket radio with large knobs. No really, cut some plugs and TIG weld them. Another thing you can do, is to cut a plug and solder the plug in. I saw this done with filling holes from a roof rack on a roof. You have to make sure of the lead content of the solder.

11. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

[​IMG]
    It's these holes, I'm keeping the original holes for my retrosound Apache radio I bought for it.

12. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Yessir I saw those but I'm trying to keep everything as original as possible .

13. flatford39

flatford39

I have been successful in cutting out little circles on a band saw for holes in my firewall and then welding them in. I use a magnet to hold them in place for the fist few tacks. I like that better than trying to fill the hole with weld. It makes it easier to grind clean.

Baumi, Dino 64 and skinny pedal like this.
  14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I agree with welding in a patch and grinding down. A tiny smear of filler and paint it will look good. you could even use a washer or 2 for the patches. Use a piece of sheet copper behind the hole when welding helps bridge the gap and the weld will not stick to the copper.

pat59, Dino 64 and skinny pedal like this.
  15. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

What I wouldn't give for a plasma cutter

16. Not very useful for something like this. A pair of tin snips and a file or grinder would take 10 minutes to make a patch.

flatford39 likes this.
  17. If there's a steel shop close by with a punch, you could get them to punch a couple holes and take the slugs and weld them in . That's what I do.

flatford39, skinny pedal and Dino 64 like this.
  18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You can cut a square piece and round it with a grinder. 20 gauge, I'm guessing. Not much work really

skinny pedal likes this.
  19. metalman

metalman

Actually I do it the opposite. I take a square file and make round holes square then use a square patch when I fill holes. I usually find a strip (drop off of my shear) the right width, tack one side while just holding the strip, then cut the 4th side to size with a cut off wheel, hammer and dolly it in then weld it up. Really fast at patching holes that way, much quicker then trying to make a bunch of little round patch panels, especially if the holes are 1/2" or smaller.

20. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

I'm gonna do what Dino 64 says square patch and grind to fit. I'll post pics when done to get some feedback. Thanks gents .

21. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I use my Blair holcutters to make small round patches like those because the holcutter doesn't use a drill bit in the center just a small dimple to center and leaves a nice clean edge unlike regular hole saws.

carolinakid likes this.
  22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

That's a really good idea, thanks

skinny pedal likes this.
  23. flatford39

flatford39

You should think about getting a band saw too. I bought an ancient Craftsman that was set up for wood and about two jack shafts later I had it so it cuts 16 gauge like butter. You really need to slow the wood one down. I found all the jack shaft info here on the HAMB doing a search.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I fill holes like that by using a brass drift that I bought years ago in a garage sale. It is about inch and a half in diameter and a foot long. I hold it flush to the finished side and weld to the back side. The drift does several things;
    1. The brass wont take the weld so when you take it away it leaves a nice finish that takes one pass with a 2 inch wheel to prep.
    2. It gives you something to weld against so it easy to close the hole.
    3. It also dissipates a little heat (wear a glove)

I use this technique of floors, firewalls and anywhere else that idiots (like me) drill holes that they later realize are in the wrong place. :Do_O

25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Jack shafts ? Searched but came up with nothing. Please explain

26. Using pulleys on stand alone shafts to slow the speed of the bandsaw. band saw.JPG

bubba55 likes this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

28. Just been doing this on my '36 rear wheel arch.
    Roughed out a couple circles with tin snips (cut square then sliced the corners off at 45 degrees) then rounded them up with the linisher. Only took a couple minutes to get a nice fit.

bodyreararch3.jpg

bodyreararch4.jpg
    Might try the 'squaring up the hole' trick next time round tho'...

Bear:)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Stogy, Baumi and skinny pedal like this.
  29. Ghost28

Ghost28

usually clamp a flat piece of brass to the back side and slowly weld it up

30. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

My firewall had over 70 extra holes in it that needed filling. After making the patch, I either used a magnet on the backside, or an old gas shock mounted in EMT to hold the patch. The gas shock allowed for length adjustment depending on the location of the hole.