Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Was this when the time changed and you realized you were late for church and had to get there in a hurry?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

IMG_3215.jpg My buddy Normspeed's '53 Plymouth Momad with screw on Moons.

3. pontman

pontman

Derek is a dork! Moon disc are a simple yet cool wheel cover.

4. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Who's vette is that? It is wicked.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jim815 likes this.
  5. ♪Moon over my HAMBy♫
    Okay, it's late.... I'm tired and groggy.... I'm going to bed.

6. Still annoying though. ;-)

7. Arominus

Arominus

To each their own, all I ask is avoiding painting with a broad brush.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I was just a kid, about 1960, a high school boy down the street had a 49 Plymouth 2 door sedan, black, lowered, dechromed, with red wheels and moon discs. Always clean and polished and tuned up perfect. I thought it was a cool car then. Still do.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had Moon discs and skinny "Bigs and Littles " on my Hot Rod Datsun pickup in the 80's with a nice California rake and a louvered hood. I was the coolest kid in town.o_O

10. greaser1974

greaser1974
    from oxnard

u guys talking hip hop? lemme guess he like 24" rims on a g body dirty south style

Sent from my SM-J700T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-30_3-26-31.png upload_2017-3-30_3-26-56.png upload_2017-3-30_3-27-7.png
    (Lancer + Moon)photos: Hubcap Mike Fiesta photo by SuRfAcE_RuSt

Hello,

Before we decided on Moon Discs for the 1951 Olds Sedan, we tried the standard, cool, 4 prong, Dodge Lancer Flipper hubcaps, Baby Moons, and the old, 3 prong Oldsmobile Fiesta hubcaps. Our friends had one set of these hubcaps on each of their cars, so borrowing them just for looks was the order of the day. Besides, who could resist my mom's cooking for a free lunch spectacular?

Money was tight, so to finally purchase any set of hubcaps was important that we got it right with our first selection. This was before any cameras were around and we just had to remember which one stood out the most. A short cruise down the street was done by everyone joining in on the fun hubcap exchange day.

All hubcaps were exchanged and driven down the street, except for the Moon Discs. At the time, the only version was the screw mount type and not the hubcap style clip on model. So, we took them off a friend’s wheels and taped them on our car. Instantly, that was the choice. It looked race ready, fast and with the lowered Cal/Rake, Olds, a cool cruiser. The other hubcaps gave it a cool street look, but these Moon Discs just made it look like it was moving at a fast pace even when standing still.

That was the final choice.
    upload_2017-3-30_3-42-16.png upload_2017-3-30_3-42-29.png upload_2017-3-30_3-42-41.png

Jnaki

The one thing we learned about the Moon Discs: You can’t use sharp pointed screws to install them, even if some drag racers told us that those screws keep the tires from moving upon acceleration. They leak ! So tubes and flat tipped screws solved the problem.

Even after we sold the 51 Olds to a friend moving up from his mom’s Chevy, he kept the Moon Discs on for several more years.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think those on the vette are full moon style chrome caps and not spun disc, I could live with those a lot better than the spun ones on something that isnt a designated race car

13. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1016.JPG One of the coolest cars on the salt, and it isn't all looks either. Record holder in its class.

14. I like the Moon discs on most of the cars shown. Good look.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're a "thing" I (we?) simply accept and in certain styles even expect. They rule when used right, and like Torque Thrust natural spokes on a Cheetah, they almost belong on a proper Stude, yes?
    Hip-Hop, well isn't that one of those things that tries to legitimize it's illegit 1/2-brother rap? I was happy to see you refer to it as an art form. I'm 60 this year and have several CDs (no I DON'T have an MP-Sync-Pod gig). What's to like? Hey, you other old bastids like me ought to crank up "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas. I listened to the whole album after that 1st song and there's not 1 I don't like. Then again being a Motorstate lifer I had my fair share of many, still listen to our local boy Eminem. Art? See if you can hang even 10 words with "Rap God". Yeah, art. "Doh-Si-Doh" by the same, fun stuff. But then again I'm a Rat Pack fan too. I could see me cruisin the 39 with Sammy bangin out "Birth Of The Blues" or Frank's "Luck Be A Lady", then flop into "Monkey Buisness", maybe even sportin Moon discs on it. What mess that would be. A proud mess too.;) Fun stuff Ryan.

Sancho likes this.
  16. VinDust

VinDust

marioD, henryj1951 and Just Gary like this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like the Full Moon's, never had set but they set the "look" of a ride, very popular before mag wheels and inexpensive at the time. Ryan, now fire up a Baby Moon thread, I had those and have them on my Merc now, always and still do like them, back in 60's here in Wisconsin, very popular, red or black wheels with narrow white walls, (sometimes portawalls) best part, cheap,$6/8 for set of 4, pretty sure I got them from JC Whitney if memory serves.

jnaki and henryj1951 like this.
  18. CBurne7

CBurne7

I agree 100%. It all depends just like many other things ... hip hop included, it's a matter of taste.

I like some hip hop. I like moon disks on some cars.

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I always used to see them selling flowers on the street corners, but not anymore. Did the reverend pass on?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Tman likes this.
  20. I was at a shindig last weekend, lots of rods and customs around. Someone drove into the car park with a late model turdbox with moon disks on it. It was at about this point when I witnessed a couple of beer geysers coming out of the noses of 2 guys next to me who had also seen this atrocity, as they just broke up laughing. Please keep your eyes shut lest you waste your beer.

21. topher5150

topher5150

I swear officer I was just helping the sheep over the fence...

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's another '53 Plymouth wagon: Image 040.jpg

23. That Plymouth wagon is cool. HRP

24. While I don't think they're the ugliest wheel coverings, I do have to disagree with your stance more or less. Flipping through all of those pictures, the only ones that Moon discs really looked right on were the bellytanker, Thunderbird and streamliner.

I've never had any real love for them, despite their popularity. :eek:

25. If we were to take a poll............... I'd be firmly in the middle.
    What I like most about going to a car show or meet is the variety of individual expression. I want to see some Torq Thrusts, painted steelies, Wielands, big'n'littles/fat'n'skinnies and some moon disks. If 80% of the cars had Moons, that would be boring. But if nobody sported Moons I would miss them and the show would be lesser for their absence. There might be a pun in here somewhere but every banquet needs a mix of spices and salt.

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wrong. :)
    [​IMG]

27. But yet again IMO it looks worse with those covers than these. I understand their function, as a push truck, but for me they diminish the aesthetic appeal of the truck.
    Chuck porter.jpg

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But finances are the reality for most of us.

I have dozens of wheels, some of them brand new in their boxes. Some vintage and pricey. I seem to be always wrestling with which goes on what car. Diameter, bolt pattern, width and offset become the determining factor.

So, often I don't get the wheel I want on the car I am working on. I can't keep buying wheels for mock up.

What I am saying goes is that Moon discs are looking better every day.

Jim

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What great looking jail-bar Ford custom Kevin.

SicSpeed likes this.