Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thomas, are you saying you had a stroke this weekend?:eek:

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad to hear your made it out the other side, take it easy and know we are thinking about you

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

shake it easy... were here with ya...

5. Thomas I hope you are feeling better. You know we are all pulling for you on the H.A.M.B. HERE!!!!Bruce.

6-bangertim likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Made a note to your Facebook page. Like I said there, you have the power of the HAMB behind you. No explanations or apologies are needed. Get well, and get on with your life; I don't think you are really done yet. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thomas 'm not sure of your age, much less the severity of your stroke. But I'm going tobe 80 this year and so far so good:)
    A friend a few years younger had a stroke a few yearas ago but he has fully recovered from it and does all the repair and maintenance on his hot rods now. So just hang in there and don't try to push yourself too hard, but also don't quit trying to return to the man you were.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  8. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

thankee kindly fellas I'm lucky but it's gonna take a while -- :(

just swallowed about 5 gallons of humility after talkin w a friend who spent a MONTH in hospital and 2 YEARS recoverin from *his* stroke and had to learn to walk again ----- I was in hospital TWO days and here I am -- able to walk, talk, move around on my own --- so I'm doin all right -- just can't BE the highwayman anymore

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    6-bangertim and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thomas, you deserve a well-earned long rest. Sending prayers for you and your family, and wishing you all the best in and for the future. Your health comes first.

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Keep at what you can and heal up! Your good karma should help. Gary

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It takes time to recover from the effects of a stroke, if one actually DOES recover, no matter the severity of the stroke, or a CVA (Cerebro-Vascular Accident/not sure why it's called an "accident") as it's called by people in involved in the practice of medicine, and it's branches. There are two primary types of stroke; ischemic stroke, relating to narrowing of the vessels with an incidental clot or other occlusion/embolism that blocks the blow of blood to a part of the brain, or hemorrhagic stroke, caused by a bleeding/ruptured blood vessel that also causes blood flow to decrease/stop to a part of the brain. Without blood, the area of the brain fed by that blood supply "dies". There's also what are called TIA's, Transient Ischemic Attacks, caused by vascular spasm or other temporary decreases in vessel size/function that don't result in permanent brain damage; so called mini-strokes or warning strokes. Hemorrhagic stroke is the worst, and since it sounds like Thomas is't currently hospitalized, he most likely did't experience that. There's a LOT more to it, but that's a really short description of things. He got started reassembling the Mercury Wagon with the new engine; it would be nice if any of you Southern California HAMBERS could help out finishing that project for him. I'm a little too removed way up here in Washington State to be of any good, or I'd be ready, willing, and able. Irregardless, now's the time for Thomas to just sit back, relax, heal, and keep us posted as his health allows. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Hang in there, Thomas. My wife and I are praying for you....

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God bless you, Thomas. You are lucky to still be around, I lost a very good friend to a stroke just the beginning of this month, she was only 57, so you never know. Godspeed.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe some of the local Hamb members can get around to see Thomas and help him wrap up the new engine install and get the car completed and running for him.....
    It would be a shame to see this stall indefinitely now.

Hang in there Thomas, we got that new engine for you so that you can keep playing and helping people. Don't give up as long as you can still see sunshine. :cool:

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I gotta take about 5 GALLONS of humility pills here -- I spoke w a friend today who had a stroke some years back -- MUCH worse then mine --he owns Valley Transmission here in El Cajon and has been supportive of my "mission" for years -- *he* was in hospital for a MONTH! and needed 2 YEARS to recover, learning to walk all over again and every thing -- *I* was only IN for 2 days and walked out albeit w a pronounced limp -- and I can't hold small things w my left hand BUT -- I'm HOME and aLIVE and able to do most things for myself -- just can't BE the highwayman anymore [​IMG]:( don't have the reflexes nor strength to keep out out "harm's way" ---- that *may* change, but, right now, I have to look out for myself -- and just happy to be ABLE to do so -- thankee kindly fer yer good wishes fellow Hambers it's an honor to know you all --

17. roundvalley

roundvalley

I bet you will still ride Shotgun with someone.

MUNDSTER and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Thomas.Wishing you the best for a quick and complete recovery.Do the best that you can,but don`t OVERDO it.God bless ya sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

even though you may or may not return to your previous capacity as the highway man you will always remain the highway man.

On the road or not.

You still have tales to tell and a positive message of helping each other out to spread.

Keep your chin up

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    6-bangertim and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. Hotrodder3031

Hotrodder3031

Did you get one?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

23. Hotrodder3031

Hotrodder3031

Did you get the y block the thread was posting about you looking for a Y-Block!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

OH :confused: -- YES -- and I have it partially IN but ran into a problem lining up the tranny mount bolt holes -- gonna need some help in "shoving" the engin-tranny back to line em up - -I remember 15-20 years ago havin this same problem last time :mad: I accomplished it then w a lot of effort but, this time, I can't risk the strain, least not fer a whlie -- IMG_1980.JPG IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1984.JPG IMG_1985.JPG IMG_1987.JPG
    *this* is where she's at for now ----

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant --

[​IMG]
    Sowing the seeds of kindness on San Diego's highways
    "On the Road" checks back in with Tom Weller, who has helped thousands of drivers since someone helped him 40 years ago
    cbsnews.com

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

It's IN motor mounts lined up w the help of a neighbor aPUSHIN :cool: IMG_1999.JPG I tire easy these days -- hadta take a littl siesta - came back out and did some "attachin" -- got a LOT more to do before she comes aLIVE agin -- MAYbe by next week -- IMG_2000.JPG Sadie, the littl lady, wants to go for a walkie -- she has the run of the "ranch" now that she "beLIVES" she has a forEVER home :D IMG_1998.JPG Holdin her head HIGH now! w confidence in her eyes :)
    IMG_2001.JPG Harrassin our porch parrot Oscar, and bein harrassed right back BY him :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking good on all counts, and give Sadie a pet for me! Gary:)

28. toml24

toml24

For lack of better words, I had a "near stroke experience" about 10-years ago with slurred speech. I went to the ER for a bunch of test and went home with 8 different daily drugs. The drugs worked and the speech slowly returned to normal and I'm still on the drugs. I exercise about 9 hours total a week and could lose about 30 pounds to help the cause. I would not wish this experience on anyone.

29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

GLAD you made it back tom124 ! :cool:

I'm feelin downright LUCKY mine wasn't worse, and nope, I wouldn't wish it on anyone either:eek:

and, I'm happy that it looks like I'm comin back as well -- I had a midnight "experience" last night in which I saw my Shela young and vibrant agin - and "She" smiled at me! with that beautiful smile she had -- and disappeared! I woke up crying, standing beside our bed, w my wife massaging my neck and arms, and all my pain is GONE! I thought I'd died :eek: woke up agin this mornin after -- pain free and worked on the Merc and other things till I tired -- I do tire easily these days --

Attached Files:

30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just don't overdo anything, for any reason, anytime. The car is't going anywhere, you're not going anywhere, and unless California breaks off and sinks into the sea, it's not going anywhere either. Take the time to heal!!! Here I'm preaching to slow down; with all but my last two spinal surgeries (NINE now), I was back at work within 3 weeks. All it got me was permanent disability, and now I have too much time. You'll get there, when you get there.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.