Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. That is kind of where I landed on the Pusher. I had a set of ugly assed mullet wheels on the back but they were the correct width and diameter and stock wheels on the front also correct width and diameter. One of the fellas sent me a complete set of NOS Moon Discs in the boxes for 35 bucks shipped. They were later because they were the clip-ons but they filled the bill real nicely.

They are a genie racing cover like @RichFox has pointed out but that are just sex, who in their right mind can resist them.

HRP off topic but good for a laugh, I was looking for any pic of the Pusher. I could find even one from its for sale and trade ad here on the HAMB. You cannot imagine how many pics that come up at MOKAN in the staging lanes. No at rest pics and everyone must have tagged them either porknbeaner or pusher.LOL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. 296ardun

296ardun

I have loved them since they came out...not so much on customs, but drag, lakes, hot rods...I'm with Rich Fox on this.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hip hop music, also called hip-hop or rap music, is a music genre developed in the United States by inner-city African Americans in the 1970s which consists of a stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rapping, a rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted.
    Now the twerking that goes along with it doesnt suck.

With the list of cars posted Id say this one doesnt get it for me.
    Seeing a sports car with moon discs? Not so much.
    Moon discs dont suck.
    [​IMG]

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

There was a period of time (late 50's) when "racing discs" as we called them, were the hot set-up. We all ran them because we thought they were cool. And this was AFTER we all were running Olds Fiestas. Here's a pic of my mom, wondering what I was doing now to my ol' Fleetline, in the driveway of our house in Barstow, CA.

b. \'49 in progress.jpg

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think something that comes into play, that is shown a little bit in the photos in the thread and original post, is the variety of shape.

I've seen "moons" that are flat, slight crown, lots of crown, a sharp peak in the center and lots of different round crowns.

Everything from a flat sheet screwed to a wheel to what looks like a salad bowl stuck on a pt cruiser are all referred to as "moons"

Some of them are terrible, some of them look perfect.

But over all I agree, they have to suit the build.
    No different than people running 18" wire wheels. They look right on some and terrible on others

6. The Moon company (or Moon I am not up on the history maybe someone will chime in) made several iterations of them. I have seen them chrome and peaked that had Moon stamped on the inside of them and I have seen them slightly domed and spun aluminum like mine. To race them most sanctioning bodies required the screw ons. I have heard people say that if they are clamp ons that they are not moon but they came both ways.

I would like to own a set of the screw ons, originals if they were not beat all to hell. I would not give a second thought to drilling my wheels and using them to change things up from time to time.

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_0093.JPG I even had them on my kart new old stock from 1962

swade41, 1940Willys, neverdun and 7 others like this.
  8. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

I never used to like them but last year I was stricken with Salt Fever and now I love them. With a lot of white back ground of course

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. only my opinion. right car they are cool. image.jpeg yes CHRISMAN-BROS-COUPE-1.jpg yes Modern5.jpg yes
    1963.jpg
    yawn
    1963or1964atMattos.jpg
    no
    laststudeside5.jpg
    double no

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Three 16406560_1236050269809033_5632829443318848558_n.jpg CM tank 2.jpg forsle3.jpg more pictures of Moons being properly used. No white walls in sight.

11. Ha !

Houston, near Airport/Belfort Ave-ish. Car wash stall after midnight. Dead battery, off topic lifted CJ7, two days after 9/11 ... when the towers fell.

You said " hip hop and Moon discs".

Yep, 30 minutes after midnight, I got a jump start from Houston Texas' Bushwick Bill, from the 5th Ward's Geto Boys. All less than 4 foot of him.

What was he driving ? A low rider Coupe' De'Ville, purple flake, with Moon Discs.

Hope that helps your argument with Derek. I of course, may be HAMB guillotined for this contribution. I'll be wayyyyy' over there if you need me.

^^^^true story/can't make this up. Had my first sip of O.E. & Mickey Big Mouth too. Brushed my teeth for an hour after. Pour some on the block for the HAMB homies.

Louie, Tman and Sancho like this.
  12. I have personally witnessed Ryan perform his take of some Digital Underground from the head of the table prior to Sunday breakfast at iHop.

stealthcruiser and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. [​IMG]

Ted,this is another good example of 2 guys that view Moon Disc entirely different...I think this is a perfect car for moon disc.

Matter of fact my old pal Rene's older brother drove a black stude very much like this in the 60's and his was also running moon's. HRP

Donut Dave, Flipper, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  14. HRS

HRS

IMHO - its simple. They work on race cars, salt or strip - but don't on street cars.

deucemac likes this.
  15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Is it ok if one of my truck-n-trailers has em...? moons.jpg moons2.jpg Is it ok if one of my truck-n-trailers has em...?

16. How about the kustoms that wore with them with paint accents?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hugh m, kidcampbell71 and henryj1951 like this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

This is my Bonneville look, even though I've never been there!:(
    208.JPG

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I completely agree that they have to be "in their element" so to speak.
    In the early 80's I had a set on a vehicle that is soooo OT here that not only will I not show a photo I can't even utter the name here. But I thought I had it going on.
    Even bought them from a local that claimed he was Dean Moons' cousin.
    The ones that reeely turn my gut are the cheapy Pep Boys knock off ones you see.:eek:

19. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And heavy plow disc's----> plow disc.jpg

Speed Gems and Sancho like this.
  20. I am a fan of Moon discs-although maybe not a 'catch-all' wheel cover-when they're right-they're right!
    They look especially nice with a wide whitewall and a red rim peeking out around the edge.
    Hell-They even look good on some lowered late models-(as depicted on the Moon website.)

21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hip-Hop = No intelligence or lack of brain matter. Bumps and computerized bass notes and "uh" blurted into a noisy rhythm is not music. It gives me a headache instantly.... Ugh

And most of the words are demoralizing. I hate functions with my kids now. This crap is all that is allowed at school functions, weddings, and such. Country, Rock and Roll, Alternative, Classical, Motown and Metal are somehow labeled as inappropriate.... WTH? Just saying...

Sorry, I needed to vent. Please forgive me for saying it the way it is, and being an old coot!

I personally feel that moons are definitely cool if used in a appropriate application. But they look horrible if the vehicle isn't resembling something related to speed.

Please continue... I will shut up now... LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. sololobo

sololobo

they put that competition look on for sure, I remember my first set were screw on and the next with clips, hardest caps to work with without denting them. Really like them best on real race cars.

23. Rusty,
    Missed your post altogether man. Sorry 'bout that.

I think that the originals were made exactly for slipstreaming. While I was not there I'll just about bet that one of everything was used to smooth a wheel out so that it caught less air. I had heard about the lacquers but never knew what they were.

I think that what happened was that *Mr. Moon saw a chance to kill two birds with one stone help out a racer and make a couple of bucks as well. I also believe that later in the game he saw a chance to market pieces to the custom and hotrod crowd and that was when he made clamp-ons. So what started out as a go fast goody became an aesthetic piece.

*was Moon actually his last name or ???

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yes there really was a Dean Moon and he was a racer. Made the first Moon discs for his hot rod spun aluminum fuel tanks (Moon tanks) and also fuel distribution blocks. Started in a shed behind his folks' diner in the oil fields around Norwalk.

25. Moon was his actual last name.

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I not only know about the lacquers I have one. It has 6 Benrus watch commercials on it "It's Benrus Watch Time BING BONG" lol.

28. LOL cool.

No offense to anyone it just always seemed like an odd name to me. I knew he raced and just always figured that is was a name he took, like Von Dutch or Tommy the Greek.

29. CLM

CLM

henryj1951 likes this.
  30. Yeah screw you 2 Derek. Who's Derek

Flatblack 31 likes this.