Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Charlotte Spring Autofair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tacson, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Tacson

Tacson

Hey Gang,

Going to be going to my first SPRING Autofair. I have been to the Fall several times. I havent been to the fall since 09'. So Where is a good place to hunt out close spectator parking? I plan to be there Thursday and Friday and head home Saturday morning. Probably hit up Dennis Carpenter looking for NOS or Scratch and Dent F100 stuff. Hunting a stock heater core right now for my 55'.

2. I always go to the back gate,your still going to have to do some walking. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Parking in the rear is the best, if you park across from the track out front it is a hike, especially if you plan on carrying out parts. Parking across from the Green field in the rear is a good spot. Here is a link for a map of the event. Plus the Hornets nest ( event sponsor ) will haul parts to the gate. http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/all-fields-rotate-final.pdf

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    dan31 likes this.
  4. dan31

dan31

^^^^ Ta Dad ,Thanks for posting that. May save me some time and walking.

5. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

10-4,
    Plus the Green field has gotten bigger due to them closing spaces inside from adding new track layouts.

6. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

I've been to the track a couple of times,First time to tha Auto Fair,Will be there Thursday thru Sat,Looking forward to it,Lucky

7. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Dennis Carpenter is display only at the speedway - need to go to the shop. Typically stays open a little later during Auto Fair. I'll be in the Blue Field (Spaces 104-105) with odds & ends.

8. looking forward to it will be their Saturday, need to bring a wagon or cart even little parts get heavy after a while.

jim snow likes this.
  9. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I'll be hanging out with my buddy Cliff in the Orange Field. XXO-20-21. Big motor home up against the track by the tunnel. Neither of us are bringing much this year so we'll be doing a lot of walking the swap. Looking for a '35 - '36 closed car glove box door if you see one.

Lee

10. Tacson

Tacson

Thanks Guys for the information. I did see on the website about the Green field parking. Here goes my famous last words "Im not looking for anything". I just want to take in the experience. But as sure as I say that a guy will be there with a 56 F100 solid bodied, mechanically sound "driver" pickup and I will be looking for a U-Haul dealer with a car trailer :). For the guys who provided their locations I will try to stop by. I plan to be there when the gates open on Thursday morning. Some other wise advice I have gotten is bring another pair of good walking shoes to change into. I might have to suck it up and buy water at the truck so as to minimize my backpack load.

11. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

The Green field has a lot of late comers, guys who can't get there before Friday or some even Saturday morning. But in my experience there are some bargains in the outside fields. I wouldn't haul water in there will be vendors with coolers of water for a donation or whatever, as it is against the rules to sell water. The track gets $4.00 for a bottle.

12. Tacson

Tacson

Thanks for info about water

13. Parking is $10 ANYWHERE on the speedway premises! If you're coming in on Bruton Smith Blvd., when you get to the light at the track be in the far left lane and take a left. When you get past Turn 4, there will be a turnoff to the right...take it. Just past the turnoff is where you'll have to pay. Run up the hill about 1/4 mile, then start looking for a good spot on the left in the grass. On the map in the link above, G8 is actually a pretty good spot!!!!

Obviously the later you get there, the further you have to walk, so plan on sunup!!!

Once parked, walk towards what looks like a HUGE billboard on the back stretch (its actually a mega-jumbotron screen!!!)...that's where pedestrian entry is.

14. Tacson

Tacson

Weather forecast is showing rain on Thursday. Im still excited nonetheless.

15. Tacson

Tacson

If any of you guys know anyone with an extra vendor pass or spot they would let a guy leave a small cooler and maybe a folding chair let me know. I would pay for the space.

16. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Getting close

17. What day are you going Tacson?

18. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

If you park out back and come in the green field entrance there will be the HORNETS NEST tent on your left after you enter the fenced area, you can buy a space there and get 2 passes with it for all 4 days and a sticker for your car and park it on your space. There are a lot of people do that. And even set a few things out to sell when your back at your car.

19. Where are you guys headed first???

I always (at least when I'm not selling) seem to go INSIDE the track my first day. I think I might try shopping the green and/or red field OUTSIDE the track first, then head inside. Seems that inside has all the same stuff year after year, and I seldom get to see the green field before everyone packs up Saturday afternoon.....

20. Tacson

Tacson

I will be there Thursday thru Saturday.

21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

It's a bit soggy inside the track today but looks like the weather breaks in the morning followed by a perfect weekend. IMG_3217.JPG

Lee

brett4christ likes this.
  22. I've been watching!! Supposed to hit here after midnight!

Head down, ears up!! See you Friday!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Tacson

Tacson

Just got here to my room. Tired as all get out. Going to crash and hopefully get to the track by noon

24. Helo-tech

Helo-tech

we got in Wed's about 11, will be here till Sunday.

this is our 4th year coming and the spring event is always huge, we started getting a spot in the green field years ago, by the time you pay entry for 2 and parking for 4 days, it's cheaper and you're guaranteed to park in the same place, works great if you're buying parts, just plan your route accordingly

25. @Grandadeo Keep an eye out for a '41-'46 Chevy truck drivers door in good condition, and a pair of over-the-door roof panels for a '30-'31 Tudor.

26. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Will do Buddy. We walked the blue field this morning before I saw this. A lower key version of the Saturday night shindig is back on!!!

Lee

27. Yep, saw that and have been in touch with the dudes!!

How are you holding up with this wind?!?! Tell John hey, and if you haven't yet, ask him about his VA HAMB Special!!! The dude's got it going on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Brett are you spending the night or was today it? I'm setting the world on fire. Sold $20 worth and spent $75.

Lee