Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 51 Mercury project or how to ruin a perfectly good car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the man, Jan 7, 2017.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So next. Finished up the roof. Chopped the wind wings. Modified all garnish moldings. And making the stainless fit a 2 door. I will probably make new ones from scratch at some point. Not real happy with them. Now we are up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Squablow

Squablow

How are you bending those stainless window moldings? I know you said you weren't real happy with them but I'm wondering how to do it. I've collected a shitpile of them for my '51 but I'm not real sure what the best way to reshape them would be. If I chop the car I have to know how I'll deal with those before I start cutting.

Also, how did you do your vent wings? Did you heat and re-bend, or cut and weld?

Would love to hear more tech details there, even if I'm just learning what doesn't work. The car looks really good.

3. The vent wings were fairly easy. First you need to disassemble them. The make a buck for shape you want. Heat them up to a dull red where the bend needs to start. Then start bending. The just chase the heat up the as you bend it. Trim and re polish. The stainless trim. Cut little reliefs on the back. Heat and ben. Welding sucks. I had to make a copper tube to go inside so I could control it. Super thin.

If anyone has a extra passenger wind wing upper pivot I need one. [​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Spoggie like this.
  4. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I came across this wonderful work a few months ago. I was secretly wishing it would go away. Now it's time to address it. Little rust little brass A Lot of bondo. it's all there. I debated on whether or not to buy new quarter panels when I started this. I decided against it as there were kind of pricey. I feel like it would've been smart. I came across this little gem today on A back road. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Admire your skills looking good !

6. [​IMG]
    This should work better. I need to get it up on the lift to finish. Trying to do it laying on the garage floor sucks.

7. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This week is all about the drivers door. Made a door panel. Worked on some upholstery. Stripped it down and reworking it just a bit. Just wasn't happy with the lower edge. Hope to have it all done soon.

drdave, Spoggie and Squablow like this.
  8. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/mobile-gallery/ just a bunch of busy work lately. Fit tho body %90 done and in one color. So now it's driving again. I will work on a lot of the small stuff over the next few months. Hope to paint it in the fall. Still need to build a grill pan for my desoto teeth.
    I'm looking for stainless if anyone has any pm me. Also need a original desoto grill pan to use as a buck to make one. If someone has one I can borrow.

f6bdaffac95f3e40b760c7566de32150.jpg[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BigRRR, drdave, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two door conversion was very well done, along with one of the best Merc top chops I've seen.

the man likes this.
  10. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Amazing work...you are building your wife my dream car......

the man likes this.
  12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a sweet ride and a kool post. It's only metal and you're not afraid.

Kustomkid and the man like this.
  13. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

Nice! This is what I love about the HAMB, most would never understand the hours, work, and conviction to take what is apparently good, and make it truly great. Fantastic job!!!

59Fins and the man like this.
  14. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Very nice! You nailed the profile on that chop! I also like the skirtless look, can't wait to see what comes next, any thoughts to what color you'll spray it yet?

zzford and the man like this.
  15. [​IMG]
    I think I got more time in this one molding than my whole chop. Also at least I got my door panels done

Spoggie and Squablow like this.
  16. Spoggie likes this.
  17. Blue on the lighter side. Hopefully this fall.

18. Thanks. As they there is more than one way to skin a cat. I didn't want it to look too chopped. So its just 3-1/4 in front and 4 in the rear. And moved the window forward 8 inches.

zzford and Squablow like this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Mad skills and a great eye for design and flow. Great job! Thanks for sharing. Fun following along.

20. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

It's cool that you had a 2-door parts car for the conversion. My first merc was a 4-door that I converted to a 2-door and it never looked quite right. Your car is looking awesome!

21. Wow- you really ruined it. Cool.:):cool:;)

22. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job, good luck with the rest of it.

23. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yup. I have to chime in and say WOW. Nice car after all of that. But i just cant go with what you said that its your wifes car. :)

24. popawolf

popawolf

25. popawolf

popawolf

man you killed it great job on that merc. and yes skirts are for girls...

26. So finally got my garnish moldings ready for primer. The back ones I'm still figuring out. I don't have the original frames so I just glued in some glass. What have the rest of you done. I'm also starting to work on the grill. I need a pan. So I think I will just make a buck and pound one out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. You make it all look so easy. 8 years into mine and it seems like I'm just trudging along. LOL

Kustomkid and Squablow like this.
  28. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

killer man you nailed it.!!

lowcoe likes this.