Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '57 Chev seat

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead A-V8, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hi,
    my '57 Chev came without a seat. I tried a few different buckets I had but none I really liked. The wife weighed in and says she wants a bench seat so we can cuddle up while cruising ;) but I've had a hell of a time locating a '57 split bench seat here in the pacific northwest they seem to be hard to find and going for prices that are too rich for me, or I just miss buying it :mad:....does anyone know if the '58 chev and canadian Pontiac seats are the same? or any other makes that could broaden my search field?
    - thanks!

2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I don't care if theyre different in some ways (like the '55-6 seats are) as long as they fit. I had heard there is a 70's seat that bolts in but I can't find the info anywhere
    yes I've looked on that "other site" but I find it virtually useless for tech stuff when it comes to using parts from other years etc. they get as creative as pulling out their wallets

Hudson31 likes this.
  3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Portland swap is coming up. I know for sure 55-57 will fit. 58 is a one year only mf. I don't know if the seat or tracks in my moms 58 impala were right but holy crap.

Hudson31 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

60's Gm buckets look good. I used 65 Lemans buckets in my last 57 project simple brackets to make fit. Looks 60's era correct. Corvairs sacrificed their seats to many tri-five Chevies.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

WEll now that you mentioned it . I am in the same fix as you ,only I do not have any money but I do have a four door seat . I think I can make the whole backrest tilt forward to allow access to the back seat .I will probably leave the backrest one piece if that will work . Here in the Midwest anyway ,four door seats are not valuable.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

ANY Tri-Five Chevrolet seat is going to cost you $$$. That's just the way it is. I happen to have a front bench seat that came out of a 52K original mileage 1963 Chevrolet Biscayne 4 door sedan. Being a 4 door seat, it does't have a split back, nor does it tilt forward. But, it's free if you're interested, and it's the "houndstooth" pattern. I'm also going to send you a PM with some information of a friend of mine who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts; he probably will be able to help you. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Nailhead A-V8 and chevy57dude like this.
  8. long island vic

long island vic

Most 4 door seats have a bar on the side to keep them from tilting., feel the bottom outsides cut ...the bar and your in

9. Butch, you're a stand up guy.
    To the OP - I've seen GM ''A'' body bench seats in these cars.

10. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Whenever I need a seat for a project (im an auto upholsterer) and The customer wants to use something other than an original seat . I'll hit up A swap meet or wrecking yard with a measuring tape.

I'm sure you find something close and then it's case of gabbing some new mounts or brackets

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Don't put a 4 Dr. seat in it. You will always regret it after it's done, essentially you can't use the back seat for anything and even though you say "I never use the back seat" you will find out that you use it more than you thought. Like garth said get a tape measure and go hunting, the seat tracks can always be adapted to fit. I know I've gone through this.

Pat

12. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I've got 64 cutlass bucket seats in my 57. I needed to make a set frame to mount it but they look great

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. belair

belair

I would give the 58 a try. Worst case is you find a gut with a 58 hardtop who buys it from you. Odds are very good that 57 Pontiac is the same as the Chevy, but they are few and far between. 55&56 uppers are thinner than 57. Maybe you could work around that, or not use original type seat covers. Otherwise, they will work.

14. Look at a 53-4 Tudor sedan.

15. belair

belair

lot more of those around^^^^^

16. I just measured the seat in my '58 Impala. Center to center on the brackets is just a hair under 49". The seat is 57" wide.

IMG_3314.JPG

Hope that helps.

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Try mid 60's Chevelle/Malibu 2 dr. bench.

18. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

19. That may be a truck seat, but definitely not a '57 passenger car front seat.

Edit.... just saw the ashtray on the back, obviously not a truck seat. Someone will definitely be able to identify the ashtray.

20. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

21. Wow. I didn't realize there was an ash tray in 57/58, but I guess it makes sense for a 4 door.
    I would have thought a '57 (regardless of trim option) would have had the trim panels around the seat bottom, but I guess they could just not be there. I'm tapping out. lol

22. Hey kids, anyone in the northeast US want a free '57 4 door seat, shoot me a PM. It's crappy but a core. Nailhead, wish you were closer, you could chop it to your heart's content.

23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Perhaps a 57 Pontiac might fit?

24. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I do have a access to a $40. 4 dr. bench seat bare frame/springs that I thought of modifying the same way like a truck seat. I also ran across a pair of rusty seat backs that I thought I could modify and use the fordor bottom but I lost the guys number and address after he pulled the ad lol:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot Butch! your the man... I really appreciate all your help and good suggestions to my tech questions. I put a call in to your friend and anxiously await his call but if not I might take you up on the bench seat offer! -Thanks again

Thanks! that is remarkably close to the length of the '57 4 dr. seat I measured so I think the winner is the '58 as being closest in size and over all look and yes presumably that applies to (canadian)Pontiacs as well
    Yes I've been worried about that very issue...I wonder how close an '80's Mailbu would be?

Yes I have that on my search list I went and measured a '52 Cadillac split bench it was 5'4" long! too bad it was electric, fully adjustable:rolleyes: and even had upholstery ...$50.!
    Both added to the list thanks

25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Really Butch you've been a big help good to have someone nearby with the knowledge and experience....the early A body? the '57 chev is actually an A body later they kinda stretched out (after '67) then went went back down in '78-81

Looking at the pic and measurements that Al T sent looks like the '58 seat is near identical with the thinner tops, the 55-6 seem to be more squarish and the '53-4 thick and square

26. Squablow

Squablow

I have a correct '57 split bench seat but I don't want to sell it unless I get the going price. They're super hard to find. My '57 currently has a '64 Dart split bench in it, it's a little narrow for the '57 but it looks right.

I had another '57 with a '56 Olds front seat in it and while the seat backs had a different design, the tracks bolted right up. 55-57 Pontiac seats also have a different design and the tracks are different but the overall seat width is correct for the Chevy (had one of those seats, too).

I took apart a '57 4 door seat to see if I could add 2 door seat backs to the base but they're quite a bit different, I think making it tilt forward would be a lot harder than most are thinking it would be. I'm sure it could be done but it'll only tilt forward like a foot until it hits the steering wheel and be a ton of work, a split bench out of a different car of the period would be a lot easier.

belair and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  27. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Look into a early mod 60s Cadillac they have ash tray on back. Or 70-80s Caprice 2 door may work. Alot of options unless u want original that is $$ and to avoid that is tape measure and wrecking yard and patients.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks i'll add those to the list and your right it could be done but more work than it's worth....especially now that there are a good handful of options

This seat posted in an area too far for me to travel to went for around $800 cdn last week:mad::( 00R0R_lBKRtkLPUFC_1200x900.jpg

jeffd1988 likes this.
  29. Squablow

Squablow

^^Damn, that was a bargain! Looks to have been in mint shape too!

30. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I know! I didn't see the posting til after it sold and besides it was a 2-3 day trip away but still...arrrgh:mad: