Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. I just remembered another term... because I just automatically used it in another thread.
    In my good old, bad old days when we were building a vehicle with everything on it and in it, we said we were "going full boat with it".

Montana1 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When in doubt, always use the manual!

OahuEli likes this.
  3. "Gook Wagon"
    From back in the day. Not used anymore, of that I am aware.

Cosmo

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Mash the gas, clutch or brakes.
    Bleeding brakes.......
    " Mash the brake and hold it. Now, let it off."
    Timing, finding #1......
    " Turn the key like you are cranking it but let off. Now, Bump it, bump it, bump it Stop!"
    Built.
    That engine is Built right or....She is built like a little brick shithouse.
    Lay or Laid.....
    We laid rubber. Sometimes laid out some rubber or lets go lay out some rubber.
    Let the blade down!
    Lay the ears back!
    Running it hot....You were running too hot around that curve.
    Two wheels.....
    You took the curve so fast you were on two wheels.
    A manual transmission is a "straight shift".
    Pop...
    Popped the clutch for release.....
    Popped the hood....interior hood release.
    Popped a tire when it hit a coke bottle.
    Those tires you have are "may pops".
    Locked up....
    The engine got hot and locked up.
    My shift linkage locked up at the Red Light.
    He drove too fast and now he is locked up.

OahuEli and The Shift Wizard like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

32 years, 8 company trucks, 8 of my own, one clutch linkage failure, one clutch failure. Drove both with loaded trailers without using the clutch. Cut it off at red lights, hit the starter in 1st gear, keep on going. Had to roll through a couple of stop signs and red lights without coming to a complete stop, but got the load delivered and truck and trailer safely to a shop.

mkebaird, Blues4U and s55mercury66 like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Dropping the clutch could mean three different things back home in SE Ohio...popping the clutch, removing it for repair/replacement/inspection, or breaking it in any manner. Dropping an automatic transmission could mean breaking it, maybe by dropping it into gear, or removing it. If you dropped a manual though, that would mean removing it only, perhaps because you broke it. Dropping a rear end meant the same as a manual transmission. And of course, you could always just drop any of these things on your foot.

loudbang likes this.
  7. This was an early 60's California thing......
    Painting or lettering the abbreviation "AMF" somewhere on the back of the car.
    I'll fill in the first word for you, you fill in the rest...... "Adios _______ _______".

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Wizzard.Remember that one well.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  9. I saw a shop rag and a pack of camels go through the intake on one when the rack was stuck. I told that guy never have anything in his pockets. It was a shame to loose a perfectly good deck of butts over the deal. The apprentice stayed on, the boss said if he saw the carnage and got dirty enough he would learn a good lesson.

Now I am getting into deep water here, I saved the case but had to replace the *screws.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know where the term 86ed came from, I heard it used a lot in the hotel industry when I was wandering around and it usually was used to describe food that could not be served for whatever reason and the cook who no longer had a job. LOL

*Just for technical sake screw is the wrong terminology. I don't think that they are called a screw even if they have a twist in 'em. That is actually compressor terminology, and its not correct then either, just common terminology and understood.

Haulin' the mail, haulin' ass. In the Ozarks when I was there it was cutting a fat hawg in the ass.

You fellas from shine country should recognize this one. Hunkered down on the springs, or overloaded. I have been known to say that for one that was squatted too much in the ass end, because it needs more spring.

Down in the snout. pretty self explanatory, Don't know where I learned it or if I made it up ( sorry there is a lot of crap stuffed into my 6 7/8 hat), basically California rake, I like them down in the snout.

oldsjoe likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

When a beater wins a race or the shade tree actually finds the right combo by accident.
    " A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
    When stupid money is spent...........
    " He's just blowing money up a wild hog's ass."

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

In the wintertime when the roads were snowy and icy when we was kids latching on to the rear bumper to take a ride (usually with the driver unawares) that was called "hooky-bobbin'"; there are different names for the same thing around the country.

porknbeaner likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Starter (Ford type) solenoid. Some insist calling it a relay, which I suppose technically is correct. Or maybe it's the other way around.

13. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

In the north east we called it "skitchen"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 likes this.
  14. In So Cal we said Fire it Up - still do Also Light it up.

Dad had a few of these laying around when I was a youngster in the early 60's. He said the Hoodlums call em Brodie knobs but we call em Necker Knobs - I asked why, he said you'll know when you are a little older

In the mid sixties as a kid, we thought "Peel Out" sounded dated, something our dad would have said

A popular origin story holds that in outdoor ice hockey before Zamboni's, the losing team would have to hose down the rink after a game to make the ice smooth again. Thus the term hoser was synonymous with loser. Other than that, ask Bob & Doug McKenzie, ya Hose Head

The most widely accepted theory of the term's origin states it derives from a code supposedly used in some restaurants in the 1930s, wherein 86 was a short form among restaurant workers for 'We're all out of it.' Snippets of said code were published in newsman Walter Winchell's column in 1933, where it was presented as part of a "glossary of soda-fountain lingo

Yep we said "That fukcer runs like a Raped Ape"

We said Haulin the Mail

You mixed that up, Maxwell Smart was agent 86, the luscious Barbra Feldon was agent 99. And it was a play on being 86'd (which was around for at least 30 years before that show)that they named Max's character agent 86

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  15. The trivia is strong in you, Luke.
    I bow to your higher mastery of things TV.

loudbang and hotroddon like this.
  16. My wife says I am really good at useless trivia! ;)

loudbang likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barbara Feldon not Feldman....she was hot right up there with Diana Rigg, Emma Peel of the Avengers....

How about a 502.. Cali guys should know this on...

loudbang likes this.
  18. It one, not on ( :) )
    And we're not talking about some Chevy motor - once they changed the code, 23152 just doesn't have the same ring. So DUI became more popular.

loudbang likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife reminded me of my other TV loves. Markie Post on Night Court and last but not least my all time, Dawn Wells of Gilligans Island. Everyone loved Mary Ann....

hotroddon, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  20. Oh Yeah, Markie Post was Smokin Hot, and I'm in the MaryAnn over Ginger crowd ;)

loudbang likes this.
  21. I went to my first 3 years of high school in Forest Grove Oregon and that was what we called it then. I still remember a particularly good snow storm that the road heading out off town toward Banks was snow packed and we were snagging rides on cars tat slowed down enough. My gloves were wet and stuck to the bumper, I lost a good pair of gloves that day. LOL

Torque converters, LOL Tim and I were talking about torque converters last night. and it reminded me of this, "hey man you got a Stahl converter in that thang?" "Naw mines a TCI, Stahl makes headers." :rolleyes:

All converters stall, properly have a stall speed and it is dependent on the specs of the converter coupled with the weight of the car and the torque produced by the engine (and I am sure other factors as well). Altered stall speed is probably the proper terminology but I prefer loose or tight. Tight being low RPM stall speed and loose being higher stall speeds.

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  22. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Count me in for Maryann which brings up a the term GINGER which is a slang term for red head. Sorry if that offends some one but does that come from Ginger on Gillian's Island as she was a red head ?
    The other is "sand bag" witch is used in many applications and I've heard it used all over the country. Anyone know how it started ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  23. I guess it must, as Ginger is not red and the traditional term for a red head is carrot top. ;)

Unless you are in Mexico, where the traditional term for red head is *cerrillo,which translates to match, hot head or read head. :)

*Cerrillo in Castillano is coal but in American Spanish is match. I guess phosphorus and coal both burn pretty hot. :D

loudbang likes this.
  24. PB, One of my favorite "misused" terms.
    Basically , I think it comes about from lack of knowledge about what's welded up inside that little black thing.
    Not knocking anyone here .I know plenty of veteran racers that don't have a clue either.
    I think it started like this:
    "I just put in a 3500 stall converter"
    Friends hear it like this:
    "I just put in a 3500, stall converter"
    Next step from there , is to just leave out the rpm number.
    Of course , this would be incorrect, as you stated. All converters "have stall".
    Best analogy I can come up with is this:
    Someone says: "My car is a dog off the line.I'm going to put a converter in it" Of course we know he means a high stall converter.
    Now, someone says " I want my car to have a mean lick to it.I'm gonna put a cam in it". Of course we know he means a high lift cam.
    But...we never hear anyone say "I 'm gonna put a lift in it".

loudbang likes this.
  25. Well they say put a lift in it if its a mud truck and its the '80s. :D But they are talking about lifting it so the big ol romper stomper tires will clear the sheet metal not change the cam.:D

I see some converters that are way too loose for the power plant. of course they don't actually reach advertised stall speed because the engine doesn't make enough torque to do that but they still go ,"Whirrrrr, Whirrrrrr when they are leaving the stoplight. :D

I just dropped one out there in another thread that may or may not be understood. I said that we were going to take a car on the highway and "wring it out". Find out what it will do.

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Damn straight" Don!

Speedwrench, loudbang and hotroddon like this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but I'm going to do one more and then stop. Jan Smithers who was on WKRP in Cincinnati. Loni Anderson got the nod but Jan was a 10+ in my book..

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  28. It goes back a tad further than Gilligan's Island -
    From An old Dictionary:
    Of hair: Having the colour of ginger. Of a cock: Having red plumage.

a1825 R. Forby Vocab. E. Anglia (1830) , Ginger, of a pale red colour, particularly applied to hair.

1834 T. Medwin Angler in Wales I. 35, I perceive a fine red or ginger game-cock in the yard.

As for Sand Bag - It's origin's are mainly in sports meaning to play at a lower level to improve a handicap - like you were playing with an actual sand bag holding you back.

Loni was "Fake" like a China Doll, Jan was the girl next door

porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Speaking of "High Stall Converter's" there is a fella around here that has a VERY HIGH STALL SPEED converter in what seems to be a pretty much stock small block Ford powered o/t T Bird. I can hear it coming for miles. At a stop light or stop sign he has to dang near floor the poor car to get it to move. The exhaust note is very unpleasing to the ears, kinda of has the sound of a flat ahooga horn stuck on the low note! Joe

loudbang likes this.
  30. I saw a Loni spread in a Hustler back in the '80s. Those fun bags were real hangers. Like in if her belly button were a mouth you would think, "Barney Google and his goo,goo googldy eyes" hangers. :eek::p

Sand bag is a funny one someone once told that it went back to building fox holes/bunkers, because some of them had a real monster in it, and not just some scared kid. Of course there is no documentation on that just what an aging soldier told me.

loudbang likes this.