Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Cadiallac Convertible Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grease4life, May 25, 2011.

1. Awesome build dude!! After I get my Buick finished up I'll be starting on my 55! Great motivation here! I plan on going the same route with the top and the motor as u did! Can't wait to see more updates! -Nick ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440443487.154619.jpg here is when I brought mine home.

The G00SE likes this.
  2. grease4life

grease4life

Glad you like it. Good luck on your build. It is a worth while project where the extra efforts pay off!

3. grease4life

grease4life

Finally got the money and time to tackle the Chop! Cut the old windshield frame and installed the one from the donor convertible.

[​IMG]

4. grease4life

grease4life

Had to add about an inch to the center in order to get the pillars to line up after taking 2" out. Oscar from Oscar's Auto Glass came down to measure for the new glass. He even got down with the grinder before going to pick up the new glass.
    chopframe.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. grease4life

grease4life

Oscar cut the glass without fail first try! After install, he even stuck around to help cut and re-install the trim pieces and admire the finished results over a celebratory beer. I highly recommend him for any glass needs in So Cal. Oscar's Auto Glass (310) 684-0325
    chop.JPG
    [​IMG]

6. Good work man! It's looking killer!

7. Any pictures of the cut and install of the trim?

8. grease4life

grease4life

The trim just screws into the stock locations. The outside was cut in the same places as the shop, just leaving 1/8" extra for overlap. I will not do my own welding for the vent windows which are pop metal,or the pillar covers which are stainless, as I will leave that up to a professional to give an end result that shows no sign modification...

9. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Think twice about cutting this one up! Eldo Seville prolly worth 2 to 3 times as much as a coupe de ville. Good chance you could trade this for a near done or a much nicer coupe deville or convert.

10. What did u do for the trim where u had to extend the top of the window frame?

11. This car has very sentimental value to me, I would never get rid of it..

12. grease4life

grease4life

I say modify what ever body style makes you happy. I cut up a 57 Eldorado Seville a while back. I figured the 20-30% additional value over Couple Deville (not "200-300%") would carry with the car through the build, and a high end project will reflect that much more value on a rarer car either way at the end of the day. Make sure you keep me posted when you dig into that. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always happy to share things I learned the hard way to save the next guy $ and time...

13. Cool man I appreciate it! I agree to modify whatever you want, it's your car and your creation! I'm sure I will have a few questions for you when the time comes! Gotta get my Buick finished first. Soon! Keep the updates Comin man your doing a killer job!

14. grease4life

grease4life

Didn't take any pics of the work but a lot of effort went into rebuilding the electrical portion of my bag system and getting a digital readout as well as 4-way leveling capabilities into the ashtray. Something I have wanted for a very long time!
    switches.JPG

15. grease4life

grease4life

Another big completion was bring an idea to life which consisted of using all Cadillac (54-56) speedometer parts to build a better looking, period correct speedometer that would house digital parts but appear 100% stock when turned off. Mission Accomplished?
    dashout.JPG
    dashparts.JPG
    87685de1-cf9e-4f7e-9d0d-f23b557d29e6_zpslzewz23r.JPG gauge.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. grease4life

grease4life

Finally got around to shooting the car with hot rod flatz cream yellow and had trim around hood and down the side of the car dipped while it was off.
    painted.JPG

tomkelly88 and 331 like this.
  17. grease4life

grease4life

[​IMG] Also shaved the hood ornament. Hated to see it go but just didn't like the profile with it on. Here is the latest pic at the Temecula Rod run 2016 all put back together. For those that don't know, this is a temp paint job to get me though the final stages (years) of this build...
    Temecula.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Good to see ya back on it.. Love how the car is turning out

19. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Needs hood ornament

20. grease4life

grease4life

Thanks man. Still pluggin away. Just haven't been on top of the real time updates lately.

21. philo426

philo426

Paint looks great and looks like a factory color.Is it really necessary to re paint it?

22. grease4life

grease4life

Not the direction I'm going with thus build, but I really like the color for now!

23. Squablow

Squablow

A good glass man is hard to find, the windshield fit on the first try is damn impressive.

24. grease4life

grease4life

Yeah I honestly think I got lucky. He prepared me for the fact that it may not come out on the first go around. Fortunately for my wallet it did!

Squablow likes this.
  25. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

So any progress on this? It's been a fun one to watch for sure

kbgreen likes this.
  26. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky