Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Pontiac Torpedo Custom / Taildragger

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CLM, Jul 26, 2013.

1. pzary3233

pzary3233

What ever happened to this project?

2. belair

belair

looks like a great start

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Good question.....

4. CLM

CLM

The '47 is hanging out in a friends shed while I get the wagon done. Wagon was supposed to be a quick "get it on the road" project, then the wife made the mistake of saying "you have it torn down this far, you might as well paint it." Follow that up with getting side tracked on an Avion travel trailer this summer. Avion is done, Wagon is back to top priority and should be done by spring. Then I get back on the '47.

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. CLM

CLM

6. sololobo

sololobo

great stuff everyone, loves me some Pontiacs

7. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

What body style ? I collected and hoarded Pontiac parts for 4-5 years when I had mine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sprout likes this.
  8. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

If you want to message me with what you might be looking for I can see what I've got .

It looks like you actually aren't too far away from me

9. 74kingwood

74kingwood

It's a torpedo. And we're not to far away from each other

10. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Let me see what I have that will work with that body style - should be style 47-2607 ?

11. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I know I have a set of the round 48-49 tail light assy , I have at least one pair of NOS front marker light lenses , the waterfall trim for the trunk lid , a set of sun visors , two hood releases & an NOS passenger side rear qtr panel .

After that I will need to dig into my storage containers that may take a day or so .

12. 74kingwood

74kingwood

13. CLM

CLM

I'm still hoarding parts for mine until I finish it. After being side tracked on an Avion camper, I'm finally back working on my wagon and hope to have the '47 torpedo back home in my garage this winter working on it.

14. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Best advice I have for anyone that owns a late 40s early 50s Pontiac ... if you find parts , buy them! A lot of this stuff is rarer than lips on a bird and it isn't getting any easier to find .

15. CLM

CLM

Agreed! Picked up an entire front and rear suspension out of a '51 Pontiac last night for $200. Just needed an a-arm, but this was all rebuilt about 15 years ago, so much better than my original worn out front end. Should keep my '50 Wagon going for many years to come.

And got another set of stock wheels, clips in place with very little rust for $100. Finally have enough matching stock wheels for my Pontiacs. Mentioning wheels, made me think of hubcaps, you should see my stock pile of those. I'm running '50 Pontiac sombrero style caps on the '47. I'm running '52 Pontiac rice paddy caps on the '50. And the boattail speedster I plan to build from the parts car will run the original '50 poverty caps from the wagon.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and 47streamliner like this.
  16. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Sooo much better than the lever action shocks on my 47!

I started hoarding parts when I looked at the production numbers versus a Chevy and how many parts were body style specific .

I'd buy parts even if it wasn't for my car just so they wouldn't be scrapped and lost forever

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  17. CLM

CLM

Yeah, I have a set of NOS lever action shocks to go on the '47. But when I get back to working on the '47, I may see if I can use parts from the '50 to convert over to standard shocks.

18. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I looked into it and if I recall it was not really a conversion thing it was more of a front stub sort of thing .

That was a mustang II setup and was a whole kit . I looked at even using same year Chevy parts and I believe those weren't even very swappable . That's when I started looking at the MII kit .

19. CLM

CLM

I think I may be able to use this front cross member from the '50 suspension I bought to convert it over. Not sure how close it is, but will save it just in case. Main thing I need is the upper spring pocket area/shock mount and the upper a-arm mounting area. I know the lower a-arms have the same geometry, because my '50 wagon has a '47 a-arm on one side.

20. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

That would be great - I'll keep an eye on this to see how you do it !

21. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I just read this thread and was thrilled to see someone else working on a Pontiac! I have a 50 fastback with a running straight 8 as well as a 50 4 door sedan parts car with a running 8 and automatic transmission. I also have a 39 Pontiac 4 door that my wife likes. My plan is to put the 8 and automatic tranny from the 50 into it.

Sprout likes this.
  22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cool Pontiac. Bought a 41 Streamliner about a year ago. It's still in the parts collecting stage.

P-9.png P-7.png

Sprout and mgtstumpy like this.
  23. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A front sub-frame from a 1968 - 1974 Nova / Pontiac Ventura is an easy swap. The previous owner of my 41, used a 74 Nova, drum brake front sub-frame. The Nova / Ventura frame rails telescope into the original 41 Pontiac frame rails. Worked really well. These sub-frames are getting a bit tough to find, though.

1frnt322.jpg 1rtsd322.jpg frameft.jpg framfr1.jpg framrr1.jpg MVC-024F.JPG

lucky, Sprout and jakespeed63 like this.
  25. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

26. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I hate to jump in here , but I'm looking for a brake pedal arm , rod , and master for my 49 Pontiac fast back . sounds like you may have them fiyrfitr . just got the car . all parts are missing ,so I don't know exactly what I'm needing ! srt 8 /hydro .cant figure out how to pm . site changed I guess . any help needed

27. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Bill I have a brake pedal arm from my 47 streamliner if your interested

28. Sprout

Sprout

29. Pjgarc22

Pjgarc22

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Pjgarc22

Pjgarc22

Well I'm brand spanking new here on this forum. I came close to selling my 47' Torpedo but when my friend got serious about coming over to look at it, I sat back and told myself, what the hell am I thinking. So for now, I'm keeping it. I need help. First of all, not sure but I think it's a coupe. It's going to be my first total restore except I'm not an auto mechanic by trade. But I got enough common sense to do it. I have the original inline 8 it came with but I believe it might be locked up. I'm interested in it going at least 80 mph on the highway and the original did about 75. I want a good disc break system so I'm sure I need a different front clip. Did you put a new motor and front clip on yours and if so, what did you put in. I'll be doing all the body sanding and possibly paint job myself but I was wondering if you had to cut into your firewall to make your engine fit. I'm from Cleburne Texas, South of Ft Worth. And how's your project coming along?

Attached Files:

Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.