Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. KKrod

KKrod

"mill" - a automobile engine in a Henry Gregor Felson book

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Hey Beaner ever been 86ed from a drinking establishment? Where did that one come from? My guess maybe an old police code for intoxication. :p

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. Tobywan

Tobywan

4. Is there anyone here who never once greeted their buddy back in the good old days with a salutation like "Hey Kemosabe"?

OahuEli and Montana1 like this.
  5. Drewski

Drewski

Maybe a southern thing, but heard around my area "Hittin a lick" (engine running a radical cam)
    Haul Ass or Hauling Ass.
    Boy, that engine is so wore out the pistons are swapping holes.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

How about keyway. A keyway is a hole to put a key in. The key is the piece that goes in it.

loudbang likes this.
  7. The guy I apprenticed for used to say that - hit it a lick or hittin a lick for all sorts of stuff.
    Usually he was talking about having sex, sometimes when I needed to grab a BFH, or if he was planning on fucking off for a while. He used that saying for all sorts of stuff. From North Carolina and West Virginia

Out and about riding around without destination or reason well we are out there keeping the roads hot or out there killing bugs and burning dinosaurs

loudbang likes this.
  8. southerncad

southerncad

How about the old term, when somebody wanted you to get on the throttle hard to get away from somebody and they said "grab a root and growl"...
    maybe it was a Texas thing:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

Around here that was just "Nail it!"

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  10. I had a friend from Arkansas that called it "lace it to the wood". We just said "Nail it!"

loudbang likes this.
  11. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

It was short lived around here but to accelerate you would say "give it some carburetor fluid" come to think of it,didn't here it much after cars became fuel injected.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  12. A "bootleg" or "bootlegger" turn was making a U-turn with the gas pedal with no brakes and just a small juke on the steering wheel.

I skipped reading a few here and there so forgive me if I repeat anything.

loudbang likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. Larry T

Larry T

We used the emergency brake.

I mean, I heard they used the emergency brake. :D

loudbang likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I heard it was a military term, in the Navy right after the Big One, anything slated for disposal was AT-6

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  16. RE: bootlegger turn
    The true bootlegger turn uses the gas pedal to speed up the rear tire speed versus the pavement so friction exits the building and the vehicle does a 180 controlled by the gas pedal. Using the emergency brake handle to slow down the rear tires, thus lose traction to slide the vehicle around, is doable. I believe rally car divers have the hand brake trick in their toolbox, especially front wheel drive cars because they can only slow the rear axle. They can't speed it up with the gas pedal. It's all good. I'm just throwing out a term from the old days, however the deed is done.

loudbang likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Footfeed is one I haven't heard in a coon's age. Here is one we used to say a lot..."it runs like a stripe-ed ass ape".

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Around here it was a 'Raped Ape':eek:

19. loudbang

loudbang

Around my area it was "Goose it" for revving it up

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Us real truckers still shift gears! No automatics for us! I learned to float shift without the clutch right after I started driving big trucks, seldom use the clutch except for starting or stopping.

Lots of our Southern sayings are like that. A cammed up car is "Toting a lick" Gas pedal can be a foot feed, skinny pedal, load pedal or a few other things. Opening an engine up on the highway is "Blowing the soot out of it", usually because of the black smoke older cars would put out. A big carb was a "55 gallon drum with 4 holes in the bottom", meaning it used a lot of gas. Mags were any non stock wheel, no matter what they were made out of. Tennis shoes were tires. A steering box was called a steering sector, friend got a newer Chevy pickup and said it didn't have a steering sector on it, it had one of those wrecked peters on it, rack and pinion, lol. And some of the older guys still call a trunk lid a turtle deck.

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  21. southerncad

southerncad

I heard field cars called a "Rollscanhardly"

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D When a really fast vehicle went by he was"Carrying the mail".
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Montana1, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

And I bet if you had to get the truck into the shop after a clutch failure, you could still get it there without using the clutch at all (after dropping the trailer). Am I right?

Montana1 and loudbang like this.
  24. Over 40 years, 8 trucks and several million miles, only ONE clutch failure.

Ben

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

When I was a diesel mechanic in the Navy in the mid -70s, that was the term we used for setting injector timing on the old two stroke Detroit Diesels. I learned on 12V-71TTAs, (much patience required:eek::D). "You need to use a 1460 pick on a yellow tag S-90 to run the rack and it better bounce". The "1460 pick" was a timing tool used to adjust injector plunger height to 1.460 inches. Detroit guys know the rest. Haven't heard that term in awhile.

Blues4U likes this.
  26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

And when one runs away, its a "skid marks in the skivvies" moment. Been there twice.:eek::D Was able to stop both engines from "puking rods" though, we literally twisted the fuel line off the 12v71 after the shutdown flaps didn't work, and the 318, (non turbocharged 8V-71 Detroit) was shut down by stuffing a service manual into the air intake on top of the truck. The second one was my fault...:oops:

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

In my younger years I did a fair amount of "souping up" of engines for people. Often times a guy with an automatic wanted to know why I recommended adding a "higher stall" torque converter when installing a "big" (higher lift, longer duration) cam. Showing them the the rpm range that the cam manufacturer called the "power band", I explained that they needed a converter to lock up after "the motor was on the cam" (inside the power band). A couple ignored my advice, only to come back later wanting to know why their engine stalled while at a stop light. Install the correct converter, problem solved.

Donuts & Peelouts and Montana1 like this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The story I have heard for years: There was (and still is) a bar in New York City named Chumley's which was one of many speakeasies in the Greenwich Village area of Manhattan. The address is 86 Bedford Street. Back in the old days when graft was more prevalent, the police would call Chumley's to advise of a raid in the very near future. The proprietor of the place would announce "86 everybody" and the patrons would run our the front door, 86 Chumley, while the police were coming in the courtyard door.

29. I often use the old term "tuning by the seat of the pants" to refer to carb and ignition tuning techniques. Of course, that was before electronics and computers and such.
    Surprisingly, I got pretty good at it! ;)

I think the term comes from the old barnstormer days where the pilots would fly "by the seat of their pants" without instruments.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  30. I remember the old TV series, Get Smart, after the lead character Maxwell Smart. The female lead was Agent 86. I always wondered if it derived from that character somehow but I don't have a clue how.

It's not a car term but it is a good trivia head scratcher. I remember it being used when instructing someone to toss something in the trash.

loudbang likes this.