Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Retaining '52 Mercury headlight inner trim

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bartezz, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bartezz

bartezz

Hi,

I've bought '52 merc headlight rings and inner trim to french the headlights on my ride, similar to the attached pic below . They didn't come with retaining clips or anything.

Now, to make this work I was wondering how the inner trim normally is kept in place. (to be clear, it's not the bulb retaining ring I'm talking about) I've been trying to find an exploded view from a workshop manual or the likes but can't find anything online.

Can anyone help me out and snap a pic form a manual you have or point me in the right direction online?

Cheers,
    Bart

[​IMG]

2. Squablow

Squablow

There were spring clips holding the stainless ring on the outer steel ring from the back side. The clips are available new and are cheap. But once they're frenched in, I'm not real clear on how the rings are removed, unless you have to remove the buckets from the back side first, then fish the clips out with a thin tool or something.

I asked the same thing but never got a clear answer. One guy suggested using Velcro? Might work I guess.

bartezz likes this.
  3. vonschmidt

vonschmidt

I have no idea how it's normally done. But i would use magnets over Velcro if I was going that route

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bartezz likes this.
  4. bartezz

bartezz

Thanks both! I like the idea of magnets over velcro too. Let me try how magnetic the ss inner trim is. Ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless isn't.

5. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Its kind of hard to explain without pictures but I made my own clips that catch the rear lip of the inner rings so you can just grab them with your fingers and pull them out.

bartezz likes this.
  6. bartezz

bartezz

Thanx! Also ran thru my mind. Really curious tho. No chance of snapping a couple?

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, my old boss used to make simple clips to hold them in. Just a piece of sheet metal bent to 90*, and welded inside the housing. No pics, though!

bartezz likes this.
  8. bartezz

bartezz

Thanx! Will look into that.

9. Squablow

Squablow

bartezz likes this.
  10. bartezz

bartezz

Heater hose might work well!! Thanx for the link. I'll brew on this :)

dan c likes this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

I don't know if this will help you I ran across this article hopefully it's not to blurry to read...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ace5043 and bartezz like this.
  12. bartezz

bartezz

13. rudestude

rudestude

I came up with a set up that I'm doing on a 50 Chev Bel air mine are more of a tunneled Frenched headlight I have them posted on here somewhere. I started with Frenching kit turned out to be crap so I gave it my own twist took the can part used Hillman head light bucket and mounting ring a 57 ford head light ring and a 53 54 inner ring put it all together and ended up with a tunneled Frenched headlight that is all adjustable and removable from the front.....

bartezz likes this.
  14. rudestude

rudestude

Here's some pics of what I did, the inner ring I'm going to make some clips of some kind that wedges against the ring when slid in to hold it then there's going to be drain holes in the bucket, I'm in Oregon it rains sometimes.......And I will probably put a brace from the back of the bucket to the fender for support....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

bartezz likes this.
  15. bartezz

bartezz

Thanx! Drainholes in OR. Is probably a good idea yeah. When I lived there 20 years a go the rain season was close to 365 days a year

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Dont over think it
    You have to come up with a way to hold the head light in from the back .
    I welded studs inside the fender to mount the bulb so you can change it. if needed and the beauty rings a dab or 3 of clear silicon will hold them in

bartezz likes this.
  17. bartezz

bartezz

Looking at your pics again... you're not planning on welding the bezel onto your fender I take it? Cause how does that work with adjustability then? Seems you won't be able to get to the adjustment screws cause the bulb retainer trim is in the way?!

18. rudestude

rudestude

The studs that are in the bucket that the bulb holder goes on too are spring loaded so you put your bulb into the base ring, then put the bulb retaining ring on 3 screws hold it together then slid the assembly into the bucket, line the three slotted holes up with the three spring loaded studs push down and twist once it is locked in place use a long skinny screw driver the adjustments are made by turning the three spring mounted studs that the headlight assembly twisted on to ....When adjusted slide the stainless inner ring in to the bucket down over the light it is locked in to place with three clips but I think Im going to put a couple of peaces of Velcro to hold it in so it is easier to remove also if you use a suction cup on the headlight it helps when lowering the bulb assembly into the bucket

bartezz likes this.
  19. bartezz

bartezz

Ah, thanx for the explanation. Get how it works now. Need to do some measurements on my bezel. Don't think I can drop in the buld 'n bucket the the front of my bezel. Like your idea tho!

20. bartezz

bartezz

Well the good news is I CAN fit the inner bucket in through the bezel if I grind off some excess steel and by tilting it a little.

Plan is coming together. Thanx all!

21. verde742

verde742

I have 3 Brand new ones, $50 bucks each or all 3 $ 120.00

outside frames...

bartezz likes this.
  22. bartezz

bartezz

Reproduction bezels? Have a pic?

23. verde742

verde742

no, they are originals.. outside frame only

24. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a frenched kit (buckets and rings) but I found the aftermarket Mercury rings are 9 3/4" and the original Pontiac rings are 10 1/4" I am confused because it appears only the 54 Pontiac fenders are that large on the face of the fender.

25. Most 50's people took the buckets out from the back to change a bulb, you just turn the clips (Tinnerman nuts) around and put the screws in from the back.

26. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

here is how I do mine. I take out clips and tack weld in 20 gauge sheetmetal. mark bezel and drill 1/8 hole. then transfer hole to sheetmetal. dimple bezel and mount with 1/8 inch stainless screws. this way you can remove headlight from front

Attached Files:

bartezz likes this.
  27. bartezz

bartezz

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing mate. Might do it like this!