Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your shift knob is ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edcodesign, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That's why I had no clue. I was in drag racing and never had any interest in circle track. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

2. These are some of my vintage pieces that have been "adopted" to new homes............

(Looking through my files, I find that I photograph all my own creations but only some of my vintage pieces. I'll post some of my own stuff in a later post.)

DSCN0041.JPG DSC_1813.JPG 004.JPG 1698.jpg 027.JPG 021.JPG asprin1 (1).JPG DSC_1803.JPG DSCN1172.JPG

BigO, contspanko, waxhead and 7 others like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

that Buddha shift knob is unusual!

4. I'm no expert and I only know the little I do know because of my purchase of the meteorite raw material for this shift knob. Meteorites are named after the closest town and/or longitude and latitude. Anyway, a geographic place of some kind. Some are single piece finds and others have a lot of material scattered over a wide area from the same meteor. I have the info about the "pedigree" of this one and it comes from a well known site that is easy to identify and document.
    If you look closely at my photo, you can see the Widmansatten pattern (named after the guy that first noticed and reported this) all around the surface. This pattern is found on nickle-iron (core material) meteorites and can't be faked or created in any lab. The pattern is only produced when molten nickle-iron is slowly cooled over millions of years in a vacuum at 0 gravity. It's your assurance of the real deal. I create a lot of my shift knobs from gemstone material so I've had to learn enough so I'm not passing along fake stuff.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    LeoH, Jet96, clem and 1 other person like this.
  5. Yea, he was a vintage piece I imported from Tibet and added the threaded insert, etc. The little guy had 4 faces, 4 moods and loosening the lock nut, it could be indexed with a different face/mood at any time, even daily. A real conversation piece and an eye catcher.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. LOL Norwegians were tall and blond long before the master race too. ;)

Max Gearhead and falcongeorge like this.
  7. Muttley

Muttley

I've got a tiny dash knob that's a match to that. It was floating around in my Dad's toolbox forever. It's hard to believe it never got lost or broken.

deadbeat, falcongeorge and Moriarity like this.
  8. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

slack, hipster, dan31 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Muttley

Muttley

I've got about six of those, they seem to pop up at every swapmeet around here. Any old Cal Custom part is hard to resist for a buck or two. I used one for my emergency brake handle.

deadbeat likes this.
  10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Here is another I have, Cal Custom I believe but a little more different. Gary 0322170922a95224808.jpg 0322170925a95254436.jpg

Jet96, edcodesign and deadbeat like this.
  11. Here's mine. Cast Iron bottle opener I found on the auction site. The bottle opener part was the exhaust. Cut that off and threaded it. DSC_0210.JPG

vor, Speed~On, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mine was in a BIG box of Hurst shifter parts I bought off Brigrat. It will probably end up on my swap meet table at some point.:D Its not really my kind of thing, I posted it more as an inside joke for Brigrat.

13. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Purchased this from a HAMB member

[​IMG]

BigO, LeoH, dan31 and 8 others like this.
  14. All righty then, here's some of my own creations that are needing a home. Some have vintage components with patina and history, some are new-ish but have the right vibe for rods and classics, etc.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg, I have over 500 one-of-a-kind shift knobs in my kit.

Art Deco
    036.JPG
    genuine emerald
    1777.JPG

Labradorite gemstone
    DSCN1316.JPG

beer tap
    DSCN0069.JPG
    alligator jasper gemstone.... for bayou folks DSCN0086 (3).JPG
    Harmonica style microphone into shift knob
    DSCN1342 (1).JPG
    Minor Hindu god "The Moon Eater" mooneater1.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    BigO, Dave Mc, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  15. j3harleys

j3harleys

When I got this car there was knob. My Great grand Dad use to make walking canes out of every straight stick he found. When I was a kid I always liked this one, 20170322_131746.jpg so here it is.

whiplash1923T, Jet96, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  16. I have a genie shifter in my Merc with the black knob it came with. I don't have a photo to share, but I am surprised no one else has posted a photo of one yet.

17. as a kid i put a skull knob on. i now run the chrome ball that my dad had on the car. he said it came from a harley side shifter. DSCF2999.JPG 33RIDE 005.JPG

18. clunker, edcodesign and deadbeat like this.
  19. metalman

metalman

A friend of mine gave me this one, don't have a home for it yet. No clue where it came from, promo item for a clothing line perhaps?:p DSC_0251.JPG

whiplash1923T and edcodesign like this.
  20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. japchris

japchris
    from England

Mines an old cap ray-gun poking out of a Space Cadets lunchbox.
    [​IMG]

22. One of one, for 3/8 x 16 shifters. It's 2 1/2" wide and a little bit tall which adds some length.
    The gumballs are rubber so they are soundless when shifting and rocking down the road.
    Come see it along with lots of others at the Lone Star Round Up next month.

gumball.png

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    dan31, 50fish, whiplash1923T and 8 others like this.
  23. First time I have seen that video..........Top Notch, enjoyed it a bunch.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

PurdueSD likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

edcodesign and Jet96 like this.
  26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I need a cool shifter knob for my car. All I have is the black plastic round thing with the 5 speed pattern Dodge gave the original owner of my 5 speed trans back in 90. Gene

27. 55styleliner

55styleliner

28. No i didn't make it. Just something i found to match the ford wheel like you said. It looks to be pretty old. Wish i knew more. It's huge too which makes it kinda odd and likeable. 3" tall and like 2.5" in diameter. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 4.36.20 PM.png

Max Gearhead and edcodesign like this.
  29. Dave Mc

Dave Mc