Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical carb question, HOLLEY LIST 4737-2, can't find info...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. yep, and a little further down identified that one as a 4777 on which someone had defaced the second 7 to look like a 3.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I didn't need 777 to know it was a double pump ;). That's why it could work backwards. :p :)

hillbilly likes this.
  3. nor did I...I was just curious what the 4737 was about, because it didn't show up in any of the lists I had. I like to know details...it's in the blood.

It didn't work very well backwards, in spite of someone's bubba'd up efforts, which is why it was swapped for another carb and sitting on a shelf (as told to me today by the guy whose shelf it used to sit on), there's more to the story that isn't really relevant here, so I didn't disclose the whole thing chapter and verse.

Pretty obvious it's a double pumper with the two accelerator pumps, dual fuel line. I knew that much, I just wanted to know what it came from, details man, details...while others found a carb with the number I THOUGHT it was (thanks to old eyes and dim light), I found the defaced digit in the LIST number once the wife woke up and I wasn't going to be disturbing her by upping the lights...gotta keep her happy ;)

Anything further, oh great inquisitor? :p

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Where there 2 power valve's ?

hillbilly likes this.
  5. Nope. Just the one on the primary metering block...there wasn't one on the secondary side.
    powervalve.jpg port.jpg

Yes, there are still incriminating bits of gasket matter left on it, my projects have to wait until I get other people's finished...making a set of headers for a friend's non-hamb '80 elky, he's too cheap to buy the ones made for the job, so I get to refresh my memory on welding thin metal with oxy/acetylene before I dive into the necessary bits for my own "git'r done" rig.

*edit* the second photo's text should say "passage," not port. It's late for me and I have to be up in four hours...good evening HAMB.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then that's why it ran like crap on the secondary now primary side. How many power valves here ? [​IMG]

hillbilly likes this.
  7. sweeeet! thanks for the exploded view!

everyone around here is going over to TBI, fine by me, I get carbs cheap.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Some double pumpers come with 1 power valve, some with 2. The 4777s just came with one.

hillbilly likes this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mine all had plugs in the holes. :D

hillbilly and Larry T like this.
  10. Larry T

Larry T

I've got a couple of 4779 750 double pumpers on a tunnel ram that don't have power valves either.

hillbilly likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tattletale :)

hillbilly and Larry T like this.
  12. I dunno...just looks to me like somebody removed the primary throttle shaft and when they put it back, they put it in from the wrong side, leaving the throttle linkage on the passenger side of the carb.

hillbilly likes this.
  13. Exactly what they did will remain a mystery I suppose, but I'm pretty sure I can get it to work. Thanks for all the feedback y'all!