Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Hood Side Panels Removed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ejgloss, Mar 21, 2017.

1. What are the "typical" or best methods to restrain the hood when the side panels are removed?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made straps for my one piece hood. GG%20East%20Coast%20Nats%202013%20%20(428)[1].jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Dad took two short (around 2"-3") pieces of rod the same size as the old hinge pin and I welded a small flat washer on one end. We put the new "pin" in the hinge on each side then took a short bungee cord and attached each end to the washer going under the radiator support rods. Worked that way for years, you couldn't see the bungee and worked great, the pins don't work themselves out if you put them in the right direction. Dad loved to run without the hood sides but also wanted to keep the two top halves functioning normally and they did. If I was at home I would post pics for you.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

one of those tips ;
    when taking apart the hood, drive the hinge rod back and forth about an inch , then tighten the extended end into your ballsiest drill, spin and pull the rod out... works well.

ROCKER77 likes this.

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

hood hold down.jpg

I used straps like many have before. I found the best price is from Restoration Supply.

6. It can be as simple as a screen door spring or bungee cord stretched between the two tops ,I always likes the DZUS fasteners. HRP

upload_2017-3-21_10-32-56.jpeg

Dean Lowe likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

You need two bungee cords that can be shortened to the proper length. Straighten the hook ends and then put a "slightly" more than 90 degree bend in them. Install one at the front of the hood, and one at the rear. Make sure you insert the straightened ends facing forward in the hinge holes as the hood has a taper. If you install only one in the middle of the hood, there is a good chance the hood will bow in, especially if the bungee is too short (tight). I ran my under construction Model A like this for over a year, and it worked fine.

8. alchemy

alchemy

I use a pair of rubber bungee cords under my 32's hood when I leave the sides off. Hook in the stock loops and run it under the radiator stay rods. It's never popped up on me, and is very easy to remove if I need to tilt the side up.

9. Thanks guys
    I like the option to remove the sides or run the whole hood

10. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I used springs instead of bungees. A trip to Ace, and found springs that I felt were the right tension. They are out of sight.

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Make your own leather straps, I did and the grand total was less than $30.

12. Like Danny said, Dzus buttons.
    [​IMG]

13. dwollam

dwollam

I used 4 small springs sorta like universal carb springs with the long tail. Cut them to length and attached them through the sleeves on the hood and to the firewall and radiator shell. Barely even visible and not difficult to un-hook when needing to raise the hood.

Dave