Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway Headlight Setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66miles99, Mar 21, 2017.

1. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

I'm pressing on with my build and have wired the headlights I bought from speedway.

[​IMG]
    Now that they are hooked up and working I have noticed one 7" lamp when installed is oriented vertically and one horizontally and with the way the tabs on the lights and the housing are this is the only possibly orientation. Is this a manufacturing error from Speedway (lamp housing has tabs in wrong positions) or is there literally a right and left headlight, one goes to passenger side (vertically I'm guessing), and one goes to drivers side (horizontally) to give you a varied light pattern? I can find no information to back up this theory just this picture online.

[​IMG]

2. Something isn't right here. They both should be the same.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Are they OTB's or a Speedway knockoff of OTB's. I've bought directly from OTB and they were fine.

da34guy likes this.
  4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I was just contemplating those guide knock offs. Looking to replace the 26-27 repops I have. They look good but don't light for shit. I'm glad you posted this.
    Speedway sells these individually, so I wouldn't expect to see a difference left to right. Call Speedway.
    Let us know how the lighting is.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yeah...something doesn't jive here. They should be the same. Let us know what you find out.

6. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

I could easily cut new tabs in but I hate modifying something and then finding out it was done right in the first place. I will contact speedway but since I bought these 3 ish years ago (I overestimated my build speed buy a lot!) they may not be too interested in any sort of exchange but I will let y'all know.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Speedway says that was not intentional. Also because of how long ago that I purchased the headlights there is nothing they can do, which is disappointing but not surprising! Well I guess now I get to modify yet another part I've purchased. So I guess lesson for today is buyer beware, inspect everything you get shipped to you carefully and timely.

8. Canus

Canus

Are the headlight housings the problem or is it the bulbs?

9. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The drivers lamp may be aimed high causing the pattern. I bought the same lamp about 3 years ago and could not get both lamps to aim down correctly. Don't remember exactly what I did, but I had to modify them to get a pattern on the road.

Warrn

10. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

It's definitely the housing, I swapped bulbs just to check as that would be a cheap fix, and had same issue.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

So sorry to read of the issue with those lights, but I'm glad that you told us about it.

OBT lights for the Win !

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Those are a knockoff just like normal some parts some bad typical from speedway

13. Looks like I'll get them from Summit instead of Speedway.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't knock that stuff. It's the best parts $3.00 a day labor can buy...;)

Take a look inside, the part that holds the light in may be removable and you can re-orient (no pun intended) the position easier than grinding and such. Don't ask how I know, but my customer's lights were almost $700 and had the same issue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Good tip I'll take a look. To be honest it could happen to any manufacturer they were pretty inexpensive and the rest looks reasonably built. I don't want to knock the "knock offs" too bad...pun intended!

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knock it all you like 66. I've been breathing fire and spitting venom at this shit for 4 years. I won't say every part is $3.00/day garbage, just most of it.