Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 331 hemi alternator mounting issue : need solutions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Mar 20, 2017.

1. I have a 1954, 331 hemi in a 1934 ford 2 dr sedan. My motor has an independant thermostat housing, not the housing between the tubes mounted in the front of the heads. I have a hot heads alternator bracket that mounts by the crank pulley, either side.
    Problem , I don't have enough clearance on either side.The front crossmember is in the way. You can notch the crossmember but then you'll be into the front spring.
    I'm sure several of you guys have been in the same situation and have fabricated a workable set up. here's some pics......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kan Kustom and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

One of the very small alternators from one of the modern jap cars? I believe I would go to the local U-pull it and walk around. You might also look at mounting the alternator higher?

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

What alternator? The Chrysler style are not as deep as a GM

4. I've been mocking up a 1 wire Chevy alternator

5. First, how many amps do you actually need? A small denso alternator from a forklift is the smallest you can get and at 55 amps is quite enough.

Second, look to mount it low on the drivers side, trim the motor mount pad off the crossmember and you could put 2 of them in there.

image.jpeg

saltflats and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. v8deuce

v8deuce

I've even saw some mounted on the driveshaft but of course that limits it function. I'm sure you could mount one of the small denso's on the drivers side without any cutting

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. thanks, good idea

great idea Vicky....thanks, I'll keep you posted

thanks deuce, I'm on it.......

8. another concern is will a 50 amp. alternator have enough power to run the motor plus headlights with out any problems.

9. staleg

staleg

I made a bracet from thick walled 3/4" pipe on my 34 Roadster. Maybe not beautiful, but works very well.
    Thick walled pipes are very stiff.
    Judging from your photos I would probably tried to do something similar by using the 3 water pump bolts on the drivers side of the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Here it is on a SBC Chevy with a short water pump.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

11. Arominus

Arominus

What cam are you running with that Hot heads single plane? Fairly hot i imagine since that intake doesn't come on till 3k or so.

As others are suggesting, go grab a denso out of something. Thats my plan for my 392 install. I'm running the hot heads dual plane and so i can't replicate my top mount alternator setup i had. I'll be looking for a 90amp or higher denso. 50ish will be ok with your car IMO unless your going for high powered lights (run relays btw, you want max voltage at the bulbs), electric fans, A/C, ect.

12. cam info:
    [​IMG]

Arominus likes this.
  13. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

IMG_0466.JPG I,m going to run one of those small Denso alternators. This isn't,t mine I stole this pic off here but I,m making a similar set up.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My entire 1969 Malibu got by just fine with a factory installed 37A alternator.

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

16. Here's my solution, Nippon denso from a Suzuki samari
    IMG_3038.JPG

Arominus and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  17. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what I did but I used the stock water pump housing. I used a universal chrome alt bracket I cut down. (I was in such a hurry to get it running that I put the carb on backwards. I realized that when I went to connect the kickdown cable).

Attached Files:

saltflats likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^now that's funny.

19. Toqwik

Toqwik

20. I might even paint it black

21. That's the sweet spot.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a Hemi but food for thought.
    The dilemma I had was due mostly to pinching my frame rails.
    I already had bought this high amp alternator from Ford Motorsports and really wanted to keep it. I thought I was going to have to go with one of those little tractor alternators but a friend of mine said what's the big deal just "make the cut", so I did.

20161107_010143.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Can you space the crank and water pump pulleys out farther?

24. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Hey nice water crossover scottyt....

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  25. 1800hotheads and it does not play well with other items necessary to drive the car.

26. squirrel

squirrel

I'd be looking at using the early Mopar alternator. It looks good...it's kind of large diameter, but it's short. And it looks good.

27. So far everything seems ok with the crossover, what problems should I look for?

28. this should work......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't like the lower mount bolt at single shear.