Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Man what happened? I was pondering a 5 speed for the 36

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always liked the idea of stick cars. I know they aren't as efficient, but nothing beats rowing a stick car, listening to the rpms climb.

With the Cadillac build for the 36 coming to the forefront, I decided to look and see what a few thngs cost to build a nice 5 speed setup. DANG! $2300 for a Tremec, $900 for a bellhousing, $400 for a clutch, pressure /plate, $600 for a slave cylinder/hyd throwout bearing setup. Not counting Flywheel etc.

I may need to rethink this. I know I can probably source the slave cylinder out of a production car and fab some brackets. Not sure that a production tranny would fit right in an early Ford, as far as shifter location etc. Plus the Caddy make need something a little beefier for the torque.

I REALLY would like to make this happen, but I am not giving up a kidney to do it.

Any ideas for saving a few bucks?

loudbang likes this.
  2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Roothawg, I'm in the same boat on this one. I finally just started to buy parts here and there, still cost the same but it doesn't seem like so much when money goes out in smaller amounts.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll have more in my tranny than I do in the motor.......ugh

lothiandon1940 and Montana1 like this.
  4. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

What year Caddy? Is it old enough to find an original stick bell housing and flywheel, if so make your own adapter plate(or purchase one from Modern Driveline). Use a S10 trans(Max $500 at swap meet) Centerforce clutch and pressure plate( approx $250) Slave cylinder from an 85 Chev pickup and a master from Speedway. I used the above when I put a 322 Nailhead in my 51 Meteor(Ford). If you want any more info, e mail me at [email protected]

Tim, clunker and loudbang like this.

5. That's why people go with the automatics now.

razoo lew and loudbang like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's for a 62 390. I would shred the S10 tranny I am afraid. That's why I have been looking at aftermarket stuff.

7. Not bad. My TKO-600 was 1800 ten years ago. I was lucky enough to have an off topic unibody, with a Z bar linkage, and plenty of room. No gloating, just hope you can rob a bank, and knock off some convenience stores, and continue your plan.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Roothawg like this.
  8. staleg

staleg

punkmxcn, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  9. I feel your PAIN. You can wrap up a lot in a auto as well, if you are racing. Maybe go with a slightly beefed up auto with manual valve body so you can work out your right arm. Just a thought. Thats a lot of $$ for that set up, but would be real nice I must admit.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Roothawg like this.
  10. deuceman32

deuceman32

I hear you brother. I scored a good (and poorly listed) 92 Z28 T5 on that auction site for $505 shipped, a swap meet S10 tail housing and top cover for $75, a feebay mech speedo drive gear conversion for another $75, an S10 hurst shifter for $250. So I am at $905 with some luck and serious scrounging for a used trans with new shifter that is good for what, 300 or maybe 350 ft-lb of torque? Absolutely fine behind my 30-over 283, maybe not with 500 ft-lb of Caddy.

What else can you do? Networking, I guess. Make sure all your buds know what you need. A friend of mine recently sold a Richmond 6 speed at a used price but it had under 1000 miles on it. Ratios didn't work for him.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. rjones35

rjones35

Kinda the same idea, but with a mustang world class t5? They can handle more hp/torque and can probably find one at a reasonable price I would think.

loudbang likes this.
  12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Is side shift a problem? If not what about a Nash/Richmond 5 speed with a 2.56 or 2.73 rear end- surely cheaper - I assume a 4 speed is out b/c you want good highway manors? but do you really need more than a 2.52 first and 3.08 - 3.55 gears? its all about compromises I guess.....shit, a three speed would be better than an automatic in that thing though LOL......don't give in, as others said above, there is always a way

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If the OP isn't running big sticky rear tires then a WC T5 should work..

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  14. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Take a look at later Mustangs with 4.6 motor (I think mid '90's through 2004. '05 through '09 have same tyranny, but with a remote shifter.) Transmissions are either T45 (early) or TR3650. Neither are TKO class, but both are somewhat stronger than the 270-300 ft-lbs rated T5. The way their owners drive, should be plenty in the salvage yards. I don't know about adaptor availability, so you may be on your own there. BTW, at least 3650 comes with integral bell hsg, so no dollars there. Of course, this complicates adapter situation. Good luck.
    Farmalldan

loudbang likes this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know you have to pay to play, but I live in 1986 prices......

16. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

P.S. Google Smart Parts Automotive for an $800.00 rebuilt TR3650. Kicker is $350 core charge.
    Farmalldan

loudbang likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

ls1yj and loudbang like this.
  18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That would be great, as long as your crank has a pilot hole and you have a flywheel.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nope. They aren't drilled.....another added expense.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Haha I was just having this conversation with myself. I want to do a stout FE in a 60 F-100 and was looking up Tremec transmissions.... Ouch!! At least the bellhousing and all that is pretty much freebie stuff for my build, but still..

21. belair

belair

I'm pretty ignorant about a lot of things, this topic included, but would Oldsmobile stuff work on the Caddy?

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

23. A lot of it would, but it is not any cheaper. Olds/Caddy stick shift stuff is hard to find and spendy when you do

loudbang likes this.
  24. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I do know someone that found a few guys that wanted a tremek, they all went together and bought a pallet of I think 5 or 6 and the price drop was amazing!

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's part of swimming upstream and not having what everyone else has. Financially, it makes no sense but it is my happy place, so out goes logic.

Ned Ludd, warbird1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it does I have an Oldsmobile flywheel.

loudbang likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well that's an easy one..........just spend more money on your motor;)

kadillackid, Hotrodmyk, ls1yj and 8 others like this.
  28. deuceman32

deuceman32

10-4, Root. Having it exactly our way is why we do it, after all.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a small pile of T5's. Each of them should be rebuilt, which is not that hard, but all are functional. I have NWC S10 models 1352-145, and at-least one Mustang WC one. I'd have to check the tag on the Mustang one.

All are up for grabs.

I have seen 500-hp Fox body Mustangs do hard launch after hard launch up at Sears Point, with a prepped WC T5, and slicks, without failure.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not weak. The Borg-Warner torque ratings are not for shock-load. those ratings are for continuous load, all day, every day.