Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel gauge not working

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oakmckinley, Mar 19, 2017.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

image.jpg hey I have an inoperable fuel gauge in my Valiant. It's a gauge on a circuit board.
    image.jpeg
    I pulled it apart and it looks dark inside where the temp gauge looks tan? These run on the same voltage limiter and the temp gauge was working.
    I have grounded the wire coming off the tank at the fuel sender with no movement in the fuel gauge?
    Could I swap the gauges? Pretend the temp gauge is the fuel gauge just to see if it moves?
    Also when I checked the ohms at the float/sender it read zero?

Any info would be great! Thanks!

2. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

I'm no electrician but when I test the working temp gauge for ohms (resistance)? It reads good. Or zero which I think it good. And the circuit board where the fuel gauge plugs in read zero or good again. I get no reading off the fuel gauge itself.

Im kinda a dummy when it comes to multimeters and there's probably an easier way but hey I'm trying. Haha

3. rickl

rickl

Figure out what the sending unit is at full tank. Find an old volume pot or variable resistor. Dial in to the same resistance. Add the pot in series with the 12v battery. If the the gauge measure full, the gauge is ok.

You will need to verify if the gauge runs on 12v or some lower regulated voltage. I think Fords like 6 to 8 volts.

If you are in the Twin Cities, i can help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Thanks for the help.
    It's on a Plymouth Valiant although I think it's the same ohm readings for both ford and Chrysler.
    The gauge is dead. I'm pretty sure the sender is dead too.
    I picked up a new sender and an aftermarket cheap gauge. (A replacement Mopar was $125!!)
    I'm gonna pull the tank in the next few days. I'll report back what I find in case anybody has a similar issue.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

not electrical ...
    in the early 1980's i had a '47 tudor 6v... i converted all the lights to 12v and put the hot wire to the gauges on a push button switch...
    push the button, check the levels,, let off it ...
    6v gauges in the 12v system worked for the 2 years i owned it...