Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Air over leaf on a 53 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey everyone

I just wanted to ask some advice/opinions on air bag/air over leaf suspension. I want to lower the back end of my 53 Chevy about 3 inches. Not crazy low, just kind of low. Its got the stock springs in the rear at the moment. What I was hoping for was to remove a few leafs, C notch the chassis and run an air over leaf setup. With the air over leaf I wanted to ask, can you have it sitting there not really doing anything and only inflate it when you need a height boost to get over steep driveways and such? What I was hoping for is to use air assist to lift the rear of the car about three inches just to occasionally get me out of trouble, but when cruising have the bags deflated and just have a simple tankless compressor in the rear for when I need a boost. This car is my daily driver and I'm just trying to find a bullet proof way to keep this car practical and reliable while staying low to the ground. Would a system like this work? Would it ride like ass with the leafs removed? I already get a bit of axle tramp with the 2 inch lowering blocks so I imagine putting in bigger lowering blocks will make that worse. Should I bite the bullet and go 4 link and ditch the leafs? I look forward to hearing some advice.

Cheers

J

2. I have Air Over Leaf on my truck for much the same reasons. Deflating them completely however may not be a good idea. The bags would fold in on themselves and cause rubbing damage . enough air to keep the shape will also help the ride after you've removed the leafs.

3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

How much lift can you get with the bags? What kind of inflation system are you running?

4. It could lift about 6 inchs I think,but I've never fully extended them. Originally I just had a "T" fitting with a valve. Air up with a portable 12v compressor . This didn't help the cornering very much as air would transfer to the unladen side. Last year I installed an onboard compressor [no tank] and a controller for each bag. The truck rides much better this way.

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I like the sounds of that setup. Nice and simple!

6. Simple, eh? Here's simple. 3" blocks in the back. Yeah, it bottomed out on really hard bumps with someone in the back seat and a full tank but I "adjusted" for it.
    52chevy_1981.jpg

7. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

You need a air tank for volume. If you only run a air compressor to the bags, it will take 5 mins plus to inflate them to get over the obstacle, or driveway. These leaf springs are narrow, and they will crack and you will get axle warp under acceleration. Yes it can be done, no I would not.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

One thing to consider that I have seen many times is when either a lot of leafs are taken out or spring rate seriously reduced or big lift blocks the spring will deflect more under acceleration/ brake which can cause other issues like driveline vibration , unless you have some kind of traction bar to counter act axle rotation also

gimpyshotrods and X38 like this.
  9. Should an air tank always be used? Even with separate valves and gauges? I air up to ride height and keep it there.

10. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Daaaang air ride gets expensive when you add in a 4 link, front bags (stock front end), brackets and every other component involved. Just for parts I've been quoted $4000 AUD ($3100 USD) for a complete 4 link, notch, and air ride compressor and control kit. That's just for parts. I feel like it shouldn't be that expensive.