Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC ramshorn exhaust manifold ( Update )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Mar 9, 2017.

1. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

If you use the flat flange make sure you have flex in your exhaust mounts I have seen rams horns break at the flange

48stude and roadstar like this.
  2. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little late , just saw this thread , but a friend had a similar problem in an OT truck engine swap and we milled the exhauset manifold at an angle , 5 degrees if I recall, this tilted the manifold in tighter to the head and solved the problem.

RODIST likes this.
  3. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have used the cast iron versions of these manifolds on 2 builds and both have performed great. No leaks, no cracks and they look great. IMHO.

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good to hear that id like a set,any issues with plug leads burning

5. I haven't done this since the 60's but you can saw cast iron and section an inch or so out, angle the flange and braze it back together. Or doesn't anyone gas weld anymore?

Used to do split manifolds that way and never had one fail.

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I ran the plug wires off the distributor, behind the heads and behind the manifolds. Lots of room.

7. If you were in Rockmart GA, Bones Muffler Shop would take care of it, make the system look like it grew there, and get you out the door for a fair price. If you just want to get the parts, I'd send you up to Powell's Auto Parts in Rome which features gray-haired old parts guys who predate computers. They know their stuff, will come up with what you need, and treat your right on the price.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

good info here as i was about to chunk my block hugger headers and run manifolds . I have to admit, i thought you were screwed with location of steering box/shaft. FYI folks might try ecklers late great chevy club for exhaust parts for this style manifold.

48stude likes this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It would be easier to do with the new manifolds instead of trying it with a used one but I thought he had a chrome manifold that he wanted to use.

10. 48stude

48stude

I had bought those chrome ones a couple years ago or so. Since then I had read about those imports where the chrome would peel off after some heat cycles. So I decided to use them for mock up, then to the swap meet .
    I bought some black ceramic coated ones. Bill
    2017-03-19 21.06.58.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

IMG_20170320_192858.jpg Good thread
    I have a set of 1970 Corvette ones that measure 2.25 across
    Bought a set of tight tuck headers but decided to keep the Rams
    Ignore the non era correct engine accessories

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    48stude likes this.
  12. I sand blasted mine and painted them with POR15 manifold paint, bake in the oven @ 400 for 2 hours. A very durable finish.