Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 ford coolant sender location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, Mar 18, 2017.

1. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

In the process of putting a 37 ford truck together I bought in pieces. It has the original gauges and the temp gauge works so I was hoping to reuse it. Problem is I can't seem to figure out where the sender goes into the engine. The only port on the head is to small and the bulb won't even fit let alone the threaded end. I feel like I'm missing something can anyone help? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I can tell you those inlets get very corroded over the years. Odds are your hole needs a good reaming.
    Normally it's a very tight fit even without corrosion.

3. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

I was thinking the same but it doesn't look like the plug that was in the head has ever been out. I was thinking about drilling the hole out bigger and taping it to fit

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I think the wells might be FPT. Looks like a 3/8-24 NF bolt was used to plug this well. So it's probably a 1/8-27 FPT well. Jack E/NJ

6. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Ok chased the threads and can now get the bulb to fit in but it sits flush on top of the head with no way to thread the nut into the head. I must be missing something. Plus the nut has a much larger hole through the center so there's no way it will seal. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Just checked my 21-studder's well. It's 3/8 FPT. The sender doesn't use a nut. It's electric. Different than your setup. Jack E/NJ

8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Any chance it mounts in the water pump?

9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Ask the question on the barn. Jack E/NJ

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There might have been some kind of adapter to make it work or the 37 used a different style of head.

11. 42merc

42merc

Looks like you have the remnants of a plug or an adapter in the head.
    The hole should be 3/8 NPT (pipe thread).
    Originally there was a brass adapter that screwed into the head & accepted the temp gauge capillary tube & nut. A Ford item, you might need to advertise for one.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  12. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

I don't think there is anything left in the head. Finding the adapter I guess is what I need to do. I'm not seeing it listed for sale on macs site. Guess I'll ask this question at the ford barn. Thanks for all the help hopefully I can find what I need to keep the factory gauge

13. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Just to put some closer to this thread and maybe help someone in the future I found the adapter bushing needed to install the original gauge. The old steel bushing was broke in the head. I managed to drill most of it out and clean the rest out with a 3/8 npt tap. I got the bushing at Napa part number g60615-0606. It's a 3/8 npt male to 5/8 female bushing.

Petejoe likes this.
  14. 42merc

42merc

A question, does the NAPA bushing have a seat for the capillary bulb so the nut will tighten against it ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Yes it does have a seat for the capillary tube. Everything is installed and once I get coolant in it I'll know if it's sealed